Yeti GOBOX Collection

lightweight mt rifle

I have a Weatherby Mark V featherweight in 30/06 that feels like a little toy its so light. Think their right at a $1000 now

Got a Sako Finnlight in 300 short mag topped with a Swaro 6x18 x50 with the TDS reticle. Awesome mountain rile. seems like last i checked, it was just under 10 lbs with scope, bibod, and sling.

I'm actually thinking of selling it now that i got my custom rifle finished. Its been in the field only about 8-10 days.

Got the same gun with a Luepold scope. I had the Kimber in 300 wsm and then the Sako Finnlite and there is no comparison with the way they feed and shoot IMO. The Sako hands down fed the WSM rounds much smoother, plus the 5 shot 1" or better @ 100 yards that Sako touts beats the hell out of Kimber will stand behind when you send it back because it wont group:cool: I had trouble getting my Kimber to shoot, sent it back, no love. Spent a ton reloading with no luck finding a happy place with that gun. Bought the Sako and it tossed every reload I tried down range 1" or better and best group of .375"
I am not crazy about the Sako stock, but it is a shooting dream none the less.

Last edited:
Got the same gun with a Luepold scope. I had the Kimber in 300 wsm and then the Sako Finnlite and there is no comparison with the way they feed and shoot IMO. The Sako hands down fed the WSM rounds much smoother, plus the 5 shot 1" or better @ 100 yards that Sako touts beats the hell out of Kimber will stand behind when you send it back because it wont group:cool: I had trouble getting my Kimber to shoot, sent it back, no love. Spent a ton reloading with no luck finding a happy place with that gun. Bought the Sako and it tossed every reload I tried down range 1" or better and best group of .375"
I am not crazy about the Sako stock, but it is a shooting dream none the less.

Wow, i had a 300 short in Kimber Montana as well. Sold it right after i won it. I love the stock on my Sako Finnlight..........My finnlight is consistently shooting .5 to .75 groups every time at 100 yds.

I really wanted a super light rifle too when i first started but quickly realized that its far more important to have a good shooter even if you have to sacrifice a pound or so........

Thanks for all the insight guys. The Kimber Montana's are nice but I didn't really like the grip on the stock. I've never picked up a Sako Finnlight but I've heard lots of good things about them.

Just for discussion- Do you think there is a noticeable difference between a 270 and 270WSM? I grew up hunting deer with a 270 but I switched to the 270wsm when I moved to AK (good deal on a used gun). I also went from using cheap cup and core bullets to the 130grain barnes triple-shocks. I'm not really sure if the difference I noticed was more the gun or the bullets>

Again thanks for the comments.

Thanks for all the insight guys. The Kimber Montana's are nice but I didn't really like the grip on the stock. I've never picked up a Sako Finnlight but I've heard lots of good things about them.

Just for discussion- Do you think there is a noticeable difference between a 270 and 270WSM? I grew up hunting deer with a 270 but I switched to the 270wsm when I moved to AK (good deal on a used gun). I also went from using cheap cup and core bullets to the 130grain barnes triple-shocks. I'm not really sure if the difference I noticed was more the gun or the bullets>

Again thanks for the comments.

My Sako 75 Finnlight 270WSM is a tack driving easy carry rifle.IIRC, it's proposed velocity advantage is about 100 fps...neglible IMO Recently added a 300 Win Mag Finnlight that prints and carries just as well.

Great looking gun critter. Rumor has it that my gunsmith is starting on mine after a years time.
Bought a new 700SA from midway $500.00
HS stock was around $400.00
Shilen stainless barrel was $300.00 or $400.00 cant remember
Jewl trigger $180.00
Not sure what the floor plate trigger guard, oversized recoil lug,and gunsmithing are going to cost.Im not giong to have the action trued up just having my gunsmith chamber it for 7mm-08 and getting the barrel put on the right way.Just looking to have a good 400-500yd rifle.I am going with the talley lightweight rings on the gun also.I had leupold build me a scope from the custom shop 2.5-8 power36mm with the CDS dial.I asked the gunsmith about trueing the action he told me he would if I wanted it done.After talking it over with him he said the main thing for accuracy was to get a quality barrel and have it fitted to the action right.For benchrest shooting he advised to true up the action but for hunting this way would be fine.I hope it shoots good we will see.

Critter is your barrel bead blasted on that gun? I opted to not have mine bead blasted and am hoping its not going to give of to much glair.If it does I might just get it duracoated. Mine wont be polished stainless its going to be just the way it comes after being cut.

174in - how much does your gunsmith want to true the action? If this is going to be your go to gun, have it done. Your putting a chunck of change into the rifle, don't skimp on something that will potentially affect accuracy. A rifle can't be to accurate.

Anyone a fan of Browning XBolts?

I've been contemplating moving from my A-Bolt in 7mm RemMag to a .300WSM for pretty much the sole reason of shortening my rifle. The A-Bolt in 7mm RemMag has a 26" barrel and a longer action and the X-Bolt in .300WSM has a 23" barrel and a shorter action. It comes out to almost 4" shorter overall. Scrambling through trees and brush in the dark with my rifle in my eberlestock pack ends up with a lot of ducking and scratches on the stock as it hangs up on tree limbs as it sticks up higher than my head. Something I never really contemplated when buying the longer gun.

Critter is your barrel bead blasted on that gun? I opted to not have mine bead blasted and am hoping its not going to give of to much glair.If it does I might just get it duracoated. Mine wont be polished stainless its going to be just the way it comes after being cut.

The barrel, action, and bolt were all hard chromed..............love that hard chrome finish.

Anyone a fan of Browning XBolts?

I've been contemplating moving from my A-Bolt in 7mm RemMag to a .300WSM for pretty much the sole reason of shortening my rifle. The A-Bolt in 7mm RemMag has a 26" barrel and a longer action and the X-Bolt in .300WSM has a 23" barrel and a shorter action. It comes out to almost 4" shorter overall. Scrambling through trees and brush in the dark with my rifle in my eberlestock pack ends up with a lot of ducking and scratches on the stock as it hangs up on tree limbs as it sticks up higher than my head. Something I never really contemplated when buying the longer gun.
The difference in barrel length makes up for 3" of the difference. Cut the 7 Mag to 23" and the difference would only be 1". You wouldn't lose enough velocity to be worried about either and you'd get to keep adding 'character' to your rifle.

Didn't even think about that. How much does it cost to get a barrel cut? Isn't the crown on the barrel critical for accuracy?

I'd go 700 in some form or Model 7 if you want a short action. For the time I'd put a Banser stock and Either S/K or Talley lightweight rings on it and call it good.
Shoot it with the factory barrel for the time. That way down the road you have the platform for a highly custom lightweight rifle. One year you could send the bolt out to be skeltonized and slowly add lightweight components until you are ready to have re barreled to the caliber of choice based on your action. Makes for an easy sub 7lb rifle. I think of $1k you could have it ready to go minus scope

Back