1874 sharps

Bigjay73

Looking into buying an 1874 Sharps. I plan on picking up an elk rifle tag next year, and the thought of using a single shot, open sight rifle in a big slow dumb caliber has piqued my interest. What's a good option/ brand for someone wanting one for what few more rifle hunts I have in me, and a lot of shooting at the range? There's a lot of options out there, not sure what's what. Budget isn't unlimited, but I have some leeway thanks to my ex wife's new husband/ alimony killer🤣🤣

Budget isn't unlimited, but I have some leeway thanks to my ex wife's new husband/ alimony killer
Congrats

Congrats

I've drooled over that one..May be a bit over budget, but it's definitely a beauty.

Congrats

A fellow at our local range allowed me to operate that very model @100 yards...fun, manageable, and very accurate.

Congrats

I stopped at Shiloh Sharps on a trip through Big Timber. Wow! Those rifles are impressive.

Should add that I'd like a rifle that can responsibly take elk at 200yds and shoot targets at 1k. Does such an animal exist?

I picked up this Pedersoli 1874 sharps this summer. (45-70)
I've only shot it a handful of times, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cow elk out to 200 yards. It's really quite accurate.

Screenshot_20231213_123420_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231213_123451_Gallery.jpg

405gr cast bullet from Rim Rock Bullets in Montana.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213_124314_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_124314_Gallery.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Shes a beauty. Double set trigger and rear tang sight are definitely on the list. That's probably pretty much what I'm looking for, what length barrel is that?

You need to put your deposit in at Shiloh for a Mt Rough Rider in 45-70 with a 30 inch heavy half barrel. You can kill an elk at 200 yards "with practice" and with the proper load a 1000 yards target shooting is totally possible. Other calibers are also available but the big cases such 45-90, 45-100, 45-110, 50-90 all should be shot with black powder due to the large case capacity. Some guys get by with smokeless with certain powders, but the recoil and pressures can be high. Shiloh recommends only factory produced ammo if you're going the smokeless route such as the 45-70.

I have 4 Shiloh's, one in 40-65, 2 45-70's and 1 45-100. In 2016 I Shot at the Nationals at the Whittington Center in Raton. In the Creedmoor match I won the top scope class. I used my Mt. R.R. in 45-70 topped with a MVA 6x scope.

Other brands of Sharps can shoot good, but they will not come close to the quality of a Shiloh Sharps. The old saying "buy once cry once" really applies in this case. No matter what brand you buy the 45-70 is the best choice.

Wow, you've been around the block, thanks for the tips. I am really looking to reload, 45-70, is there a specific reason shiloh recommends against it? Wouldn't want to risk damaging a rifle.

Wow, you've been around the block, thanks for the tips. I am really looking to reload, 45-70, is there a specific reason shiloh recommends against it? Wouldn't want to risk damaging a rifle.
you can push 4570 pretty hard in Marlins and Ruger #1s. I think it's their CYA if someone stuffs a +P load in their gun or uses spicy load data

Mine has the 34" barrel.
I reload as you can see. The main thing is use 45-70 Govt load data.
I'm use IMR 4198 and have not had any issues with pressure and the recoil is not bad at all.

Should add that I'd like a rifle that can responsibly take elk at 200yds and shoot targets at 1k. Does such an animal exist?
Countless numbers of them exist. Black powder, white powder, muzzle loaders, breech loaders.

What @Dan O said about the quality of Shilohs is absolutely true. They are the best rifle manufacturer in America, and its not even close. You can buy one used in a New York minute or have one tricked out to your specific dreams.

If you want to be serious about 1000 yd targets, you will want to shoot lead bullets, cast your own. I shoot 1000 yd matches regularly with a .45-70 and black. However, I use bore diameter paper patched bullets exclusively. But if you're thinking about grease groove bullets you will be best served by a. 45-90. Those two calibers run away with the gold.

I will say that the best hunting rifle and the best target rifle are probably not the same. If you're super serious about both, you would benefit from 2 rifles. They could be the same caliber but set up differently.

I could go on endlessly, but that's enough for now. I'd be happy to answer any questions and help find you a rifle.

There is nothing inanimate more dear to my heart that singleshot hunting a d target rifles.

Wow, thanks. I wouldn't be able to purchase a second one for some time, my primary use will be hunting. Range time will largely be for practicing at 300 yds, but I'd like to shoot 800-1000 for the fun of it. I'll have to research the pros and cons of the different bullets, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I just want a beautiful rifle that I can have a lot of fun with, will effectively kill animals, and that I cab pass on down to my kids when the time comes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back