MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Guidance on choosing a new barrel or new rifle

Anytime someone is super focused on an 'ultralight' rifle, I always think they should just spend more time in the gym and either lose the couple pounds they're hoping to save, or gain a couple pounds of muscle so the can carry a normal rifle that shoots better than an ultralight.
I'm already a fitness god and you can't prove otherwise 😅

Anytime someone is super focused on an 'ultralight' rifle, I always think they should just spend more time in the gym and either lose the couple pounds they're hoping to save, or gain a couple pounds of muscle so the can carry a normal rifle that shoots better than an ultralight.
But seriously I agree 100%. It's still fun to have nice toys though!

After carrying around an 8-9lb rifle all through my youth, and middle years, I've come to really appreciate a lighter rifle.

They aren't that welcoming to shoot from the bench, but that's not what they are intended to do.

When you're lugging a pack with a water bladder, knife, binoculars, range finder, food, maybe a spotting scope and tripod, first aid kit, and other essentials.
Heck, here in the east you may have a climber, or saddle stand and sticks with you also.
The 2-3lbs you save on rifle weight doesn't seem like all that much from the outside.
But it carries better, and makes a HUGE difference as you put miles away from the truck!!

Plus let's face reality. While hunting your rifle is mostly being carried, with one or two shots being taken, IF we are lucky!

Hey folks!

I've never been quite satisfied with the accuracy of my Savage 16 LWH with the factory 20" 1:9.5 7mm-08 barrel, and have been looking at new barrel options. As much as I'd love to drop $1000+ on a premium tube, it's hard to stomach that in light of all the great guns that can be bought for the same or less $$. It looks like I could put together a fluted criterion barrel from NSS for less than $700, or a carbon barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles for a little less than $800.

Does anyone on here have experience with either of those, and do you recommend them?

Or do you think I'd be better served investing in a new rifle from the get-go?

I won't be getting rid of the Savage either way, as it was my first hunting rifle and a birthday gift from my wife, but even if I can find a handload with good accuracy, the pencil barrel seriously limits my ability to practice before the barrel gets scalding hot.

Whether with this rifle or a new one, the long-term goal is an ultralight backpack hunting rifle with a folding stock. In that sense, this whole project long-term has a $3k price limit, because if I'm going to spend that, I'll just buy a new Savage Ultralight Elite.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice!
Those Criterion barrels shoot really well. Look into X-Caliber and Preferred also. I'd stay away from carbon unless you like the look.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back