suppressor length on hunting rifle

Bulldog0156

Seems like most people tend to like short barrels and 7" or less suppressors on hunting rifles. I've got a 22" barrel on my 6.5 creedmoor and I'm torn between a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 and 9. I like the idea of more suppression in the 9 but the 7 will probably be a bit more manageable. I do hunt all types of terrain so definitely run the risk of either setup being a bit lengthy at times.

Curious for real world experiences from those that have run both lengths while hunting. What length barrel did you have, what length suppressor did you prefer, and what were the factors that helped you make your determination?

Worst case scenario, I can always buy another one later if I decide I made the wrong choice. Maybe that should play into my strategy ;)

I don't have the Ultra 9, but I do have an Ultra 7 and an Ultra 5. I use the Ultra 5 on both a 7 SAUM and a 300 RUM. Obviously the Ultra 7 is quieter, but a hunting situation should be fewer shots and I like the shorter length for maneuverability. For range/competition use I use the Ultra 7 or an even longer Griffin Armament. Personally either of the Ultras are great for hunting, but I chose the 5".

I have the ultra 7 on a 24” barrel. I like it and have no complaints.

I've got a Thunderbeast Dominus for work- A little shorter than the Ultra 7 (0.75" shorter), but meters the same due to the 0.3" larger diameter. On a 20" .308, it's pretty dang quiet. It's not Ultra 9 quiet, but for nearly 3" shorter, it would be more maneuverable.

For personal, I've got a SiCo Scythe Ti in jail.

I have the ultra 7 in jail awaiting Uncle Sam. I had barrels cut down to 22 for the range and 18 for hunting.

I think the 22” is a good all around length. The 18” looks like Danny DeVito in the movie twins. It’s just an ugly rifle now.

The banish 30 converts to both a 7 and a 9. I’m sure there are others that do that too. Something to think about

I have an ultra 7 and used it for a year on a 22" barrel, didnt like that much length. Have a couple barrels cut at 18" now for suppressed use and the next hunting can in jail is a sico scythe which will be 5.8ish inches long with a flush end cap, lighter than an ultra 7, and i expect it to be about as quiet.

So to answer your question, i'd not want a 9" can on a 22" barrel but if it were id get a fatter one for even more suppression than the u9.

Dead air nomad ti on a 20 inch barrel -300 win mag. Had a fluted 24 inch barrel that I wasn’t able to cut down and thread, so I got a 20 inch and it works perfect.

Ended up landing on the Ultra 7. Part of the decision was I wanted something caliber-specific. I'd love to see some of those fatter suppressors come in a 6.5mm specific setup vs. 30 caliber. I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm never going to get something bigger than a 6.5 mm because I don't like recoil so I have a hard time buying a suppressor that's sized for a 30 caliber rifle-seems like it's leaving some suppression on the table.

Something tells me I will end up buying more in the future as technology improves ;)

I've got the ultra 7 that's used on a 20" 7saum. I wouldn't any more length personally for a gun that gets packed around a lot. It's essentially the same length overall as a standard 26" barrel. My 22-250 is 22" and that one doesn't bother me for what it is, never pack it very far, etc. My former elk gun has a 26" barrel and knew I wouldn't want anything much more than that overall.
It really comes down to personal preference, how you carry the rifle, type of hunts it's for, etc. Like anything I am sure a guy could get used to about anything in most scenarios.

Personally if I was to put a longer setup together I'd rather have barrel length for performance vs long suppressor for noise. Specifically in a hunting scenario. But the other side to that is short barrels don't always mean poor performance, there's ways to get some of that back especially with certain cartridges.

Thunderbeast does make some bigger diameter versions now, I would likely consider one if I was to get another. More suppression in same or less length.

Have you looked at the silencerco scythe? Adds 6” or so and has really really good suppression
Negative- I was sticking to looking at suppressors that were specifically made for 6.5mm rifles. It does look good though, I like the specs. Drank the kool-aid with Thunderbeast.

Pretty safe bet I will be getting more in the future; I like tinkering.

I have 5", 7" and 9" cans with a TBAC Dominus (6.25") currently in jail. I carry the 5" on my big game rifles with 22" barrels and find it the most convenient for that purpose. The sound suppression isn't on par with the 7" but it is nicer to carry. If I were to only have one can, a 7" would be my choice at this time for the balance of suppression and length.

Also, the difference in sound suppression between the 6.5mm cans and the 30 cal cans are minimal at best. You may want to consider a 30 caliber can instead of a 6.5 due to its versatility.

I have a 7 and 8” can. I run barrels from 18-26”. If I’m in open country the 26” barrel is coming with. If we are in timber I’m going with the shorter barrel for sure.

I like 20-22” as the best barrel length with the suppressors.

Putting an Ultra 9 on a 26", if it sucks, I'll cut the barrel a cpl inches.
I had a 8” Lane suppressor that I put on a 26” 7RM. It was a telephone pole. I couldn’t cut the barrel because of the fluting so I’ve got a new Benchmark barrel w/ a 8 twist coming that will be finished at 20”.

I also wanted a faster twist. Looking to shoot a 145gr tipped Hammer or maybe a little heavier if they come out with one.

I had a 8” Lane suppressor that I put on a 26” 7RM. It was a telephone pole. I couldn’t cut the barrel because of the fluting so I’ve got a new Benchmark barrel w/ a 8 twist coming that will be finished at 20”.

I also wanted a faster twist. Looking to shoot a 145gr tipped Hammer or maybe a little heavier if they come out with one.
After that chop I'd go with a lighter mono. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back