lightweight mt rifle

Got a Sako Finnlight in 300 short mag topped with a Swaro 6x18 x50 with the TDS reticle. Awesome mountain rile. seems like last i checked, it was just under 10 lbs with scope, bibod, and sling.

I'm actually thinking of selling it now that i got my custom rifle finished. Its been in the field only about 8-10 days.

Got a Sako Finnlight in 300 short mag topped with a Swaro 6x18 x50 with the TDS reticle. Awesome mountain rile. seems like last i checked, it was just under 10 lbs with scope, bibod, and sling.

I'm actually thinking of selling it now that i got my custom rifle finished. Its been in the field only about 8-10 days.

Really that heavy. I want a mountain/hiking rifle not a bench rifle. How much does just the rifle weigh? I'm trying to get down to 7lbs ready to hunt weight.

You might look for a used Kimber MT on Gunbroker. They are pretty nice rifles. I just picked one up (.300 WSM) from a friend of mine and am excited to get it set up. My hunting partner really likes his. The synthetic stock holds up to all kinds of abuse and the barrel and action are good if you plan to encounter rain/snow. We were hunting in rain for a couple mornings this fall, to the point that water was running out the actions of the rifles. My Remington had rust forming like mad, while we couldn't find a single spot on the Kimber...

Really that heavy. I want a mountain/hiking rifle not a bench rifle. How much does just the rifle weigh? I'm trying to get down to 7lbs ready to hunt weight.

I have two plane jane M700 mountain rifles in 280rem. Ready to hunt they weigh 7.5 (Detachable mag version) and 7.3lbs (for the BDL). I bought the BDL with the intent to I want to swap out the stock, and coat it... I think I can shave maybe 6-8 oz with a Ti stock, and end up in the mid to upper 6lb range. You can pick these up for around $500 used. Both that I have shoot as well as I can, and regularly print 1/2 MOA 3shot groups with handloads.

I couldn't warm up to the Tikas plastic parts, not that pot metal aluminum is much better.

If I plan on spending a grand plus...I'm going custom/semi-custom and never looking back.

I'm pretty much over it with compromising on a standard model of any kind.

bnkwnto,
Have you thought of the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather? It is stainless with a fluted barrel, synthetic B&C stock and comes in all the WSM calibers. It weighs 7lbs without a scope so that may be a bit higher than your 6lb limit?
The new Model 70 FNs are very well built and have some great accuracy.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110

I am a fan of the 300 WSM and that would get my vote. Very versital caliber.

Anyhow its some food for thought?

If I plan on spending a grand plus...I'm going custom/semi-custom and never looking back.

I'm pretty much over it with compromising on a standard model of any kind.

Every custom rifle I've looked up has been in a price range around $3000 plus. Heck I do a flyout hunt for the difference in price. Hunting in AK is expensive. What would you recommend if I went the custom route?

bnkwnto,
Have you thought of the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather? It is stainless with a fluted barrel, synthetic B&C stock and comes in all the WSM calibers. It weighs 7lbs without a scope so that may be a bit higher than your 6lb limit?
The new Model 70 FNs are very well built and have some great accuracy.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110

I am a fan of the 300 WSM and that would get my vote. Very versital caliber.

Anyhow its some food for thought?
mtelkhntr,
Thanks, I have thought about the Win 70 extreme weather. I may have to wait till I get back home and can actually put my hands on few different models. Still trying to stay light though.

I'd pick up a rem. 700 adl or bdl action (long or short depending on what you want, you can find them for $400ish...take your pick of any caliber you want, order a barrel from one of several good makers in your price range. Live a little and have a good smith, or the barrel maker true the action for you and install the barrel. Pick up a B&C stock via stockystocks. Bed, float and top with your scope of choice. Other than some trigger work...you're home.

Wont be even close to $3000...likely not even half that.

I'm half way through a build right now...and with lots of extras, I'll be in it less than $1500 including a leupold scope.

I'd pick up a rem. 700 adl or bdl action (long or short depending on what you want, you can find them for $400ish...take your pick of any caliber you want, order a barrel from one of several good makers in your price range. Live a little and have a good smith, or the barrel maker true the action for you and install the barrel. Pick up a B&C stock via stockystocks. Bed, float and top with your scope of choice. Other than some trigger work...you're home.

I'm half way through a build right now...and with lots of extras, I'll be in it less than $1500 including a leupold scope.
Yep. Same could be done with the M70 he currently has. Won't get quite as light as a Remington, but would be within 1/2# of it with everything else being the same and he'd save the donor action cost. The Ruger's not much of a candidate for a lightweight build as the actions are heavy and there's very few light stock options.

Pointer,

Thats very true...that would save $400 right off the top...could probably find a few ways to shave that 1/2# if a person were inclined...

Kimber Montanas are a great start to a lightweight rifle. Our of the box they are the lightest available, if it doesn't shoot rebarrel it with a quality barrel and you are in for slightly more than a used Ti but have a custom barrel.

I was deadset on steering clear of them for a long time, and geting a M70 Classic in SS. But as a package they are pretty darn complete. Where else can you get a stainless action and kevlar stock for $7/800 that is likely to be a good shooter, if not rebarrel.

Or you could just build one like my new toy:) 7mm short, 180gr bullets.

Nothing like having the first 5 shot group (after break in) out of the new rifle come in less than a dime..............final weight is 9.5 lbs.........perfectly fine with me:D shots were at 120 yds in a 15-20 mph wind off sandbags. Guy that built it for me shot it yesterday. i still haven't got to shoot it yet! this was the very first load he tried..........don't even think i'll try a different one:)

Attachments

• New Rifle sma.jpg
    New Rifle sma.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • New rifle Group small.jpg
    New rifle Group small.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,032

If you're fine with the generic calibers, you can get pretty much the same set up straight from the factory in the Kimbers, and it's CRF if that matter to you. Depending on where you live, it's kind of nice to not have to pay the sometimes ridiculous gunsmith prices.

Agreed...but I'm done compromising things like twist, barrel length, barrel contour, head stamps, etc. etc. etc.

bnkwnto,

I have an older Classic SS in 325. Scopped and sling it tops at just under 8. Not a lot of savings over his current line up.

What about the Nosler Trophy Grade rifle?

http://www.nosler.com/rifles/trophy-grade.aspx

Says the .300 wsm is 7lbs and the .300 Win Mag is 7 1/2. I have zero experience with it, but they've been getting great reviews. MSRP looks to be at the top of your range ($1800), but I'm sure street retail will come in a few hundred below that if you're lucky.

Emrah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back