Montana Mountain Goat

I'm sure the other guys have lots more pics to add to this story but I took more video than anything else. Here is the last one I snapped before we headed out to drop Ross off at the airport. The hike out on Thur. morning was accompanied by a steady rain and we were all soaked by the time we reached the trailhead.
I want to thank Randy11 for letting me tag along on this hunt and Ross for his generosity in attempting to loan me his tent. After unloading the bug screen and inadvertantly leaving the footprint of the tent at the truck as well, Ross kindly let me share his tipi/tent with him on the hunt. Thankfully there was a clear demarcation line where the support pole stood in the center of the tent so there weren't many awkward moments. Ross only snores modestly at night if any of you other Hunttalkers have the privelage of sharing a two man tent with him. He is also very patient when his tent mate gets up at two a.m. to empty his bladder and forgets to completely close the rain fly when he returns to bed. Even though the heavy downpour left him with a wet foot and a wet sleeping bag, he minimized the severity of the situation by comforting me that his boots weren't completely soaked. His good humor and willingness to add a hand wherever needed made him a great guy to have in camp. Even though he gave me grief about my "gypsy" pack, I'd be happy to buy him a Jr. Ranger burger and diet coke anytime.
Loren, was a great camera man, professional and proficient to the core and was more than willing to help advance my knowledge of my camera and give me tips on shooting. He only became momentarily frustrated when we changed locations of where we wanted to shoot trophy photos for the goat after he had his equipment all set up. Don't worry Loren, I knew most of the words anyway and I won't bother to look up the few I wasn't familiar with. :)
I also want to thank Big Fin for all his efforts and his good humor in camp. He was a great guy to be around, humble and generous to everyone. His determination and good attitude in spite of his health challenges are inspiring to me and even though we joked with him about the color of his hair making him a good goat decoy, I had a hard time keeping up with him when we were hiking. He truly is a great guy and I promise I would have said that even if he hadn't given me the $100 bill when I promised to type nice things about him. :)

Randy11's perseverance and efforts in scouting and hunting hard despite not feeling well for a good part of this hunt was rewarded with an amazing billy and he well deserves it. I hope that you have great memories of this hunt for a long time as you look at a magnificent full body mount and your photo album.

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Top 5 contender for thread of the year no doubt.

Congrats Randy11! That was the hunt of a lifetime. Thanks for bringing us along.

Who has the pics of Randy11 and his "I'm the Scapegoat" decoy hat? Not on my camera. Post 'em up, whoever has them.

Who has the pics of Randy11 and his "I'm the Scapegoat" decoy hat? Not on my camera. Post 'em up, whoever has them.

Loren has a copy of the video footage. When this episode airs, Randy's seductive nannie scamper will go viral. Despite the stories we have already woven, Big Hank actually charged down to the meadow we were camped in when he saw Randy's "Scapegoat Nanny" routine. The kill was a ninja karate chop to the jugular at two feet, when Big Hank attempted to romance "Scapegoat Nanny".

Attachments

• IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3616.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 772
A life-time adventure for sure and a beautiful goat as the final reward. Good thing this is all on video ............ well probably a good thing. Can't wait to see it, maybe a Hunt Talk early premiere showing???

Well, it appears I have missed out on the spinning of this yarn. Too much work today...

I am not sure how much more I can add to this already outstanding account. All I can say is that this group of guys was just awesome to share a hunt with and I would gladly pack quarters for any of them ;-). It isn't often that you can honestly say that I could not have had a better time if I had the tag myself! I have some pics and a couple of videos I will add Sunday, but my amateur efforts will not hold much water compared to Gerald and Loren's.

Randy, awesome goat, you deserve it! I know I told you that about a 100 times before we walked off that mountain, but it can't be overstated. Also, I think we now might be each other's good luck charms, so get ready for elk camp next fall!

This has been one of the best hunts I am likely to experience, and Gerald, thanks for helping me test out my dry down...

Awesome goat Randy, congrats. Great story, thanks all for sharing with us

Great pictures guys. I'm so glad I decided to have this hunt chronicled like this.

Gerald- I'm also glad you aren't holding it against me that I ate your mountain house while you were packing out my goat, then sat on the other mountain house you made in place. A bag of your wife's bars made into my bag somewhere along the line. They will be happily consumed in memoriam of the hunt.

Just an unbelievable experience, I'm still coming down off cloud nine. Spent the day butchering meat and getting all my gear sorted before I take I take off for Wyoming this weekend.

Just got done grilling up some backstraps for the wife and I. Flavor was great, texture was uh... I'll be experimenting to see how to loosen it up some.

image_zps5c3360b6.jpg

It hasn't really been talked about in this thread, but my health has made this hunt a huge question mark all summer. Multiple times I was close to sending this tag back in to fish and game, but luckily my wife talked me out of it each time. There was just no way I could physically pull this off without a ton of help. There really aren't words to describe how grateful I am to Randy, Ross and Gerald for taking their own time off and working so hard on this hunt. All three busted their asses way harder then I could've ever expected. I can't wait to get out and hunt with you guys again.

I hit the jackpot in drawing the tag, hit the jackpot in having such great friends to come and hunt with, and then hit the jackpot again in stumbling on such a giant billy.

Congrats. Nothing makes a hunt better than sharing it with good friends and family. Of course, A huge billy doesn't hurt either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back