Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshian

Long story short, i drew a Montana mountain goat tag and set off for what I was hoping to be up to a nine day long goat hunt only to find the one and only road into the district closed due to washed out bridge less than a mile into said district. I did the longest hike of my life yesterday (17.5 miles) into the country but didn’t see any goats. I was expecting to be able to atv much further in and then camp and explore from there but those plans got derailed. Any advice? I’m more than happy to pm unit specifics, etc. Not that it would do much good, but I’m debating contacting fwp to see what they have to say of anything

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 221
I was at this same trail head scouting three weeks ago and this closer and sign were not there. Some outfitters taking horses in said it happened like a week ago.

I do, but I'm about to be incommunicado for a week+. Probably should take the advice given in PMs.

Before lining up an e-bike, you might want to check with the local National Forest office to make sure e-bikes can be used beyond the gate.

That road will destroy an e-bike. You’ll end up pushing the bike more than half the time. You’ll push it more than 75% of the time if you put a bike trailer on it. And riding a bicycle with an 100 pound pack isn’t an option.

Just walk and spike camp. Or hire an outfitter and ride a horse. It’s a damn goat hunt not a whitetail doe tag.

Last edited:
An E-bike is a motorized vehicle. The sign says no motorized vehicles, so you'd have to take a regular bike.

So when the bridge wasn’t washed out guys can drive trucks in just fine or sxs or hell he could have e biked in. But now that the bridge is washed out a e bike will destroy the road? Even if a guy has to help push it up the hill it’ll come back down those hill nice with some extra weight

Dang. I have no info for you other than words of encouragement. Stick with it. A 17.5 mile mountain day is a hell of a thing. Goat or no goat, I believe there's a way forward where you will view this season as successful regardless.

Last edited:
So when the bridge wasn’t washed out guys can drive trucks in just fine or sxs or hell he could have e biked in. But now that the bridge is washed out a e bike will destroy the road? Even if a guy has to help push it up the hill it’ll come back down those hill nice with some extra weight
How fast can you ride a bicycle through stretches of road that resembles a boulder field? As someone who has ridden a bicycle on this very road, I assure you it will not come back down those hill nice, with or without some extra weight. It takes less energy to just walk.

But who am I to say; other than a guy that has done this exact thing on that exact road.

Definitely do not want to ride a e-bike or pedal bike on that road. Saw a few good billies up in that country a week ago. Not sure where they closed the road, but there are goats to be found up some of the side drainages to the west not too far past the main trailhead. PM me for the location of the billies I saw but most were all the way at the head of the main drainage.

That’s not a very good bicycle road. I wouldn’t worry too much about the “no motorized” sign as it pertains to e bikes, as the sign is more of a public safety thing to keep you off the collapsed bridge with your sxs or truck.
but the road is not a good road for pedaling.

I’d take theat’s advice. There’s always goats in those places. Walking the road only adds a few hours to anywhere else you’d want to go as well. It’s 5.9 miles if I recall. I’ve walked it a few times. Not fun to walk where you know you should be able to drive but it’s doable.

That’s not a very good bicycle road. I wouldn’t worry too much about the “no motorized” sign as it pertains to e bikes, as the sign is more of a public safety thing to keep you off the collapsed bridge with your sxs or truck.
but the road is not a good road for pedaling.

I’d take theat’s advice. There’s always goats in those places. Walking the road only adds a few hours to anywhere else you’d want to go as well. It’s 5.9 miles if I recall. I’ve walked it a few times. Not fun to walk where you know you should be able to drive but it’s doable.
Yeah add a day in to your plan on each end and get with it. Everyday that passes is one more day closer to getting weathered out on that hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back