Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO big mistake unless you are on a path to draw based on having the most points/guaranteed draw at some point.

for these perpetually lottery odds tags you put in every year and be glad you ever drew even if life deals you fewer days to hunt it. You cannot know when you will draw the lucky low draw number so trashing some years is terrible strategy.

the truth is you will probably never draw so throwing away 5 years for multiple draws per year is a bad strategy. better to sort out how to make it happen on short hunting time than to never draw.

I don’t disagree. But family is more important than hunting. At this stage in life gotta keep my perspective on what matters most.

But, that said, my wife allowed almost 10 days of hunting the same fall my baby was born, and I’ll rack up 14 days this fall with a baby spanning 12-14 months over that time frame.

So, I absolutely think we’d be able to make it work if I drew a sheep tag in the next few years.

But, knowing what having multiple children under 4-5 years old requires and what a sheep tag requires, i know that I’d be a happier, healthier, less murdered person, to just avoid that. It’s not worth it. The sheep tag would just be less fun and that would be travesty in of itself. I owe it to that hunt and my family to give each their best.

On top of that, I would still die a happy man if I never get to hunt MSG. But to each their own

I don’t disagree. But family is more important than hunting. At this stage in life gotta keep my perspective on what matters most.

But, that said, my wife allowed almost 10 days of hunting the same fall my baby was born, and I’ll rack up 14 days this fall with a baby spanning 12-14 months over that time frame.

So, I absolutely think we’d be able to make it work if I drew a sheep tag in the next few years.

But, knowing what having multiple children under 4-5 years old requires and what a sheep tag requires, i know that I’d be a happier, healthier, less murdered person, to just avoid that. It’s not worth it. The sheep tag would just be less fun and that would be travesty in of itself. I owe it to that hunt and my family to give each their best.

On top of that, I would still die a happy man if I never get to hunt MSG. But to each their own
The only thing worse than not drawing a tag is drawing it and not being able to do it the justice that you want. That is much harder to swallow than never drawing IMO.

I don’t disagree. But family is more important than hunting.

I would have felt ripped off if I didn't get to hunt moose, sheep, and goat.

Hunting has always been important to my family, and it's inclusive to who we are. I can't fathom my family not being supportive of each other when we draw once in a lifetime tags.

I don't think I could be around someone for long telling me they are "allowing" me to go hunting. Thankfully I'll never have to experience that kind of crap.

I don't think I could be around someone for long telling me they are "allowing" me to go hunting. Thankfully I'll never have to experience that kind of crap.

Easy there.

I’d rather be known for being a man that prioritizes family than a guy that’s known for always forsaking a working mom and our children to go engage in a selfish hobby.

Luckily when you do prioritize family it pays dividends in being able to spend lots of time hunting.

Doesn’t matter the hobby, if someone forsakes family for it I’d feel comfortable calling that individual a failure. And everyone’s situations are different in how they have to balance that.

Hunting ain’t everything. It’s just not. A young family is numero uno through and through.

Last edited:
Easy there.

I’d rather be known for being a man that prioritizes family than a guy that’s known for always forsaking a working mom and our children to go engage in a selfish hobby.

Luckily when you do prioritize family it pays dividends in being able to spend lots of time hunting.

Doesn’t matter the hobby, if someone forsakes family for it I’d feel comfortable calling that individual a failure. And everyone’s situations are different in how they have to balance that.

Hunting ain’t everything. It’s just not. A young family is numero uno through and through.
If it's your choice that's one thing, if it's someone controlling who you are, that's a whole different deal.

That isn't healthy or fair, and further it just isn't right. The outcome is as predictable as the day is long.

If it's your choice that's one thing, if it's someone controlling who you are, that's a whole different deal.

Well you take the word “allow” in reference to a specific time period in a context it shouldn’t be taken.

getting the green light to go hunting within six weeks of my wife being cut open and having a human ripped out of her… yeah, she allowed that, and I had no say if she didn’t. And thats absolutely okay.

If anything, she enables me to hunt when I shouldn’t be hunting more than the other way around.

At least in our marriage, if things ever got the point that she “disallows” me to hunt that would be more a reflection on me and my failings than her. Cause it would mean she’s identified a tipping point where I’ve made hunting more important than her or our family.

Last edited:
Ive got 2 kids and a wife. Im willing to be a bad dad/shitty husband for a OIL. Buy the wife some extra batteries and the kids a new Ipad. Dad is gone for the month 🤣
Well, if you’re a 6.5 creed shooter you may as well buy a paternity test for the kiddos instead of batteries for your wife’s boyfriends headlamp, but yeah.

Well you take the word “allow” in reference to a specific time period in a context it shouldn’t be taken.

getting the green light to go hunting within six weeks of my wife being cut open and having a human ripped out of her… yeah, she allowed that, and I had no say if she didn’t. And thats absolutely okay.

If anything, she enables me to hunt when I shouldn’t be hunting more than the other way around.

At least in our marriage, if things ever got the point that she “disallows” me to hunt that would be more a reflection on me and my failings than her. Cause it would mean she’s identified a tipping point where I’ve made hunting more important than her or our family.
Some of you guys are driving the joy of this thread right into “shank the thread” territory…Keep out of this sandbox and let the little boys play.

Last edited:
Next year when the special permit application deadlines draw near I hope some of you sniveling bitches think long and hard about throwing in if you’re worried about being able to find the WILL to do it. And if you do apply (mostly because MT let’s everybody with $10 do it) do yourself and everybody else a favor and keep your silly lame ass excuses about not giving a flying fugg about wiping your ass with the permit to yourself.

Relevancy here for starting a topic on the WWW where all hunters envious of a Montana MT goat permit can view how a lucky recipient, discouraged by challenge, quit VERY early, threw a tantrum, and went all Freddie Kruger on an expensive backpacking tent.

So for those whose wife, boss, religious congregation, dying grandmother, small children or herd of cats are just too much of a controlling factor in your lives — PLEASE leave the special permits to us obviously selfish pricks who are able plan and prioritize some things differently.

Wow....pissed it away, probably one if the best weather years in a long time to get after goats and it's pissed away. But let's look at the positive.....I learned what tent shanking is....I didn't know that was a thing. ......The More You Know!!

I drew a bull tag in Montana only rifle permit I’ve ever had. Hunted 21 days solo killed that bull the day before thanksgiving got home wife was pist. We both knew I wasn’t coming home unless I punched out. She wanted to fight about it the entire way to her parents in Boise. I told her that her arguments were irrelevant really I got the elk killed made it home and we will be there in time for dinner. It’s not thanksgiving yet just go

Ol boy generated 10x more anger than the level he was at when he shanked his tent for simply posting about quitting on a OIL tag. Think about that for a minute 😂.
Truest words on this whole thread.
Next year when the special permit application deadlines draw near I hope some of you sniveling bitches think long and hard about throwing in if you’re worried about being able to find the WILL to do it. And if you do apply (mostly because MT let’s everybody with $10 do it) do yourself and everybody else a favor and keep your silly lame ass excuses about not giving a flying fugg about wiping your ass with the permit to yourself.

Relevancy here for starting a topic on the WWW where all hunters envious of a Montana MT goat permit can view how a lucky recipient, discouraged by challenge, quit VERY early, threw a tantrum, and went all Freddie Kruger on an expensive backpacking tent.

So for those whose wife, boss, religious congregation, dying grandmother, small children or herd of cats are just too much of a controlling factor in your lives — PLEASE leave the special permits to us obviously selfish pricks who are able plan and prioritize some things differently.
How about no? I pay taxes, donate heavily to conservation, and have just as much right as you. I’ll keep applying for OIL tags, just won’t post anything regardless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back