Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Mountain Goat

----

I made a run over to my unit to check on current snow levels and hopefully get a little glassing in. I was hopeful that I'd be able to spot a goat or two from a long ways off, but was pleasantly surprised with being able to find a bunch in various parts of the unit. Other than what I think is one young lone billy, everything was nanny/kid groups.

There's still a fair amount of snow on the crest, so I don't expect all these goats to still be this low when I get back over there in a couple weeks.

What a fascinating animal to watch. I think a Nanny has got to have it as rough as anything when it comes to parenting. These kids are nonstop energy, and not bashful at all when it comes to headbutting, kicking, or climbing on the nanny's head while she's trying to sleep.

P1060242_zps890f6aa5.jpg

P1060235_zpsf0c2838f.jpg

P1060283_zps45c23bda.jpg

This is the one that I think is a young billy (somebody call b.s. on me if they think it's a nanny), and the same one in the bedded pictures. The black blob just to the right of him is what I'm pretty sure is the entrance of a tunnel. He got down on his knees and crawled in to it, and popped out about fifty yards away on the other side of a cliff a couple minutes later.

P1060299_zps164ba513.jpg

IMG_0403_zps398ab451.jpg

IMG_0408_zps63820b9e.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on drawing the tag. For sure this seems like the year of the mountain goat on hunttalk.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I made a VERY short stop looking for goats in my unit in Wyoming on my way back from Montana on Saturday and only got to spend maybe 30 minutes glassing for them but didn't see any. Hoping to go back through there and spend at least a day looking around in early August.

That is extremely cool. The beauty of drawing a tag isn't just the hunt itself, it's the summer of anticipation leading to it.

By the end of August, you will probably have names for all of them. Excited for you.

Cool stuff Randy! Like what you have posted and am looking forward to more of your scouting trips. You have got to be pumped for sure!

Great pics! Being able to get to country like that 'for the weekend' makes me hate you a little bit... ;)

This group has gotten good at drawing goat tags. Will be fun to follow along on another goat hunt all summer long!

Can't wait to follow along on this scout/hunt. Great pictures! You need to wait in that tunnel with a club and knife and kill one hand-to-hand combat. After the 261 hunt thread, this is the only way to balance out the fair chase continuum of Montana hunters. We are counting on you Randy, the tunnel is our only hope.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back