Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Registering your guns in MA

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Hopefully I will do lots of venison diplomacy over the next few years :)
You are going to have a blast - and a super opportunity for your obviously impressive wife.

That said, I wouldn't lead with the "dead animal in my freezer" line in Cambridge. Start out as a devoted vegan and inch towards "organic natural meat" slowly as the natives become comfortable with your foreign ways. :)

You could always just not move there?
His wife has a once in a lifetime (hard earned and highly coveted) opportunity. We can commiserate with his loss of 2A rights for a few years, but this is a very happy time! (especially for the future earnings potential that will fund many a future hunting boondoggle)

They do not... any because they don't a CC permit from MA isn't good in most states.

So if I jump through all the hopes to get a MA permit it wont be accepted if I choose to carry in WY, CO, NM, WA, OR, NY, PA, ME, etc etc.
As far as NY and handguns you have to have a NY pistol permit. It is rarely (more like never) that a non-resident of NY is granted one. If you don't live in NY you basically can't carry in NY. NY is or at least used to be a little more forgiving in the area of long guns.

His wife has a once in a lifetime (hard earned and highly coveted) opportunity. We can commiserate with his loss of 2A rights for a few years, but this is a very happy time! (especially for the future earnings potential that will fund many a future hunting boondoggle)

Appreciate the kind words :)

Though, I will move to MA... but I will never be a vegan. I mean have you had cheese.

@Bambistew Our new MA landlord (same department as my wife) works for 2 weeks every three months in Kotzebue. Who knows what will happen 🤷‍♂️

... also compared to all the forum members who are/were in the military, pssssh piece of cake.

I can relate... my exile in Maryland for 7 years was nearly unbearable, but worth it.

As I said in a previous thread...Jump on rte 2 or the Pike and head 40-50 miles west of Cambridge and things start to get a little more normal.
Your local police will most likely have 1 officer who handles firearms license renewals. FID license is usually fairly easy to obtain (long guns only) and is on a "shall issue" basis. LTC (large and non-large capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns etc.) is WIDELY variable city by city, is on a "May issue" basis...and Cambridge is not friendly to issuing LTC and they will most likely put restrictions on it (i.e. target shooting or hunting only) whereas the more reasonable parts of the state will issue with no restrictions or For Any Lawful Purpose.
Your Colorado Hunters Ed SHOULD qualify you to apply for an FID.

Any MA residents out there? (Boston specifically)

I'm looking to get some clarification on getting a FID. Does a CO Hunter's safety count?

Tried to call a couple of local and state agencies, but surprise with Covid it's hard to get a hold of anyone.
In my experience, asking firearms questions of the Mass police, or their state agency is a frustrating endeavor. People don't want to answer questions. I was only calling to see what the requirements were for transporting a rifle through the state.... Finally I called a gun shop near Boston and got the answer in about 5 seconds.

My friends son is a Registered Guide in NH. He moved to Massafornia about 5 years ago for work. He had to leave all his guns - rifles, shotguns & handguns at a friends house in a safe for about 9-10 months until he could legally take them to his new house! He could only posses his muzzleloader. I live in NYS, which is almost a tie with Massafornia for stupid assed gun laws thanks to Emperor Cuomo. But I don't think that much red tape is imposed.....

Maybe I should have included a wink emoji. 😉

Don’t want to have to see if VG’s pro bono services for an appeal would be extended to me.

In my experience, asking firearms questions of the Mass police, or their state agency is a frustrating endeavor. People don't want to answer questions. I was only calling to see what the requirements were for transporting a rifle through the state.... Finally I called a gun shop near Boston and got the answer in about 5 seconds.

No kidding.

Me: "Hi I am moving to MA, with some firearms and would like to get some clarifications on the laws to make sure I'm compliant"
FRB: "Ok, sure. You need to sign up for a fire arm safety class, fill out an application, interview, get finger printed, get your permit, then register all your firearms"
Me: "Sounds good, what is the grace period for having a gun in state without a license."
FRB: "60 days"
Me: "Under regular circumstances, assuming I take the firearm class the day I move to MA how long does the application process take?"
FRB: "You will get an interview within 60 days, then we, the FRB, will get the paperwork and we have 90 days to process your application"
Me: " So it could be 150 days"
FRB: "That is correct"
Me: "So I would be in illegal possession of firearms for 90 days, potentially"
FRB: "Yes"
Me: "And covid is slowing things down, and there are no classes being held, and you aren't doing interviews currently"
FRB: "Correct, we recommend you surrender your guns to your local authority before you move and then re-take possession after you have your permit."
Me: "..."
Me: "..."
Me: "Thanks for your help..."

Also... class costs $100, and the permit costs $100.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back