Registering your guns in MA

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28227

Any MA residents out there? (Boston specifically)

I'm looking to get some clarification on getting a FID. Does a CO Hunter's safety count?

Tried to call a couple of local and state agencies, but surprise with Covid it's hard to get a hold of anyone.

View attachment 137580
This is what I was referring to, the training requirement for an FID.
Since a big part of these types of laws is to make gun ownership a sufficient hassle that people just give up, I would be shocked if they gave you credit for CO class. My guess is the specific reference to their "Division of F&W" is not an accident. I would expect every step of the way will be made as cumbersome and inconvenient as possible. It's not just about "safety" - it is about culturally signaling that guns are not welcome in MA.

Since a big part of these types of laws is to make gun ownership a sufficient hassle that people just give up, I would be shocked if they gave you credit for CO class. My guess is the specific reference to their "Division of F&W" is not an accident. I would expect every step of the way will be made as cumbersome and inconvenient as possible. It's not just about "safety" - it is about culturally signaling that guns are not welcome in MA.
This is generally my thinking as well... considering just taking the concealed carry class and getting the highest level license, if you’re jumping through hoops might as well jump through them all.

Not that I was joking above, but on a more serious note, do they reciprocate other states concealed carry permits?

giphy.gif

Not that I was joking above, but on a more serious note, do they reciprocate other states concealed carry permits?

They do not... any because they don't a CC permit from MA isn't good in most states.

So if I jump through all the hopes to get a MA permit it wont be accepted if I choose to carry in WY, CO, NM, WA, OR, NY, PA, ME, etc etc.

Since a big part of these types of laws is to make gun ownership a sufficient hassle that people just give up, I would be shocked if they gave you credit for CO class.

Finally got through to someone in MA... yeah MA doesn't not give out-of-state hunting reciprocity 🤦‍♂️

So looks like I'm signing up for my 3rd hunter's safety class in 8 years.

Finally got through to someone in MA... yeah MA doesn't not give out-of-state hunting reciprocity 🤦‍♂️

So looks like I'm signing up for my 3rd hunter's safety class in 8 years.
surprise, surprise

You will also be thrilled to see how they work the overall permit to possess process - 60 day grace period for new resident with zero tolerance or allowance for extension. Registration process that requires the government to get back to you within 40 days, but they can merely ask for more info, or blow it off altogether with no particular punishment or recourse - and no extension to your 60 days. Now I assume they have better things todo than to bust applicants post-60 days, but still it is a ridiculous structure that puts all the risk on the evil person that wants to possess an evil hunting rifle in the enlightened commonwealth.

Off question a bit here....and having been forced to live in a neighboring state many years ago (CT)......are you being forced on threat of death to move there? Uggghhh. I have lived in all of the major regions of the US (Midwest, NE, SE, Intermountain West and West coast) and the NE (except for NH, VT, ME) makes my skin crawl.

surprise, surprise

You will also be thrilled to see how they work the overall permit to possess process - 60 day grace period for new resident with zero tolerance or allowance for extension. Registration process that requires the government to get back to you within 40 days, but they can merely ask for more info, or blow it off altogether with no particular punishment or recourse - and no extension to your 60 days. Now I assume they have better things todo than to bust applicants post-60 days, but still it is a ridiculous structure that puts all the risk on the evil person that wants to possess an evil hunting rifle in the enlightened commonwealth.

Yeah I'm glad I'm starting this now... I have no doubt that I still won't be legally allowed to have my hunting rifle in my home till December... glad I have cousins in Vermont.

The Cambridge area has a ton to offer and is a great place to be 30-something without kids. It's not so great with kids due mainly to cost of living for living space. And it's not a happy place for a gun owner. But lots of other good things about the area.

Off question a bit here....and having been forced to live in a neighboring state many years ago (CT)......are you being forced on threat of death to move there? Uggghhh. I have lived in all of the major regions of the US (Midwest, NE, SE, Intermountain West and West coast) and the NE (except for NH, VT, ME) makes my skin crawl.

New job for my wife... our next adventure.... 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully I will do lots of venison diplomacy over the next few years :)

Back