Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Long Range Turkey with Centerfire Rifle?

In the Spring? I agree with most of the sentiment here. Biggest concern is all the other hunters in camo who are trying to get close. Too much risk. And then there's the sporting side of it. The fun of turkey hunting is getting close and calling.

Now, I have shot a turkey with a .223 while deer hunting in the Fall when I still lived back in TX. We were sitting in the blind and hadn't seen a deer in a couple of days and we had a couple toms come in. Me and my father in law doubled up on them with rifles. We were on our own ranch. We knew there were no other hunters, and had a large pond in the background to block the shots. To me hunting turkeys in the Fall is totally different from a sporting standpoint than in the spring. The turkeys aren't mating, you don't typically go and just hunt turkeys. It's more a matter of out doing something else and run into them. A lot of states don't allow fall turkey hunting, or like here in UT it's only allowed on private lands.

can use rifles in the fall in colorado. i'm planning to do some bear hunting close to home this september and i will have a turkey tag in my pocket and I will shoot one with my rifle if i see one.

who the hell cares? i'll do it again too if it works out.

I see quite a few turkey's around here but have never hunted them. Always figured a 22 mag and head shots would probably be the way to go. But had a 222 Rem years ago that I could regularly hit sugar cubes at 100 yds with, that should work! Seems to me that hardest part of it would be hitting the head at longer range! It's the size of the target. Then again I've heard that they aren't all that great for eating too. That slows me down too. Older woman on a ranch my son spends a lot of time on want's him to shoot one for her, I guess she might have tried them before and actually like's eating them! Know another rancher near here that would like to see them all taken out. Seems he has a problem with them pooping all over the sidewalk to his house!

I see quite a few turkey's around here but have never hunted them. Always figured a 22 mag and head shots would probably be the way to go. But had a 222 Rem years ago that I could regularly hit sugar cubes at 100 yds with, that should work! Seems to me that hardest part of it would be hitting the head at longer range! It's the size of the target. Then again I've heard that they aren't all that great for eating too. That slows me down too. Older woman on a ranch my son spends a lot of time on want's him to shoot one for her, I guess she might have tried them before and actually like's eating them! Know another rancher near here that would like to see them all taken out. Seems he has a problem with them pooping all over the sidewalk to his house!
100% correct. Holler at me if you know anyone wants help eradicating those nasty pests. I'd even cook and deliver a plate to the old girl she might be able to choke down.

Why don't you man- buns make it sporting...head shots on chukars.🤣
I've killed gobblers with a bow, a shotgun and a rifle. AND Yes, I could snipe a chucker. Next you'll be whining if someone takes one with a sling shot, or a fly rod. Some thing are just too sacred.

• Haha
Reactions: Hem
There is talk about eliminating centerfires for the spring season in Wyoming. IMO that's a positive step to get someone who hasn't called gobblers in the spring, a great experience.
Wasn't that how it use to be not to long ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back