Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Long Range Turkey with Centerfire Rifle?

If you have birds located you can probably find a killer to help you out. Many hardcore types fill all their tags before season ends and are jonesin' hard later in the season.

I shot one at 10 yards with a 270 and the wife killed one at about 40 yards with a 223. The 270 actually made less of a mess than the 223, but would not recommend either, turkeys ain't meant to be shot with rifles bigger than a .22 mag.

Edit: And what everyone else said too: It's no fun and you'll kill someone shooting them long range.

You can shoot them with a muzzleloading rifle in GA. Hardly anyone bothers. Pointless.

I’ve shot a few with a rifle. .223 and .270.

Furthest shot was 296 yards.

Can’t say that they were damaged horribly.

Missed one with the shotgun last year at like 30 yards. Crawled in on him, he was hiding in some prairie grass, and when he jumped and took off I missed all 3 times.

You poked a hornet's nest that is almost sacred. Your topic has the chance to bring out the pitchforks and torches like a Creedmoor or crossbow thread. Strange how the extended range of TSS and other high performance turkey ammo is no concern, but you become horrible person if you want to tote a rifle for the same reason.

Most serious turkey hunters lose their mind, turn redder than the most lovestruck gobbler, and can't understand how anyone could shoot one with a rifle. Much like the tweed-jacketed-dry-fly-slinger going into convulsions when an adult male hurls a fat nightcrawler under a bobber into THEIR stream within one mile of THEIR chosen pool, riffle, or run.

Realize that if you choose to hunt somewhere that allows the use of centerfire rifles while turkey hunting you need to consider your backstop, shot placement, extended range of a rifle, proven ability up to a certain range, etc. Geez that sounds like I am talking about long range shooting doesn't it? If it's a legal "method of take" think about your suggested tactics and how it may work afield. And calling the local biologist or warden/conservation officer may help you plan accordingly.

If it's a legal practice in the location you choose, then I/we can't stop you from putting your rifle over your shoulder and trying to find a bird. However, if you want to learn and appreciate the experience of chasing a Spring gobbler, luring him into your setup, and seeing that red, white, and blue head up close carry your shotgun or bow and get a good cushion to make your stay comfortable while you wait. Just ask yourself is it more important to shoot one or do you want to learn how to hunt them?

Patience matters more than equipment while turkey hunting in my book. And although I have never tagged a Fall bird, I missed them with my bow, muzzleloader, and a shotgun with buckshot. The only reason I haven't taken one with my rifle then is I passed the shot opportunities I had for one reason or another. My luck in the Spring all came with a shotgun. No matter your choice, have fun when you go, look out for other hunters, and follow the rules so you have a safe experience.

That Mongolian warrior style was a gem, btw.

Yeah, minimal effort.
IMO pretty disrespectful to the sport of turkey hunting.

I’ll say I’ve been on only a couple “true” turkey hunts. Perhaps had I been successful I’d view shooting them with a rifle differently.

At the end of the day, it’s the same result. A dead turkey.

Missed one with the shotgun last year at like 30 yards. Crawled in on him, he was hiding in some prairie grass, and when he jumped and took off I missed all 3 times.
There's an app for that. TSS.

I've killed a few. 12 gauge. Rifle? No thanks. But, the .233 is all the rage. mtmuley

Get some tungsten loads and your range will be pushed out a little further with a shotgun. I usually don't call turkeys in, but rather call to make them gobble and then move in on them. It's a thrill sneaking up on turkeys. Good luck out there!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back