Youth hunter motivation?

bennett454

Hey guys,

I moved west in 2022 living in Utah the past 2 years. We chose not to become Utah residents cough: my wife didn’t want to pay taxes to a certain majority group cough:. So I’m a Pennsylvania resident living in Utah paying non resident fees in all surrounding states as well as where I am local (just bear in mind). My son is 11 will be 12 next fall. He has been a struggle for me to get hunting. Specifically if it could be hard (my preferred hunting style is tough to reach places). He enjoyed turkey hunting & I think he would enjoy antelope or open country deer hunts. I find it difficult to bite the bullet on nonresident fees for him when it’s tough to motivate him to go aka: local hunts in Utah are full priced for him.

That in mind I look at western Colorado and Western Wyoming (type 6 licenses which currently are lacking options on the west side of the state). The two questions that come to mind; how do I find the middle ground? Looking for truck style lazy hunts have tougher draw odds and or I struggle to know how to hunt from a road(my mindset is get away from hunters aka trails/roads). How do I make hunts that require some toughness more fun?

This year he drew a deer tag in Az and I chose to eat it. Mostly because he didn’t seem interested at least not enough for me to burn vacation time and fuel for a 10hr drive. I’ve tried small game as well with similar poor results (he has yet to pull the trigger). Though he did utter the word fun on a recent duck hunt.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Finding different tags doesn’t seem like it’s going to fix the issue, just doesn’t seem like the kid is into it. I’d ask him about a pronghorn hunt. If he doesn’t get fired up about it, don’t force it and leave it alone for a year or two. He’ll come around eventually.

- The kid

Bottom line is if he doesn't want to hunt you can't make him like it.

Start with the ducks and birds , he said fun , Try to grow that. Upland birds, geese, etc. Plus those are cheaper options.

I grew up in an outdoors family and did a lot of fishing and camping as a teenager but wasn’t into big game hunting. I just had a lot of other interests. The first big game animal that I shot was a moose when I was stationed in Alaska. My advice is to continue to get your kid outside but if he isn’t interested in big game now, maybe he will be at some point. My daughter is a good angler and she enjoys it, even on days that I make her go fishing. I don’t plan on trying to force hunting on her. If she ever asks, I’ll gladly take her.

I agree with Northwoods. Find things that interest him outdoors. My son is a motivated hunter but I'm sure a big part of his motivation is building a big fire at camp and telling campfire stories each night.

Just do fun things outside with him. My kid didn't want to hunt for a bit but he liked going so I just kept bringing him. this year at twelve he wanted to hunt so we did and now he's hooked on ducks and geese. Even better, he wants to hunt antelope next year. It's all about fun food and warm as possible

Yah just keep it fun. The worst thing you can do is push him. My step son is all over the place, one year he hunts the next year he wants nothing to do with it. I always just ask if he says he doesn't feel like it I drop it there. The one thing he always wants to do is dove hunt every year and shoot trap. It's always warm and not boring. Like @mtmuley would say "it ain't for everybody". You gotta be OK with the fact that he might not like hunting.

Last edited:
Yah just keep it fun. The worst thing you can do is push him. My step son is all over the place one year he hunts the next year he wants nothing to do with it. I always just ask if he says he doesn't feel like it. I drop it there. The one thing he always wants to do is dove hunt every year and shoot trap. It's always warm and not boring. Like @mtmuley would say "it ain't for everybody". You gotta be OK with the fact that he might not like hunting.
Yep. My son is an absolute antelope assassin. Elk hunting, not so much. Find what he likes and go from there. mtmuley

I thought if you lived in a state for more than 6 months you had to claim residency? Maybe Utah is different?

I think you need to hunt the way he wants to hunt and not the way dad wants to hunt.
I still hold a physical address in Pennsylvania. So as far as the government is concerned that’s where I reside.

Ok that is in-line with how I’ve handled it. I don’t want to force and ruin the fun. Warm weather hunts are definitely easier with him. It’s hard to keep skinny kids warm haha. On the plus side he does love fishing; caught an 8.5 lb catfish this summer!

Also never thought of prairie dogs!

Don’t push your expectations on the kid, that may lead them to feel like they’re always letting you down, and in turn not want to go hunting at all because they associate it with feeling like a disappointment.

Try road hunting day trips if that’s what he likes. Who knows, you might have fun too.

Don’t push your expectations on the kid, that may lead them to feel like they’re always letting you down, and in turn not want to go hunting at all because they associate it with feeling like a disappointment.

Try road hunting day trips if that’s what he likes. Who knows, you might have fun too.
Agreed. I should say my thought with big game is that’s what hooked me. naturally I want to get him in range of a big game animal to get that adrenaline pumping. However, I’m not one to push expectations and do listen to how the kids feel. I learned a lot about patience when trying to get my wife involved with the outdoors lol. With the kids If they are done I’m done and that is ok.

I also know the value of pushing oneself to achieve success not just in hunting but life. Sometimes we have to get uncomfortable to grow.

I am not sure how to teach that to a kid; perhaps it is more of a teen lesson. From what I’m gathering I should stick with the lighter side of the outdoors at this age as we have. Teach him to go hard for something when he himself comes up with a goal.

For most kids, and many adults, the lack of shooting and animals is a drag to start with. Birds get you past that, much more shooting and success. I also found anything with calling. Taught my sons to call ducks. Gave them something to do while waiting.

Someone said it, "not for everyone". I raised 2 sons, one loves to hunt the other could take it or leave it.

The outdoors can have a lot to offer. Hunting is just one avenue. I would try to get them out every chance I have. I enjoy reading Fur Fish n Game magazine. And gave a few copies to our 7 year old grandson. He is going through every page looking at the pictures. And he keeps them under his pillow. So I swap them out occasionally. He showed me a picture of a coyote the other day and stated he wanted to go hunt them.
He has a red rider bb gun and compound bow. Shooting his bb gun is a treat for him and gets his mind working. We talk often about going moose hunting and how it's nice to be able to feed our family. By hunting. So exposure to different aspects seems to be working for him. Our 2 kids always saw me, dad, hunting and enjoying the opportunity. Which I feel is the most important. Enjoying the opportunity to get out and hopefully harvesting game for our family to eat.
I suspect many kids would rather be playing computer inside, nice n warm. But as a parent, grand parent I drag them out with me. And it doesn't take long for them to really start enjoying the experience. First have to get them out. Every opportunity that you can. Yes it's work at times. But teaching our youth to enjoy every aspect of the outdoors is important to me.
Being successful is the fastest way for encouragement but you have to get out first. So maybe you need to work a bit harder yourself on getting out, and drag them along. Spending time with dad is probably important and enjoyable for kids.
My beautiful wife always tells me. She hates getting ready for getting out. But after the first minute she is all in and having fun. Sometimes you just gotta get started

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back