NW CO, 2nd Rifle.

tillicant

Wife (Heidi) and I just returned from 2nd rifle, NW Co.
Hunted the Flattops, we go somewhere different every trip. Trip is the keyword for us as it is a vacation first.
We left WI at 3am 10/23/23 & made it close to the I80 truck-stop, loud bang, could feel something. Thought at first we blew a tire, truck or Trailer. As wife got out to walk around, I realized we had no turbo pressure. We limped it to the truck stop and I explained what I thought happened. On a prior truck the turbo pressure boot blew apart. Started calling local service and as I figured, nobody stocked this part. While waiting for callbacks I decided to take a better look and was pleasantly surprised. The connection came apart. Fixed!
Off to our first stop, Cheyoming (14 hrs)
Day two, made it to NW Co., unpack & ready to checkout some areas I had mapped. First moose sighting Friday.
Friday afternoon we got a light snow into the opener. Opener, saw a couple of doe muleys. Heidi had a Cow & muley buck tag, I had a bull tag. I went to glass another ridge & when I got back Heidi motioned a rack, second moose sighting, small bull.(she also heard some cow chirps)
Sunday opener, we sat together, (I can't hear worth a chit so she's mi hearing)> Around 8 am we had a cow and two calf (thats 5 moose) come into view. The cow bedded at 170 yds for the morning. No elk and four mule deer doe, so far.
Monday, pretty quiet, Heidi decided to walk and warm up. Within ten minutes of her leaving had a nice bull (moose #6) walk through. Approximately 85 yds.
Tuesday was very quiet for most of the day(most+keyword).
We tried a slightly different area, still nothing, until the way out. Came to a canyon, both spotted moose. My phone was almost dead( I check my work emails way too often). I got a couple of pictures but Heidi got the most amazing video, two bulls sparing, over a cow with two calf's. Lots of grunting as well as the cow kicking the larger bull, she seemed not interested.
Wednestay, just a small 2X2 muley.
This was a first for both of us and to get pictures & video made our whole hunt. A total of 8 different moose as we could verify with the pictures.
All of our sightings were within view of one of the many trails, some while one of the many road hunters were going by. Being from the midwest, we cannot (and would not) road hunt, to each his own.

Attachments

• 20231105_100202.jpg
    20231105_100202.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Wife (Heidi) and I just returned from 2nd rifle, NW Co.
Hunted the Flattops, we go somewhere different every trip. Trip is the keyword for us as it is a vacation first.
We left WI at 3am 10/23/23 & made it close to the I80 truck-stop, loud bang, could feel something. Thought at first we blew a tire, truck or Trailer. As wife got out to walk around, I realized we had no turbo pressure. We limped it to the truck stop and I explained what I thought happened. On a prior truck the turbo pressure boot blew apart. Started calling local service and as I figured, nobody stocked this part. While waiting for callbacks I decided to take a better look and was pleasantly surprised. The connection came apart. Fixed!
Off to our first stop, Cheyoming (14 hrs)
Day two, made it to NW Co., unpack & ready to checkout some areas I had mapped. First moose sighting Friday.
Friday afternoon we got a light snow into the opener. Opener, saw a couple of doe muleys. Heidi had a Cow & muley buck tag, I had a bull tag. I went to glass another ridge & when I got back Heidi motioned a rack, second moose sighting, small bull.(she also heard some cow chirps)
Sunday opener, we sat together, (I can't hear worth a chit so she's mi hearing)> Around 8 am we had a cow and two calf (thats 5 moose) come into view. The cow bedded at 170 yds for the morning. No elk and four mule deer doe, so far.
Monday, pretty quiet, Heidi decided to walk and warm up. Within ten minutes of her leaving had a nice bull (moose #6) walk through. Approximately 85 yds.
Tuesday was very quiet for most of the day(most+keyword).
We tried a slightly different area, still nothing, until the way out. Came to a canyon, both spotted moose. My phone was almost dead( I check my work emails way too often). I got a couple of pictures but Heidi got the most amazing video, two bulls sparing, over a cow with two calf's. Lots of grunting as well as the cow kicking the larger bull, she seemed not interested.
Wednestay, just a small 2X2 muley.
This was a first for both of us and to get pictures & video made our whole hunt. A total of 8 different moose as we could verify with the pictures.
All of our sightings were within view of one of the many trails, some while one of the many road hunters were going by. Being from the midwest, we cannot (and would not) road hunt, to each his own.
Most hunters don't road hunt. But there sure is a chit load of them when you start counting. They may be too lazy to get their boots dirty or unskillful...I think, they think if they put enough miles in they'll either hit something or get lucky for a shot off the road. One day a few years back, while hunting near Meeker in some fairly open country. I saw a white truck drive up and down several of the same ridges continuously for most of one day. All the time I was off the beaten path and backing out my doe muley.

Most hunters don't road hunt. But there sure is a chit load of them when you start counting. They may be too lazy to get their boots dirty or unskillful...I think, they think if they put enough miles in they'll either hit something or get lucky for a shot off the road. One day a few years back, while hunting near Meeker in some fairly open country. I saw a white truck drive up and down several of the same ridges continuously for most of one day. All the time I was off the beaten path and backing out my doe muley.
Oh man! My son and I always laugh about “Cheech and Chong” - 2 dudes in a white F-150 who we saw almost every day during second season in Meeker a couple years back. We would be parking to hike, or just getting back to the truck…and here they’d come! Every time.

Those dudes got around! They musta driven a hundred miles a day. The moniker came from the very obvious aroma wafting from the truck the one time they rolled down their windows to talk! Funny!…but pathetic too.

Oh man! My son and I always laugh about “Cheech and Chong” - 2 dudes in a white F-150 who we saw almost every day during second season in Meeker a couple years back. We would be parking to hike, or just getting back to the truck…and here they’d come! Every time.

Those dudes got around! They musta driven a hundred miles a day. The moniker came from the very obvious aroma wafting from the truck the one time they rolled down their windows to talk! Funny!…but pathetic too.
That sounds like the same F-150, not funny! Very pathetic!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back