Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MT Draw Week

This is crazy, it's been years since it sold out. Oh well so it goes......... I m still not sure it's really "Sold out" , but maybe?

My outfitter sent me a note last night saying that FWP was leaking that they had sold all non-resident combo tags. But there would likely be elk only tags left. I guess the improving economy, bad winters in nearby states and the press MT is getting drove sales.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many folks didn't get tags. This could hurt the outfitters if just a couple clients don't draw...especially after they have already paid lease fees to the farmers.

I'm wondering how many folks didn't get tags. This could hurt the outfitters if just a couple clients don't draw...especially after they have already paid lease fees to the farmers.

doubtful...they'll just jack their prices up the next year or offer "reduced rate" hunts. Economics 101

Last edited:
doubtful...they'll just jack their prices up the next year or offer "reduced rate" hunts. Economics 101

I meant this year. There is nothing they can do about missed revenue in 2017....yes, next year is not as complicated.

I meant this year. There is nothing they can do about missed revenue in 2017....yes, next year is not as complicated.

Since when are outfitters owed a living from Montana's wildlife resources? There was no promise by the State, the citizens of Montana, or anyone else when they threw out a shingle...

Economics 201...

Outfitters are a small business and as such, would likely be impacted by booking clients early that then don't draw tags. Once they've paid the farmers the lease fee for access, they can't get that money back. The post never said anything about "owed a living." Maybe you should start a thread on the topic of Outfitting and using a states resources for profit - like States selling public land for education - sounds like you have some strong opinions on the matter.

Outfitters are a small business and as such, would likely be impacted by booking clients early that then don't draw tags. Once they've paid the farmers the lease fee for access, they can't get that money back. The post never said anything about "owed a living." Maybe you should start a thread on the topic of Outfitting and using a states resources for profit - like States selling public land for education - sounds like you have some strong opinions on the matter.

Oh boy...

I thought this was a DIY site? Why is anyone worried about outfitters? :confused:

ErictheRed,

What business is without some sort of risk?

When I chose to keep my first house in Laramie and rent it, the State didn't assure me I would find someone to rent it. The state doesn't owe me a rental income.

No different when the outfitters in Montana made the choice to start a business, and if their business plan doesn't have a contingency for fluctuating numbers of clients, their business is going to be short lived. When your business model relies on a public asset, don't be surprised when the public reduces your access to said assets. Deal with it or get out of the business.

Wildlife should be managed independent of the "needs" of outfitters, it should be managed via science. If that means less tags issued to ensure healthy game herds, and some outfitters lose business...that's the way the cookie crumbles.

FYI, I applied for an elk only combo and didnt draw. :(

I find that unbelievable There will be leftover elk combos I'll guarantee you . U must have messed up something . Did u apply for a permit or as a party ? There will be leftover big game combos and leftover elk but the deer combos all went in the draw

I find that unbelievable There will be leftover elk combos I'll guarantee you . U must have messed up something . Did u apply for a permit or as a party ? There will be leftover big game combos and leftover elk but the deer combos all went in the draw

Prepare to believe.

We had 2 parties put in for the deer combo. Both were unsuccessful. We're pretty bummed. Need to figure out a backup plan.

It may be several factors involved. But it does appear this year Montana will no longer be a backup plan for folks. My guess between the new record bull kill and winter kill in other states more people applied to Mt. Still hard to believe that many more applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back