MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Custom Bench Rest Build?

How about a long throated 6mm of some sort? 6GT, 6 Creedmoor, 6XBR, etc. Sure you're not using the long action to its full ability but you won't have to worry about burning up barrels or have rounds that are too long. Those little 6mm cartridges are fun to shoot and you can watch bullet impacts. They'd be good for shooting coyotes and deer/antelope.
Ive got a 6.5 so I’m leaning towards 284 or 30 cal. I’m not to excited about 6mm personally. I like 1 does all calibers up to elk

I looked it up and it’s an enticing option. But you have to rent their reamers, buy their dies and buy their brass or do some fire forming. And none of them are cheap but it’s a cool cartridge I’d never heard of. I may be saving a few extra bucks to play with a unique setup. Thanks for the info.

It wasn’t cheap to build. Rich will work with you on the reamer. Straight Jacket Armory does a lot of the work for him. You will have a couple hundred more into it than a standard cartridge with the dies and fire forming.

However, it is something unique and not your boring run of the mill cartridge with all of the load data already printed for you.

I like to tinker and figuring out what it can do. That is the fun part of shooting for me.

Another thought, if you are just looking for a fun rifle to shoot, without burning lots of powder and hard recoil, is the .260. In that long action, you can seat big bullets out a ways. It is accurate, pretty good barrel life, light recoil and kills stuff great, if you want to take it hunting. On top of that, you can use .308 brass. Criterion offers Remage barrels, which use the Savage-style barrel nut system to attach them. I have several and they are fantastic shooters and it was easy for my buddy to screw them on, without any machining. Lots of choices.

It wasn’t cheap to build. Rich will work with you on the reamer. Straight Jacket Armory does a lot of the work for him. You will have a couple hundred more into it than a standard cartridge with the dies and fire forming.

However, it is something unique and not your boring run of the mill cartridge with all of the load data already printed for you.

I like to tinker and figuring out what it can do. That is the fun part of shooting for me.
You’re quite convincing! Will definitly give a good hard look. Thanks a bunch.

So what is the ultimate goal of this gun?

Maybe I missed that part.
Well after some of this discussion it was gonna be a target/fun gun but may make its way into the field. I was looking at a heavy bull barrel to reduce recoil and improve a bit on performance but some of the calibers are great for hunting so I may tweak some things on the build.

with that said what’s your opinion on Proof Research barrels? I can get them at a really competitive price.

Well after some of this discussion it was gonna be a target/fun gun but may make its way into the field. I was looking at a heavy bull barrel to reduce recoil and improve a bit on performance but some of the calibers are great for hunting so I may tweak some things on the build.

with that said what’s your opinion on Proof Research barrels? I can get them at a really competitive price.

Carbon wrapped barrels..they lead the way.

Their regular steel barrels....I’d buy Bartline, Brux, or kreiger.

If it’s a range gun I’d look at the many 6.5 calibers. To me 30 only has some advantage in hunting and even then I’d rather go with a 7mm.

To keep a customer away from the Sherman stuff and the high priced dies we went with a 6.5-280ai and he was able to just use 280ai bushing dies and is getting great performance.

A muzzle brake is a more effective way of reducing recoil than just adding weight.

Carbon wrapped barrels..they lead the way.

Their regular steel barrels....I’d buy Bartline, Brux, or kreiger.

If it’s a range gun I’d look at the many 6.5 calibers. To me 30 only has some advantage in hunting and even then I’d rather go with a 7mm.

To keep a customer away from the Sherman stuff and the high priced dies we went with a 6.5-280ai and he was able to just use 280ai bushing dies and is getting great performance.

A muzzle brake is a more effective way of reducing recoil than just adding weight.
Well I have lots to consider now... haha. Thanks a bunch.

For what you want to do I’d go a 284 win with a #4 contour at 24” with a muzzle brake for range time and thread protector for hunting.

Removing a brake or anything attached to the muzzle will change barrel harmonics.

In my semi professional opinion the best investment would be electronic ear buds...you’ll hear game better and they will cut off when you shoot saving your hearing.

I agree with you that it’ll probably change harmonics but my experience, you’re not going to see a change in accuracy. With a high quality barrel it’ll shoot bug holes with and without a brake. My rifles shoot tiny groups with and without a 19 oz suppressor on it. A muzzle brake isn’t going to make a huge difference...

I agree with you that it’ll probably change harmonics but my experience, you’re not going to see a change in accuracy. With a high quality barrel it’ll shoot bug holes with and without a brake. My rifles shoot tiny groups with and without a 19 oz suppressor on it. A muzzle brake isn’t going to make a huge difference...

You would be surprised. Sometimes a load worked up with a muzzle device will not shoot good with it removed.

How about this??
6mm-06 in a 1-8 twist barrel 24" in length. Fast and gentle to shoot. Great ballistics. I have 6mm Remington which I love. The 6mm- 06 would be just a touch faster.

6.5-06 1-8 twist 24" length barrel.

280 AI - 1-9 or 1-8 twist barrel 24" long. I have one I had custom made on a Winchester Model 70. Used a Shilen match barrel - 24" - 1-9 Sure liking it a lot.

Last edited:
How about this??
6mm-06 in a 1-8 twist barrel 24" in length. Fast and gentle to shoot. Great ballistics. I have .56mm Remington which I love. The 6mm- 06 would be just a touch faster.

6.5-06 1-8 twist 24" length barrel.

280 AI - 1-9 or 1-8 twist barrel 24" long. I have one I had custom made on a Winchester Model 70. Used a Shilen match barrel - 24" - 1-9 Sure liking it a lot.
Well based on your name you’re a fan of the 6. At this point between 280AI, 284 Rem or the 300 Sherman another member recommended. I have a 6.5 and 7mm mag already so I’m leaning towards the unique .30 cal.

Well based on your name you’re a fan of the 6. At this point between 280AI, 284 Rem or the 300 Sherman another member recommended. I have a 6.5 and 7mm mag already so I’m leaning towards the unique .30 cal.

In the 30 I’d just probably go all the way to 30 Nosler.

Yes your bolt face will have to be opened up....

Back