Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Custom Bench Rest Build?

coloradoguy

Hello everyone,

I have a donor Remington 700 long action and standard bolt face from a 30-06 and I’m struggling to decide which cartridge to rebarrel the action with. I’d appreciate your guys input on cartridge and barrel brands. Let hear your thoughts.

May consider changing bolts to expand cartridge options but trying to avoid the added cost.

Also I guess I should clarify, I say benchrest gun cause I don’t care about weight for this build. Just something that shoots and shoots really well.

p.s. I’ve already got a stock, scope and trigger for it. Just stuck at the final two steps.

Last edited:
This is always the toughest decision. Honestly there’s nothing wrong with the trusty old ‘06 but I’m assuming you’re looking for a change. You’ll get a lot of love for the 280 AI but others I’d look at would be a ‘06 AI, 300 Sherman, and 284 Winchester. The 284 can be done on a short or medium length action but a long action would suit it well.

What are the other components you have and who’s barrel are you looking to use?

This is always the toughest decision. Honestly there’s nothing wrong with the trusty old ‘06 but I’m assuming you’re looking for a change. You’ll get a lot of love for the 280 AI but others I’d look at would be a ‘06 AI, 300 Sherman, and 284 Winchester. The 284 can be done on a short or medium length action but a long action would suit it well.

What are the other components you have and who’s barrel are you looking to use?
I’m considering a Krieger barrel for starters but not set in stone. I’ve got a stocky’s M50 stock and timney trigger. And Vortex glass. I’ve looked at the 06 AI for shooting heavy high BC bullets. But can’t seem to pull the trigger. So many good options to choose from.

I am not a benchrester, but I have five Criterion barrels and they are all very accurate. As far as caliber, any .30 caliber selection is probably going to be your best bet for getting the longest barrel wear. A 6.5-06 would be a great option, but may be a little tougher on barrel life.

I am not a benchrester, but I have five Criterion barrels and they are all very accurate. As far as caliber, any .30 caliber selection is probably going to be your best bet for getting the longest barrel wear. A 6.5-06 would be a great option, but may be a little tougher on barrel life.
Barrel wear may be an increasing concern of mine since rebarreling gets expensive haha. That’s a good point to consider thank you.

What’s the intended purpose of the rifle? Mainly hunting with a little long range plinking?
Not even hunting just a fun build that will perform at the range. Tinker with and play with different loads. My play gun. Something to shoot more frequently than my hunting rigs.

I think I’d lean towards a 284 Winchester. Krieger is a fantastic choice. I’d look at them, bartlein, hawk hill, and mullerworks. Can’t go wrong with any of them. Just find one in the contour you like and go for it
I was considering 284 Winchester. Not a barrel burner but shoots the slippery 7mm bullets.

How about a long throated 6mm of some sort? 6GT, 6 Creedmoor, 6XBR, etc. Sure you're not using the long action to its full ability but you won't have to worry about burning up barrels or have rounds that are too long. Those little 6mm cartridges are fun to shoot and you can watch bullet impacts. They'd be good for shooting coyotes and deer/antelope.

All I use in the shop is Bartline, Brux, and krieger. I find those three to be the most consistent to achieve the desired end result.

I went thru this last fall. I ultimately chose a 300 Sherman. It is the most you can get in 30 cal and a standard bolt face. Being a wildcat it gives me something to tinker with in the winter and it will push the long heavies very well. Rich was pushing 190’s at 3050fps. If you google 300 Sherman you can get his website.

Last edited:
Lots of good benchrest options, but if primarily 300y or 600y I would go 6mm Norma BR (or its offspring 6Dasher). If primarily 1000y I would go 6.5-284 or 6.5 x47 lapua.

How about a long throated 6mm of some sort? 6GT, 6 Creedmoor, 6XBR, etc. Sure you're not using the long action to its full ability but you won't have to worry about burning up barrels or have rounds that are too long. Those little 6mm cartridges are fun to shoot and you can watch bullet impacts. They'd be good for shooting coyotes and deer/antelope.

I wouldn’t say you don’t have to worry about barrel life. You’re looking at under 2000 rounds for the 6’s. Now that’s a ton of shooting but it’s less that the 6.5s and 7s. If I was going to build a barrel burner I’d do something like a 22 creed

I wouldn’t say you don’t have to worry about barrel life. You’re looking at under 2000 rounds for the 6’s. Now that’s a ton of shooting but it’s less that the 6.5s and 7s. If I was going to build a barrel burner I’d do something like a 22 creed
Both 6mmBR and 6.5x47 lapua show good barrel life if that is a driver.

I went thru this last fall. I ultimately chose a 300 Sherman. It is the most you can get in 30 cal and a standard bolt face. Being a wildcat it gives me something to tinker with in the winter and with push the long heavies very well. Rich was pushing 190’s at 3050fps. If you google 300 Sherman you can get his website.
I looked it up and it’s an enticing option. But you have to rent their reamers, buy their dies and buy their brass or do some fire forming. And none of them are cheap but it’s a cool cartridge I’d never heard of. I may be saving a few extra bucks to play with a unique setup. Thanks for the info.

Back