Honest, down to reason Opinions request...

Seekins PH2. Great rifle all around and you won't find a better warranty. If you run it over or drop it off a cliff they will take care of it no problem. It doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not. They are extremely accurate. I just got mine a week ago in 7mm Rem Mag.
7.2lbs for the bare rifle.

Looking to replace my 7 MM magnum rifle with same. It will have to be a 7MM mag due to lots of components, dies and hand loading experience with this cartridge. Believe the 7 mag is a thumper and has been more than adequate as long as I do my part. Have been hunting a Sako A7 in 7 mag but heavier than the dickens. Will be put up for sale as do not need another safe queen.
Looking for a bolt action rifle with synthetic stock, 24”-26” bbl., stainless or wrapper bbl. as weight is a very large consideration as looking fo 7 pounds or less with base, rings and scope. Have had much Remington 700 experience and do approve of the action. But, not absolute. Not looking to break the bank but a good quality, accurate, light weight shooter is important. This will be probably my last rifle purchase due to my age of 75 years and counting. Rifle will be passed down to our only grandchild/grandson who has some hunting experience and looking to hunt with grandad while he is still up to it.
Thanks to all for your valuable input. MTG
Are you tending toward copper/mono bullets? If so you'll want a slower barrel twist than 1/10. That would bear on my decision, the future belongs to long monos IME. 180+ grains now available in .284. Also, handle and if possible shoot one before you buy. Planning to port this? The lighter the rifle, the stronger the recoil.

Are you tending toward copper/mono bullets? If so you'll want a slower barrel twist than 1/10. That would bear on my decision, the future belongs to long monos IME. 180+ grains now available in .284. Also, handle and if possible shoot one before you buy. Planning to port this? The lighter the rifle, the stronger the recoil.
Faster twist, not slower. 1:8 is good all around for 7mm.

Have @van franke of Plains Precision Firearms put together something on a Defiance anTi action for you. He built me a 300wsm that is 7.8 pounds with a, suppressor, and there was room in that build to be lighter. Light glass is a really important factor, pay careful attention to what you pick there, I went with the Vortex LHT.

Something may have changed. They used to put any inlet in any stock, and if they didn’t have an inlet for your action(which would be nuts) you could send them your barreled action and they would add it to their library of inlets.
Man that would be nice. I would still have my 85 if I could have done that. I’ll have to ask them sometime

I recommend my Tikka 7mm. Its shoots well and is nice and light. Hasn't let me down yet. Not sure its the type of rifle that you'd buy to hand down to kids / grandkids but thats what I'll be doing.

Have no thoughts to convert to copper mono Bullets unless forced to do so. Nosler BT and Accubonds have served me well in many cartridges and calibers. Also Hornady SST offerings have put some heads on my wall and venison in my freezer. This Billy was Noslerized. Took him with the 300 WSM, 180 grain Accubond. Yep, sold the rifle. MTG

Attachments

• 1746EBA4-8C17-43A3-956D-9CD084F0642C.jpeg
    1746EBA4-8C17-43A3-956D-9CD084F0642C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
While the above mentioned rifles are fine for the average hunter, your requirements are putting you in a very specialized arena.
Something like the Tikka & Kimber Hunter would get you closer to the weight your looking for, but bare gun. Not scoped.

Only 2 rifles & manufacturers come to mind for a true, under 7lb scoped rifle.
Both will set you back about $3,600.

First pick would be a New Ultra Light Arms model 24B.
Weight with Talley rings 5.5lbs.

Second would be a Proof Research Elevation Light Weight Hunter at 5lb 14oz.

Add a Burris Fullfield E1, 4.5-14X42 and a nylon sling, and your right at 7lb.

I should mention that with these ultra light weight rifles, most find shooting from a bench to sight scope in, do load workups can be a bit heavy feeling in the recoil deptartment. Standing/sitting with game in the scope, you don't notice it as much. ;)

Last edited:
Have no thoughts to convert to copper mono Bullets unless forced to do so. Nosler BT and Accubonds have served me well in many cartridges and calibers. Also Hornady SST offerings have put some heads on my wall and venison in my freezer. This Billy was Noslerized. Took him with the 300 WSM, 180 grain Accubond. Yep, sold the rifle. MTG
Cool mount/background.

I do have to say, with the lighter weight rifle, I found the balance to be different than my wood stocked M77 which wasn't necessarily bad, just different. For comparison my Browning Pump Shotgun is 7 pounds 10 oz. and I carry that all day in my hands.

I'm not sure at what point weight savings results in less balance and stability shooting freehand , but I do feel like I can "jump shoot" better with a gun that has it's center of mass closer to the pistol grip butt portion between the hands on the rifle or shotgun. I do think the lighter stocks are a little light in the rear end. Kinda like a pickup with the bed off. I do remember feeling like the 50 mm scope on the Ridgeline made the rifle a little top heavy balance wise. That would be my concern with any light weight rifle, but I think I'd eventually get used to it. FWIW I've been packing an 8 lb 5-12 oz rifle for 30 plus years so that's all I know.

i found it interesting that Chuck Hawkes wrote an opinion that a rifle chambered for a magnum cartridge should be 8.5-9 pounds. He did not mention whether a muzzle break could reduce that...

Determining the proper weight for a hunting rifle requires a careful compromise between handling, balance, swing, portability, recoil moderation, and the physical capabilities of the shooter. Get it wrong and you can end up with a fire-stick that is almost as dangerous to the hunter as to the game!

Last edited:
Same chamber. Both are .280 Remington.

The Remington 700 is 7.5 lbs. the big horn origin is 10.5 lbs.

Both have an 18” barrel.
CDD6E4E9-AEEE-4CB8-B01D-E93175CD9E8D.jpeg

The Big Horn is a much more pleasing rifle to shoot. You can also hear a difference in the muzzle blast as it is much throatier and lower in tone. The first time I actually fired it, the guy on the range asked me if it was a magnum round.

You use what you can find when you are looking for a unicorn brass.
98D71D7A-4986-4A8E-ABA9-534426660829.jpeg

It’s going to be hard to find a lightweight 7mm rem mag.

You can find the rifle you want in a 280ai.

It’s going to be hard to find a lightweight 7mm rem mag.

You can find the rifle you want in a 280ai.
No, actually it's the same situation.
Action length is the same.
Aka, the receiver/action is the same.
Only difference would be the magazine follower, and bolt face.

To end up with a 7lb scoped rifle, your talking bare rifle no heavier than 6lb.
And your really going to have to watch scope weight.

I do have to say, with the lighter weight rifle, I found the balance to be different than my wood stocked M77 which wasn't necessarily bad, just different. For comparison my Browning Pump Shotgun is 7 pounds 10 oz. and I carry that all day in my hands.

I'm not sure at what point weight savings results in less balance and stability shooting freehand , but I do feel like I can "jump shoot" better with a gun that has it's center of mass closer to the pistol grip butt portion between the hands on the rifle or shotgun. I do think the lighter stocks are a little light in the rear end. Kinda like a pickup with the bed off. I do remember feeling like the 50 mm scope on the Ridgeline made the rifle a little top heavy balance wise. That would be my concern with any light weight rifle, but I think I'd eventually get used to it. FWIW I've been packing an 8 lb 5-12 oz rifle for 30 plus years so that's all I know.

i found it interesting that Chuck Hawkes wrote an opinion that a rifle chambered for a magnum cartridge should be 8.5-9 pounds. He did not mention whether a muzzle break could reduce that...
A mercury tube in the buttstock would help with both a more rearward balance plus help reduce recoil.
Bad thing is it adds weight.
So not that good if your trying to stay below a certain weight.

Seekins element, 6.o lb long action.
Or build your own defiance anti, pre fit barrel and stock or chassis of your preferred flavor.

7mm Rem Mag in a 22" barrel?

I'll put it on my list of band wagons to jump on after i get a Creedmoor. :sick:

I would echo the recommendations for a Tikka. Checks all of your boxes. I’ve had 4 Tikkas and all have been shooters.

Back