Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Honest, down to reason Opinions request...

Friend of mine just bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent and loves it. 26 inch barrel and under 5 pounds before scope and rings.

Can only shoot 3-4 rounds before it heats up bad though but realistically who’s gonna shoot more than that while hunting.

When I think of a cherished rifle passed down from my Grandfather I could careless about weight. I want that warm wood stock and slightly worn checkering. A modern light weight gun does not have the same appealing qualities as a classic.

A Stainless Rem 700 Mountain rifle in 280 is where I would go. You have everything for 7mag but how much is a set of dies really going to hurt you with the costs your already planning on spending. This one was built for around $1400.

F5042861-EC73-48B0-BF99-42E3F4F90F1B.jpeg

When I think of a cherished rifle passed down from my Grandfather I could careless about weight. I want that warm wood stock and slightly worn checkering. A modern light weight gun does not have the same appealing qualities as a classic.

A Stainless Rem 700 Mountain rifle in 280 is where I would go. You have everything for 7mag but how much is a set of dies really going to hurt you with the costs your already planning on spending. This one was built for around $1400.

View attachment 249840
New bolt or a new soldered handle?

New bolt or a new soldered handle?
It’s a PTG Ram custom shop action. So that’s a one piece bolt with M16 extractor. Not sure I would do that again verses buying a complete stainless action and sending it out to be done.

Lilja has the barrel profile and you can get everything else pretty easily. I haven’t weighed it but it isn’t much heavier than the factory offering. Maybe a couple ounces.

Looking at GB they are cheaper to build these days than buy. I hope they end up back in production in the new company.
I honestly won't likely buy a new production gun ever again. My last 4 rifles I have gotten used or new actions and put them back together with components with exactly what I wanted for trigger and barrel twist rate in the caliber I actually want, Add in needed a longer than normal (14.5" LOP) stock that no one produces, production rifles are a thing of the past for me.

Last edited:
Looking for a bolt action rifle with synthetic stock, 24”-26” bbl., stainless or wrapper bbl. as weight is a very large consideration as looking fo 7 pounds or less with base, rings and scope. (emphasis added).
I saw that you asked a similar question on another forum but your weight criteria was “Did I say light weight? Prefer no more than 7 pounds without base, rings and scope.” (emphasis added).

Are you looking for two different rifles, or was there a typo on one of your posts? 7 pounds “without” will get you very different responses than 7 pounds “with.”

I vote for lightening that Sako. It obviously has a lot of memories, and some shared with your grandson. That will mean more to him than some new gun you maybe shot a few years. Should be able to find a synthetic stock for it. Keep the wood though. Your grandson may want to go back to it for the memories. You might consult a gunsmith about lightning the barrel. I'm sure there's options either trimming the metal or replacing the barrel. Lots of options are available for reducing scope weight but you might need to sacrifice some long range options.

This WWII Springfield is heavy but I can still carry it all day at age 70. Well, for now I can anyway. It too will be going to my grandson. His great-granddad whom he never got to meet sporterized it originally in 1962 and I have made many improvements since then. I almost restocked it this year but changed my mind. The two filled gouges are part of the story that will always remind him of Papa and how hard he hunted. Maybe some day I'll have to consider hunting with a lighter gun but I suspect the Grim Reaper will finally succeed in taking me before then.20220821_094827.jpg

Bakpakr, the bare rifle is a Roughtech and possibly 8 plus pounds. Yes, I have given some thought to a lighter synthetic stock. I have emailed Mark Bansner, Legendary Arms, for information. Mark has done some work for me in the past.
It is a heavy bbl. rifle but I believe reducing the bl. Length to 24” with a brake would help.
To be perfectly honest I am at odds with a lot of new rifles that I have handled of late. Not all that enamored with what I am seeing. My problem only. Let’s see what Mark has to say about work. MTG

Bakpakr, the bare rifle is a Roughtech and possibly 8 plus pounds. Yes, I have given some thought to a lighter synthetic stock. I have emailed Mark Bansner, Legendary Arms, for information. Mark has done some work for me in the past.
It is a heavy bbl. rifle but I believe reducing the bl. Length to 24” with a brake would help.
To be perfectly honest I am at odds with a lot of new rifles that I have handled of late. Not all that enamored with what I am seeing. My problem only. Let’s see what Mark has to say about work. MTG
I forgot about that model of the A7. For a lighter stock, you might check with Fierce to see if they can help you. My guess is that the biggest obstacle to reducing weight on your current rifle is the barrel weight itself.

So, I just weighed this Sako A7 Roughtech rifle. It weighs 9.67 pounds with a Burris compact magnum scope and rings. I suspected it was heavy. Perhaps I am asking too much for a 7 pound 7 MM magnum rifle.
It should be interesting to get information regarding reducing stock weight. Mark Bansner has done some amazing work for me in the past. Not expecting him to perform miracles, but a reduction vs. new might help. MTG

Attachments

• 05A25544-255A-4FF1-88CD-487723F8304B.jpeg
    05A25544-255A-4FF1-88CD-487723F8304B.jpeg
    753.5 KB · Views: 11
I agree with Elkduds. You should try a lightweight magnum before committing. I see from your photos you are a fairly lightweight guy. The recoil may be rough.

BAKPAKR, you are spot on. Reducing bbl. weight would entail either new bbl. or reducing length. Not sure what bbl. harmonics would happen if reduced to 24”. My loads are Nosler 160 Accubonds that group .600+/- off the bench. This is the only load I employ through this rifle. It has been a real meat rifle in the past. Lots of boom...flop shots. So, my dilemma. MTG

So, I just weighed this Sako A7 Roughtech rifle. It weighs 9.67 pounds with a Burris compact magnum scope and rings. I suspected it was heavy. Perhaps I am asking too much for a 7 pound 7 MM magnum rifle.
It should be interesting to get information regarding reducing stock weight. Mark Bansner has done some amazing work for me in the past. Not expecting him to perform miracles, but a reduction vs. new might help. MTG
How long is the barrel? Stock is synthetic? Hard to tell from photo.

Bbl. is 26” with a synthetic stock. I weigh in around 175# plus/minus. Recoil has never been an issue but can be a factor if severe for anyone. I’ve owned very heavy recoiling rifles and shotguns that punished but never bothered me too much accuracy wise. MTG

I have owned a rifle from legendary arms. I have dealt with Mark’s company.

I have also dealt with McMillan and would choose them anytime over Mark’s stocks. He has a good product but it is old tech and depending on the day his staff is tough to actually talk to. The stuff McMillan is putting out is cutting edge. It fits the hand better, is lighter weight, and the customer service is next to none.

If you want closer to classic and light weight look at a McMillan McWoody. They are a really nice stock.

My 30 Nosler weighs just about that, and, after running around with it some this fall, I agree with you that it is just too heavy to be enjoyable carrying it around in hand. I have a 300 RUM that is 8.25 pounds scoped and I get along fine with it. I think the sweet spot for me will be right around 7.5 pounds because my poor shooting technique is exaggerated by lighter rifles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back