PEAX Equipment

First Custom Bench Rest Build?

Sounds like everything is still up in the air, so consider a 7 SAUM with a Proof Research carbon barrel and it should be capable of some long plinking and still light enough to enjoy hunting with it. Here's what my version of it looks like.
Screenshot-20190428-075813-Gmail.JPG

If you want a target/hunting gun that you will be shooting a lot.
Keeping the same bolt I would consider
6.5-06
6.5-284
284Win
280AI

Swapping bolts to magnum is easy also
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag throated for 215s

Last edited:
The 30 guys can tout all they want to, but to get the BCs of a decent 7mm, your gonna go WAAAYYYY heavy with a 30.

Same same 6.5-7mm.

I have a 284 Win (not Rem as someone said earlier), (2) 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08AI.
The 284 is built on a long action, i have zero issues with feeding/extraction.
But there is a caveat with the 284. That is the guns it was brought out in. Lever, and semi auto. Standard SAAMI reamer has a really long throat!!
I recommend getting some casings, and the bullet you want to shoot. Make dummy round & measure. Then call PT&G for a reamer.

I've been looking at doing a 7mm WSSM for a F-Open gun build. 30" barrel pushing 180gr bullet 2,800 fps.
Something different at band camp, and it has a magnum bolt face to keep mtmuley happy. :D:

6.5 -284. Works best on a long action. Good available brass, no custom dies, decent barrel life and won’t beat you up at the bench.

Back