Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

"Texas Heart Shot"???

Ok, I’ve never heard of this before this thread.

Is it where you simply shoot the animal in the hind quarter in hopes it won’t be able to run, and thus giving you another chance to make a better shot?

Or is the idea to shoot straight through all of the organs, and hopefully hit the heart, by shooting it through the, uh, rectum?

Last edited:

Is it where you simply shoot the animal in the hind quarter in hopes it won’t be able to run, and this giving you another chance to make a better shot?

Or is the idea to shoot straight through all of the organs, and hopefully hit the heart, by shooting it through the, uh, rectum?
Don't over think it.

I was teaching a hunter ed course to a bunch of 11 year olds this week. We were covering shot placement. I was just about to warn them against the THS, when I asked, "Any of your dad's from Texas?" A couple raised their hand. So I warned them against the Arkansas Heart Shot. Seemed safer than the North Dakota Heart Shot.

Is it where you simply shoot the animal in the hind quarter in hopes it won’t be able to run, and thus giving you another chance to make a better shot?

I am surprised with this!

I remember my Grandpa using the "Texas Heart Shot" term when describing the only shot opportunity a bull elk offered when I was like 8-10 years old in the early 70's.

Regarding your questions, the answer is "YES"!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back