Colorado Novice

Izeith

Ok, so a little about me. I am originally from Alaska and had a very active huntsman of father, but at a young age was moved to Colorado. When I was little I went on a couple hunting trips with my dad but not enough to really learn the ins and outs. Now several years later my wife decided she really wanted to get into big game hunting but has no idea what shes doing either. I agreed with her as its something ive wanted to do for a long while. Being law enforcement, and my wife medical, we are both outdoorsy people we have all the gear, licenses, and weapons necessary for the hunt but know absolutely nothing about hunting, and even less about hunting in Colorado. My wife and I started talking to my dad about everything and was getting him back involved and was going to have him take us out on our first ever hunt, however he sadly passed in a work accident in Texas in December. I am trying desperately and Hoping to find that mentor who can help us overcome the obstacle of not knowing how to hunt or where to hunt for various big game.

Thanks so much!

Sorry to hear about your dad. This forum is a good place to learn, but the best place is the great outdoors. If you can't find someone experienced as a mentor don't let that stop you. I started deer hunting at 12 years old with nobody to teach me. Was told to go out and find a good looking spot and sit all day!! Had no idea what a good spot looked like!!! Stay persistent and learn something new every trip afield and you'll figure it out. Don't judge success by notched tags. My success is judged by experiences and knowledge gained. I've been hunting for 28 years and still have so much to learn. Just wing it and go have fun, and enjoy nature. Good luck this fall

Sorry to hear about your dad. This forum is a good place to learn, but the best place is the great outdoors. If you can't find someone experienced as a mentor don't let that stop you. I started deer hunting at 12 years old with nobody to teach me. Was told to go out and find a good looking spot and sit all day!! Had no idea what a good spot looked like!!! Stay persistent and learn something new every trip afield and you'll figure it out. Don't judge success by notched tags. My success is judged by experiences and knowledge gained. I've been hunting for 28 years and still have so much to learn. Just wing it and go have fun, and enjoy nature. Good luck this fall

Thanks! yeah my biggest learning hurdle I think is going to be field dressing a successful kill. I have watched some youtube videos about it and even read some material but nothing beats actually DOING IT. ive always been more of a do-er learner anyway so most of the time the videos I watch I just still feel i have no idea what im doing even after watching the videos lol.

Welcome! I can’t imagine this being better than the I hunt Colorado Facebook group, but if Google says so then it must be true! Good luck this fall!
well I will have to look for that on FB and see what I can find there too! thanks for the heads up on another resource!

Thanks! yeah my biggest learning hurdle I think is going to be field dressing a successful kill. I have watched some youtube videos about it and even read some material but nothing beats actually DOING IT. ive always been more of a do-er learner anyway so most of the time the videos I watch I just still feel i have no idea what im doing even after watching the videos lol.
First welcome aboard. One suggestion start with something easy like pronghorn or a doe deer much easier to handle and break down compared to a elk or big mule deer buck. Find some pronghorn doe tags you and the wife can both get 2nd choice and get out there like you said nothing beats doing it.

Field dressing an animal isnt rocket science. I wouldn’t let that intimidate you. Cut it open and take out all the bad parts. 🤣🤣
seriously though good luck and enjoy the outdoors

Where are you located in Colorado? I am more than willing to share knowledge, info, and my passion for hunting (but don't bogart my zone....lol). Fair warning, I hunt hard and the tougher the terrain the better the story.

Taking care of your kill is pretty straight forward. If quartering for a pack out I use the gutless method. Skin one side, remove the front and hind quarter and back strap. Flip and repeat. Don't forget to get the tenderloin!! There's some good videos on YouTube on it. Take your time and don't worry if you make a few wrong cuts, it'll still be tasty. I was lucky enough to grow up butchering hogs, beef, and chickens so it probably seems easier to me than most.

Where are you located in Colorado? I am more than willing to share knowledge, info, and my passion for hunting (but don't bogart my zone....lol). Fair warning, I hunt hard and the tougher the terrain the better the story.
were in Pueblo Colorado, but thinking of hunting up in the greenhorn mtns, I have vacation for 2nd draw, but have also been eyeballing some territory south of steamboat springs. However ive never even been to the area before.

I'm quite a bit north of you unfortunately but my first piece of advice is go put your feet on the ground of the area you want to hunt or even potentially hunt. Walk the terrain just to get a feel for the effort and exertion that is required. Do it early and do it as often as you can. If you find that you get bit by the bug and get passionate about it, then my next advice is invest in good gear. Not only does it stand up, make the hunt easier and therefore more enjoyable, but also you can depend on it when you really need it to perofrm.

I'm quite a bit north of you unfortunately but my first piece of advice is go put your feet on the ground of the area you want to hunt or even potentially hunt. Walk the terrain just to get a feel for the effort and exertion that is required. Do it early and do it as often as you can. If you find that you get bit by the bug and get passionate about it, then my next advice is invest in good gear. Not only does it stand up, make the hunt easier and therefore more enjoyable, but also you can depend on it when you really need it to perofrm.
gearwise I have some really great gear. and packs and racks etc... thinking I might invest in some good trekking poles and a camelbak for water tho, but everything else we already have. im just not entirely sure where a good place to even go hunting is. how to track very well, or have the knowledge of where to go once im out walking in the woods. (knowledge of knowing where the animals go, not knowledge of not getting lost). and I Know absolutely nothing about field dressing. hell I would love to go with someone just to slice and dice their kill for them haha.

Taking care of your kill is pretty straight forward. If quartering for a pack out I use the gutless method. Skin one side, remove the front and hind quarter and back strap. Flip and repeat. Don't forget to get the tenderloin!! There's some good videos on YouTube on it. Take your time and don't worry if you make a few wrong cuts, it'll still be tasty. I was lucky enough to grow up butchering hogs, beef, and chickens so it probably seems easier to me than most.
yeah I watched alot of youtube videos I just think I would be more confident having someone who knew what they were doing direct me, while I did all the actual field dressing. ive always learned better by doing.. watching.. I still feel lost haha.

Welcome man from fellow law enforcement. Like all things, hands-on experience is the best way to learn. Make lots of effort to get out this fall and learn the game. Don’t stress over the details too much!

Welcome! There are those whose wives will never go hunting and you’ve been blessed to have one who will. I’d start slow, go out and be gorbies in a camper before backpack wilderness excursions.

Ok, so a little about me. I am originally from Alaska and had a very active huntsman of father, but at a young age was moved to Colorado. When I was little I went on a couple hunting trips with my dad but not enough to really learn the ins and outs. Now several years later my wife decided she really wanted to get into big game hunting but has no idea what shes doing either. I agreed with her as its something ive wanted to do for a long while. Being law enforcement, and my wife medical, we are both outdoorsy people we have all the gear, licenses, and weapons necessary for the hunt but know absolutely nothing about hunting, and even less about hunting in Colorado. My wife and I started talking to my dad about everything and was getting him back involved and was going to have him take us out on our first ever hunt, however he sadly passed in a work accident in Texas in December. I am trying desperately and Hoping to find that mentor who can help us overcome the obstacle of not knowing how to hunt or where to hunt for various big game.

Thanks so much!
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I am also a novice but if you are looking for hunting buddies in general, let me know!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back