"Texas Heart Shot"???

Took the shot on someone else's previously wounded deer once on a dead run. Dropped like an anvil. Wouldn't necessarily do it again though.

I don't know where the term came from, but I do know I killed my first elk with that shot. It was sorta, kinda by accident and I'm not real proud of my youthful discission making that day but I was sure happy to get my first elk. I was bow hunting and that blood trail was amongst the best I have ever seen. I didn't need it though, because I stood there and watched the elk walk about 30 yards then lay down and die.

My uncle built a lot of high fence for fellas in south Texas in the 70s and 80s. Did some hunting while he was down there according to him it came around from outfitters during hunt orientations when explaining to clients (some who'd never hunted) where to aim. Instead of saying aim for the butt hole they came up with a more palatable term. Thus was born the "Texas heart shot". I don't know if he was right but can attest he hunted, fished, and trapped all across north America from the 50s to early 2000s and was very knowledgeable. He also loved a good story so 🤷‍♂️.

Yeah, my opinion you should,( in good conscience) make us in Montana aware of someone amongst us who likes tonguing bung.
As far as I know, it wasn't actually someone on here. I was just making a joke about some questionable people here from Bozeman. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those people came forward and admitted to being one of the bung toungers...

My granddad was never in Texas and lived 1500 miles away, yet I remember him calling ass shots a Texas heart shot and that was in the mid 50's. I think it was more about Texas being a big state.....meaning you had a big target but you............if you were an archer you Robin Hooded the only place you could not find the bullet entrance. A poor shot.

Urban Dictionary;
A term used among the deer hunting community to describe an amateurish or other wise incompetent hunter who, through carelessness or lack of skill, shoots his deer directly in the ass instead of the vitals. These so-called hunters usually demonstrate the act on immature bucks or small does as these animals are easy game even for novice hunters. Luckily, big bucks seldom fall victim to this type of incompetence due to the fact they easily outsmart these neophyte hunters.

The phrase is derived from novice hunters acting like 'cowboys' in the woods, shooting without aiming, taking risky shots and posing other hazards, ultimately wounding deer with the dreaded 'texas heart shot'.

Texas Dictionary;
Rent Free

Urban Dictionary;
A term used among the deer hunting community to describe an amateurish or other wise incompetent hunter who, through carelessness or lack of skill, shoots his deer directly in the ass instead of the vitals. These so-called hunters usually demonstrate the act on immature bucks or small does as these animals are easy game even for novice hunters. Luckily, big bucks seldom fall victim to this type of incompetence due to the fact they easily outsmart these neophyte hunters.

The phrase is derived from novice hunters acting like 'cowboys' in the woods, shooting without aiming, taking risky shots and posing other hazards, ultimately wounding deer with the dreaded 'texas heart shot'.

Texas Dictionary;
Rent Free

One time in archery season me a friend and his gf were stalking this big 4x4 mule deer buck (like 160-70), we had followed them in to some dark timber, the big one was with a small 2x3 . I thought it was a lost cause thinking they had spooked outta there. Few minutes later we break thru in to this small opening and they are standing there, the big one was broadside at 30 and the smaller one about 20 yards left and behind the bigger one looking directly away. Shot looked completely clear, there was some brush below the body line but neither of us saw the small sapling that blended perfectly with the deers body. My buddy comes to full draw and launches an arrow, defects 45 degrees off the sapling about the size of my pinky and hits that smaller buck square in the butthole. Went less than 10 yards. lol. God he was pissed tagging that thing. Wouldn’t even let me take a picture of him with it. lol

My oldest sons first time in Wyoming antelope hunting, we saw a wounded buck and I told him to shoot it as it ran away all he had was the Texas heart shot, he didn’t take it. I told him it would have dropped it and it was wounded. Next day we double on a group of healthy does and mine dropped like a rock, he missed completely and as it ran off he shot it right up the ass and it dropped like a rock. When I asked him why he would take such a shot he said well you told me to on the other one, to which i replied it was wounded. I will say his dropped just as fast as mine with no meat damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back