PEAX Equipment

Colorado Novice

Thanks! yeah my biggest learning hurdle I think is going to be field dressing a successful kill. I have watched some youtube videos about it and even read some material but nothing beats actually DOING IT. ive always been more of a do-er learner anyway so most of the time the videos I watch I just still feel i have no idea what im doing even after watching the videos lol.
Sounds like you are convincing yourself of that. I'm a person that learns by doing, so I agree that nothing is better than "Doing it", but at some point you have to cross the mental hurdle from theory to action. A mentor isn't required. It just helps to have someone tell you to "start here". Watch the video again. After, think through a scenario in which you drop an animal and where would you start? Step 1,2,3,4,etc. I think the process of teaching yourself anything is best done in steps. In the real moment, maybe you need to keep repeating to yourself "I can do this". This doesn't mean you won't make mistakes, but it gets done. It will probably take longer than it did on the video. :)

Ok, so a little about me. I am originally from Alaska and had a very active huntsman of father, but at a young age was moved to Colorado. When I was little I went on a couple hunting trips with my dad but not enough to really learn the ins and outs. Now several years later my wife decided she really wanted to get into big game hunting but has no idea what shes doing either. I agreed with her as its something ive wanted to do for a long while. Being law enforcement, and my wife medical, we are both outdoorsy people we have all the gear, licenses, and weapons necessary for the hunt but know absolutely nothing about hunting, and even less about hunting in Colorado. My wife and I started talking to my dad about everything and was getting him back involved and was going to have him take us out on our first ever hunt, however he sadly passed in a work accident in Texas in December. I am trying desperately and Hoping to find that mentor who can help us overcome the obstacle of not knowing how to hunt or where to hunt for various big game.

Thanks so much!

were in Pueblo Colorado, but thinking of hunting up in the greenhorn mtns, I have vacation for 2nd draw, but have also been eyeballing some territory south of steamboat springs. However ive never even been to the area before.
Lot of good elk hunting south of Pueblo. You need to find coffee shop around Blende and meet some local's. I belong to Pueblo West Sportsman's Association.Inc, You should get on waiting list.

Thanks! yeah my biggest learning hurdle I think is going to be field dressing a successful kill. I have watched some youtube videos about it and even read some material but nothing beats actually DOING IT. ive always been more of a do-er learner anyway so most of the time the videos I watch I just still feel i have no idea what im doing even after watching the videos lol.
Do not sweat that, ya keep cutting till all edible parts are in game bags, No award for beauty on that.

What weapom options, rifle, muzzleloader, or bow are you prepared and want to hunt with.

Last edited:
Welcome man from fellow law enforcement. Like all things, hands-on experience is the best way to learn. Make lots of effort to get out this fall and learn the game. Don’t stress over the details too much!
Thanks yeah I have vacation set for 2nd draw this Nov. So we're going to go out I think. I guess just hike up elevation and see if we find anything along the way lol

Do not sweat that, ya keep cutting till all edible parts are in game bags, No award for beauty on that.

What weapom options, rifle, muzzleloader, or bow are you prepared and want to hunt with.
We own bows and I think eventually wanna get into it, but for the time being I think we will be sticking with rifle until we get used to crawling up on prey

Lot of good elk hunting south of Pueblo. You need to find coffee shop around Blende and meet some local's. I belong to Pueblo West Sportsman's Association.Inc, You should get on waiting list.
We both belong to PWSA as well! Love their range! People get mad cus I was only on the waiting list about 6.5 months lol. Which coffee shop in blende? We live in the eagleridge area but drive out to the county 4 times a day for our kids schooling.

Welcome! There are those whose wives will never go hunting and you’ve been blessed to have one who will. I’d start slow, go out and be gorbies in a camper before backpack wilderness excursions.
What's a gorbie? We canp in the greenhorn mts now but we have always tent camped.

You're doing it right man. Keep researching and put the knowledge to use in the field.

I've been hunting since I was 8, and yet I still downloaded a YouTube video with step by steps on quartering and the gutless method. Sometimes its good to watch a video as your field dressing just to make sure.

As for where to hunt- this is a cliché, but it remains true, there are elk in every unit in CO.

Some are obviously better than others. A great resource that is free to e-scout is the Colorado Hunting Atlas. Lots of great info there.

There is a great course called Elk101 by Cory Jacobson, can teach you a lot but like other folks have said the best teacher will be getting outside and doing it.

There's not a lot better than finding your own spot in the hills, finding the elk, and closing the deal. Success to you
Thanks for the great info. Googling the course now. And checking out the hunting atlas. I found a site the other day that rated various areas in CO and have them a 0-100 percent rating. I really liked it too. A coworker of mind told me that sputher CO doesn't have near as much elk as northern areas.. ,(his analogy was there is like 8k elk here down south and up north is like 100k) no idea how accurate that is, it's just what he said.

We're alot more familiar with the greenhorn mtns. But I dont mind going elseware for a better chance at a hunt, plus the enjoyment of being someplace new as well.

Hey welcome to HT! Sorry to hear about the loss, that’s always tough. I live in between Rye and Colorado City just south of Pueblo with my wife and daughter. I’ve hunted out by Westcliffe and have hiked greenhorn a few times but hunt all over the state. Feel free to send me a private message and maybe we can meet up.

Hey welcome to HT! Sorry to hear about the loss, that’s always tough. I live in between Rye and Colorado City just south of Pueblo with my wife and daughter. I’ve hunted out by Westcliffe and have hiked greenhorn a few times but hunt all over the state. Feel free to send me a private message and maybe we can meet up.
Alrighty, I posted something on your profile... not sure if that's a pvt. Message or not tho lol

What's a gorbie? We canp in the greenhorn mts now but we have always tent camped.
Gorbies are yuppie tourists being loud and looking everywhere all frenetic like a Canadian jay. It’s not to say you’ll be that way though you’re new so everyone has to make mistakes to learn. Like for instance, most men can pick up a pistol and shoot it. They’ll hit… something. Yet no man has ever shot a 90+ qual without first learning grip, grab, breathing, target, sight alignment, press and the why. Now there’s nothing wrong with being a gorbie if we can get away with it. If I knew the elk would be 1/8mi from camp at noon then I would totally be in a trailer, generator, bbq, TV, sleep in. But that ain’t the deal most days and that’s where years of wisdom make a hunter.

It takes years of failure to be a hunter. It’s really frustrating much of the time. You’ll blow more game out of cover and missed chip shots then you’ll ever successfully tag out. You’ll learn sayings like “it was really fantastic to be out in the woods with you.” And the classic “Well that’s why they call it hunting, not shooting.”

All jaded and miserable wet feet, stink like a mule, four days seen nothing then wham! It finally suddenly comes together and you bag your target species. You’ll tell us on HT, call up everyone who answers the phone and tell them too. Tell your barber the hunt story and housekeeper as well. It’ll be the greatest new thing ever in your life. That’s hunting.

Gorbies are yuppie tourists being loud and looking everywhere all frenetic like a Canadian jay. It’s not to say you’ll be that way though you’re new so everyone has to make mistakes to learn. Like for instance, most men can pick up a pistol and shoot it. They’ll hit… something. Yet no man has ever shot a 90+ qual without first learning grip, grab, breathing, target, sight alignment, press and the why. Now there’s nothing wrong with being a gorbie if we can get away with it. If I knew the elk would be 1/8mi from camp at noon then I would totally be in a trailer, generator, bbq, TV, sleep in. But that ain’t the deal most days and that’s where years of wisdom make a hunter.

It takes years of failure to be a hunter. It’s really frustrating much of the time. You’ll blow more game out of cover and missed chip shots then you’ll ever successfully tag out. You’ll learn sayings like “it was really fantastic to be out in the woods with you.” And the classic “Well that’s why they call it hunting, not shooting.”

All jaded and miserable wet feet, stink like a mule, four days seen nothing then wham! It finally suddenly comes together and you bag your target species. You’ll tell us on HT, call up everyone who answers the phone and tell them too. Tell your barber the hunt story and housekeeper as well. It’ll be the greatest new thing ever in your life. That’s hunting.
Lol funny. Well hopefully I won't be THAT bad. I'm very well versed in firearms. And have a nearly a 30 year history shooting. (I'm 38) but grew up with them and I've been in law enforcement for nearly 15 years too. So been through plenty of quality. Granted they aren't set up as hunting quals. I also grew up in the sticks. And camp regularly in the woods etc.. so I'm a pretty decent outdoorsman, in regards to the no shower and wet feet haha. (Also we tent camp) so no camper for us! It's just even tho I'm adept at many aspects of hunting, the actual hunt itself and the success of the hunt are completely new to me.

If field care of meat is your biggest hurdle you are in good shape. A lot of good info out there on YouTube.

We both belong to PWSA as well! Love their range! People get mad cus I was only on the waiting list about 6.5 months lol. Which coffee shop in blende? We live in the eagleridge area but drive out to the county 4 times a day for our kids schooling.
I joined PWSA about 30yrs ago and from what I know their is waiting list. They got in big jam few year back and almost got PWSA shut down and was about 700yd range and one member. I don't blame they for getting mad.

@Benfromalbuquerque what is a 90+ qual? and gorbies? are you from Ork?
At times I behave like an Ork, yet no. Gorby(ies?) are Canadian jays and it’s nimrods in the woods or glamping if you will. I am a gorby when I can get away with it. The qual reference is cop firearm qualification. I did not mean it as a direct reference to shooting, rather relatable progress through training, exposure.

Alot of good advice on here. I found Steven Rinella's book Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game Volume 1. Big game to be a very helpful start and getting the e book allows you access and photo references to review out in the field if you have a question and no service.

I also learned a lot from Remi Warrens podcast Live Wild. He adds a personal story every episode and then does 20ish minutes of lecture type material on various topics. He also had a podcast called Cutting the Distance that was great and I think Jason Phelps now leads that podcast. Ton of free info in there to listen to while driving to work and school with the kids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back