Caribou Gear

Suppressed Hunting Rifle Video

Suppressed rifles sure are much more pleasant to be around. Much, much more. I haven’t added any to my hunting rifles, and doubt I will due to cost, but if you’re young and your hearing is still undamaged I’d darned sure do it.

My hearing in my left ear is trashed due to not wearing hearing protection with chainsaws and such. Now I try to put in earplugs when hunting, or at least have a beanie covering my ears.

Not the point of the thread necessarily, but if someone reading this thinks they don't need ear protection, I think it is worth mentioning that things change.

I have a Ruger Vaquero that I have shot thousands of rounds through. Used it for a decade as a kid doing Cowboy Action Shooting, and we trained a lot. I've shot a deer with it and often take it hiking. 44 mag, but I mostly shoot specials out of it - I'm still a spoiled kid in that my dad casts and loads hundreds of 44 special rounds a year for our vaqueros.

Anyway, last fall I took my son out shooting pop cans. For 20 years I shot the specials with no ear protection and it was fine. First shot hurt which was weird, second shot sent my ears ringing for two days. In the same way that a fighter's chin can go, I think a guy's ears can call it quits.

I shot a lot as a kid with no hearing protection (ear pro was for pansies)by my mid twenties I could already tell my hearing was getting worse so started wearing plugs or muffs, (grew up a little bit)when shooting targets, but not for hunting. Last several years I have to do a lot of lip reading and asking WHAT. Wife suggested hearing aids, I suggested saving what hearing I have left.Got my first suppressor finally in February 2023. Just need a couple more.Wish I would've spent the money twenty years ago.

Its not really that painful, just a little time consuming on your purchase day. Just show up with your "passport" photos that they will attach to your application and its just a lot of pieces of paperwork that they have to fill out for you at the counter. You submit all your fingerprints and pay for it. After that you just wait till they call you and you go and pick it up.
It’s so worth it though. I think mine took about 7-8 months if I remember correctly. Shooting was fun before, but it’s so much more enjoyable now.

I really understand the benefits of hearing protection. I have tinnitus so bad from using a framing nail gun I can hear the ringing as I type this. For me suppressors are not worth the cost. I don't want to cut and thread the barrels on my rifles. And I just don't want one hanging off the end of my barrel. Just an opinion from the other side. mtmuley

I really understand the benefits of hearing protection. I have tinnitus so bad from using a framing nail gun I can hear the ringing as I type this. For me suppressors are not worth the cost. I don't want to cut and thread the barrels on my rifles. And I just don't want one hanging off the end of my barrel. Just an opinion from the other side. mtmuley
My dad had this super old pair of skis from like 1980. He said he loved them and would never upgrade, all the while he wasnt able to or couldnt very well ski the types of snow that he enjoyed. Finally my siblings found a nice pair of modern, new age skis for a good price. We bought them and gifted them to our dad. He raves about them now and hasnt used his old skis since.

Just because something works just fine and used to be top of the line doesnt mean there arent newer, upgraded, far superior options available. I fully respect the idea of unmolested classic firearms, but I do encourage you to have an open mind about suppressors. They are an incredible convenience in many ways.

My dad had this super old pair of skis from like 1980. He said he loved them and would never upgrade, all the while he wasnt able to or couldnt very well ski the types of snow that he enjoyed. Finally my siblings found a nice pair of modern, new age skis for a good price. We bought them and gifted them to our dad. He raves about them now and hasnt used his old skis since.

Just because something works just fine and used to be top of the line doesnt mean there arent newer, upgraded, far superior options available. I fully respect the idea of unmolested classic firearms, but I do encourage you to have an open mind about suppressors. They are an incredible convenience in many ways.
I do have an open mind. My mind says I don't want a suppressor. mtmuley

As a kid I loved loud rifles and big kicking guns. As a 34 yo kid now I love gentle recoil and suppressed sound. I may keep my hearing until I’m 40 now that I’ve gotten older and wiser.

I’ve yet to shoot around/let someone shoot my suppressor that they say “I’d never get one”

They make plinking/ everyday shooting so much more enjoyable.

I went suppressed a few years ago. All my rifle will wear suppressors going forward.

I think the greatest benefit is recoil reduction. I’ve had people new to shooting and with flinches pinging steel quickly with my recoiled 280ai.

I created a trust for my and my son’s suppressors. There’s no ATF hassles should I die.

Attachments

• IMG_6736.jpeg
    IMG_6736.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
Its a one time purchase and you'll have it forever, sort of like her wedding ring. Try that angle :ROFLMAO:
Give her a day in the life of what my wife experiences and respond with “what?” to everything she says.

I’m at that age where my hearing is still very good. My dads ears are shot, couldn’t hear a turkey gobble across the drainage. Having a hard time not looking at suppressors….

How’s the wind noise? I tried that route but the wind noise drove me nuts. Wind always blows here
I’m in Wyoming….

I don’t have a problem with it. It does amplify sound. If you would hear wind whistling without them you will hear it with them.

Mine have “wind canceling”….works on all but the worst days. On the worst days….you wouldn’t be able to hear crap with or without them so I guess you could turn them off.

I really don’t see a down side to them.

I hike and hunt with them in 100% during hunting season.

Growing up on tractors and then working in a factory through college did a number on my ears. Add in the hunting without ear protection and now at 51 my hearing is pretty bad. Ordered my first suppressor in February and hoping to have it for hunting this Fall. For my kids I am anal about hearing protection at the range and while hunting. Don't want them to make the same mistakes Dad made...

Wish I would have bought one a decade ago when the approval was quick. I had good hearing and no tinnitus till the first of this year when I fire formed 60 pcs of brass and wore electronics. Now all I hear is ringing in my ears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back