Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Suppressor & Barrel Length

Explain to me how a suppressor makes a rifle more "functional". mtmuley
For me, it allows me to not think about ringing my ears at all while stalking or setting up a shot, I don't even carry ear pro in my pack at all. I consider that a big function upgrade.

I'm on the thread everything train. I think my beater 17wsm is the only long gun that I own that isn't threaded, mostly because I don't like it enough to spend the money, and this includes all the shotguns too.

Last edited:
I just got my suppressor in yesterday (6" Harvester EVO) and now am looking at my different rifles to decide which ones to modify. I would love some input from you all that use them on your hunting rifles. Should I thread them all? Skip some? Keep them long? Cut some down? To what length? Here are my candidates:

22-250 w/ 22" barrel. This is my varmint gun. Shooting sub-sonics would defeat the purpose of the cartridge (I get 3900fps w/ 50gr Vmax), so it would primarily let me see impacts and reduce the crack, but would definitely not be a silent killer.

7mm-08 w/ 22" barrel. This is my deer rifle. Classic walnut stock. 2950fps with 140gr HH's.

280AI with 22" barrel. This is my primary western big game rifle. Shoots 143gr HH's at 3000fps.

300WSM with 24" barrel. This is my backup big game rifle and would be my go to when I am lucky enough to draw a oryx or maybe a bison. Shoots 166gr HHs at 3140fps.

If I cut the barrel and add the suppressor, what would be the effect on velocity?

@brockel and others? What say you?
I'm in the same boat, I've still got a few months before my suppressors arrive but already thinking about it.

It depends… what size thread is your can? Will you have enough barrel to cut threads and have a shoulder for the can to set against?

If it’s all a go, I say cut/thread the 7-HT and the WSM, then just thread the .22-250 and .280 AI.

I looked at chopping my RUM barrel down, but even at 20” I don’t have enough meat there to cut 5/8x24 threads and have some for a shoulder. So no can on that until the barrel gets toasted and it’s time for a new pipe.

It depends… what size thread is your can? Will you have enough barrel to cut threads and have a shoulder for the can to set against?

If it’s all a go, I say cut/thread the 7-HT and the WSM, then just thread the .22-250 and .280 AI.

I looked at chopping my RUM barrel down, but even at 20” I don’t have enough meat there to cut 5/8x24 threads and have some for a shoulder. So no can on that until the barrel gets toasted and it’s time for a new pipe.
There’s lots of guys running 1/2” or 9/16” adapters to 5/8” and running their can

My can comes with direct thread mounts in both 5/8-24 and 1/2-28.
What % thread is needed?

Here are my barrel diameters.

22-250
22”: .630
20”: .645
18”: .655

7-08
22”: .635
20”: .650
18”: .665

280ai
22”: .585
20”: .610
18”: .635

300wsm
24”: .750

Last edited:
20” for magnum regardless of long or short action?

Does barrel profile play into the optimal length?
It has more to do with charge weight than barrel contour. I should quantify my statement as 60-80gr charge weight. 300WSM and 300WinMag are classed the same.
For RUM class rounds I wouldn't go shorter than 22."

Barrel profile matters for stiffness and thread size.

My can comes with direct thread mounts in both 5/8-24 and 1/2-28.
What % thread is needed?

Here are my barrel diameters.

22-250
22”: .630
20”: .645
18”: .655

7-08
22”: .635
20”: .650
18”: .665

280ai
22”: .585
20”: .610
18”: .635

300wsm
24”: .750 (bull barrel)
22-250 1/2-28 or 9/16-24
7-08 & 280 9/16-24
300wsm 5/8-24

Use adapters as needed.

It doesn't. But try to carry a 20" to 26" barreled rifle with a 6" -7" can on it thru thick brush. Functional may not have been the best use of my vocabulary. I have found that when using a can a shorter barrel with a can is easier to carry and better balanced rifle to shoot. My 308 and my 270 are both 18" barrels and my 300wm is at 20". YMMV

I say cut the ones it makes sense to and leave the others. If some of your rifles are halfway collectible or sentimental I wouldn’t cut them. I have a few rifles like that so I just built or purchased new rifles for suppressor use. So out of a dozen rifles or so I only have two not cut or threaded. 😂

A shorter barrel without a doubt makes a suppressed rifle more ‘functional’. Do you not agree with that?

Out of curiosity how much time have you spent behind a suppressed rifle?

A 30” barrel is just as easy to handle and move around as a 20” barrel?
I’m starting to think that how each of us use our rifles is very different. My train of thought is for a high country elk hunting.

Long barrels are sexy and provide velocity for long range shooting. I don’t sweep brush like I’m hunting Viet Cong.

I wouldn’t own a 20” elk rifle nor a 30 ounce suppressor.

I’m starting to think that how each of us use our rifles is very different. My train of thought is for a high country elk hunting.

Long barrels are sexy and provide velocity for long range shooting. I don’t sweep brush like I’m hunting Viet Cong.

I wouldn’t own a 20” elk rifle nor a 30 ounce suppressor.
You’re exactly right. One size doesn’t fit every scenario perfectly. For anyone venturing into the timber, 26”+ a suppressor doesn’t make much sense. If you’re hanging in the high country playing the long game, the extra length can give a little advantage. In my mind, a shorter barrel while negatively effect very few people.

For those of you who cut down, were you able to get the same accuracy as before? I have good loads worked out on all of these, so that’s one of my fears.

Another question: if threading only, did the can change only the poi or did groups change as well?

Last edited:
A short barrel reduces velocity which will reduce the rifles PBR.

In my case, I know my PBR is roughly 300 yards and I’m 9” low at 400. I can adjust accordingly.

If I cut my 24” barrel to 20”. My PBR is reduced and I’ll be a lot lower drop at 400 yards due to the reduced velocity. My hold a little high on elk goes away.

Reduced velocity will affect my long range shooting and dialing capacity of my rifle too.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back