Caribou Gear Tarp

Suppressed Hunting Rifle Video

My hearing is shot. I wish I would have had a suppressor growing up. I would stick to the company’s that have been around for awhile and are proven.

I understand the benefits of a suppressor. I won’t be getting any. My hearing has been abused for years running equipment, firing cases of 12 ga. Magnums at waterfowl, firing rifles and handguns at work, and taking. 12 gauge blast a couple inches from the back of my head from a bad guy. I wear hearing aids now. I use hearing protection religiously. I’m just not excited about carrying a rifle with a big can screwed onto the barrel.

Its not really that painful, just a little time consuming on your purchase day. Just show up with your "passport" photos that they will attach to your application and its just a lot of pieces of paperwork that they have to fill out for you at the counter. You submit all your fingerprints and pay for it. After that you just wait till they call you and you go and pick it up.
It's not even that hard. I bought my cans online. I went to the kiosk at the LGS to get my prints and info into their system the siliencer shop app let me use my phone to take my "passport" photo. They did up all my paperwork and I used docusign on my phone to sign and submit.
I just submitted my app for a passport. I thought that process was more difficult and time consuming.

I hunt alone most if the time. Being able to see my impacts thru the scope and getting an audible confirmation of hit are the main reasons I went to a supressed rifle.

I've got a can, my hunting partner shot my rifle with the can and immediately started the process of getting his own. I now have two rifles threaded for it, and have started stashing away money to have #3 and 4 threaded. My hearing is trashed already from shooting without protection, nail guns, skilsaws, an especially temperamental open cab D6, and everything else in life... but I've got two little boys that I really can't wait to teach how to shoot and hunt, so ultimately the can is for them, and to protect what little I have left.

Reduced sound is only half the benefit of a suppressor. The greatest benefit I feel is the reduced recoil. My 280ai on a 6 pound rifle now shoots at the recoil level near a 243 or less. Suppressors build confidence in shooters.
I've made a similar comparison to explain to people how my .308 shoots suppressed - feels about the same as a .243.

Is there a way to actually measure recoil that a person could use at home?

I'll stick with $40 ear protection muffs...I don't care if the animals hear the shot....I can handle the recoil still without one. I personally like the big a$$ boom of my 308... :)

My dad had this super old pair of skis from like 1980. He said he loved them and would never upgrade, all the while he wasnt able to or couldnt very well ski the types of snow that he enjoyed. Finally my siblings found a nice pair of modern, new age skis for a good price. We bought them and gifted them to our dad. He raves about them now and hasnt used his old skis since.

Just because something works just fine and used to be top of the line doesnt mean there arent newer, upgraded, far superior options available. I fully respect the idea of unmolested classic firearms, but I do encourage you to have an open mind about suppressors. They are an incredible convenience in many ways.
I think the issue here is that you aren’t a generational peer. If Boomers got all excited about the values of hearing protection then we’d have major law. McConnell would refuse to move on anything important until suppressors were required. Just like computers, cell phones, automatic transmission, peers need to accept silencers or it’ll remain a scary new thing.

I think the issue here is that you aren’t a generational peer. If Boomers got all excited about the values of hearing protection then we’d have major law. McConnell would refuse to move on anything important until suppressors were required. Just like computers, cell phones, automatic transmission, peers need to accept silencers or it’ll remain a scary new thing.
..and Medicare would pay for em.

-Vested Boomer

I've got a can, my hunting partner shot my rifle with the can and immediately started the process of getting his own. I now have two rifles threaded for it, and have started stashing away money to have #3 and 4 threaded. My hearing is trashed already from shooting without protection, nail guns, skilsaws, an especially temperamental open cab D6, and everything else in life... but I've got two little boys that I really can't wait to teach how to shoot and hunt, so ultimately the can is for them, and to protect what little I have left.
My oldest didn’t enjoy shooting much until I got my suppressor. Now she loves shooting. But even when practicing we still wear plugs or muffs with suppressor.

This is a great time to bring up Texas HB 957. Just like rec cannabis in many states, we can try and pass suppressors on a State level that remain in the State. Fed law be damned.

I'm confused. Are you the dumbass or is brockel?
Neither of us. He likes suppressors. I don't want one. It seems it's hard for some people to understand that. So, I guess some people might think I'm a dumbass for not wanting a suppressor. mtmuley

God Bless Texas!
Though we ought to give a nod to CO and WA too. They were the first States to allow rec weed without claiming some medicinal benefit. And still in defiance of Fed law. Through that action, TX saw opportunity elsewhere and I completely support that. For we are a Union of States, not a contiguous collective of Federal counties.

I plan rifles around suppressors anymore.

I’ve not thought about suppressors til reading this thread (but do care about the ears). I have one big game rifle (Tikka T3 lite 30-06) that’s not threaded, and I like it just fine. I’m not loaded, unfortunately so thinking cost/logistics. So we’re thinking about 700 for suppressor and license? What’s it cost to thread a barrel for one? Will retrofitting a gun like this make it all unbalanced? Would this be a “buy a new gun if you want it suppressed” situation? Just curious what those who’ve done this a bit think.

Back