Caribou Gear

Semi-auto Shotguns

IlliniFIre

I'm sure this is one of those things that ends up a personal preference, but I was looking for input on semi auto shotguns. I noticed in the latest Dick's Sporting Goods ad that they have a sale on the Remington VersaMax Sportsman for $750. They also have the Beretta A300 on sale for around $600. I"m looking at new gun and want to keep it under a grand so I can sell the wife on it easier. I am curious if anyone has had issues with the Versamax? Is the A300 going to have a smoother action since it is one of those fancy B guns. Should I care about having 3.5" capabilities since I already have a pump gun that shoots 3.5s. Or is there another option I'm overlooking that is still going to be a good option? This would end up being my bird gun, so dove, ducks, and upland game.

You really don't need a 3.5" gun. I have one but I don't use 3.5" shells much. I have shot them at turkeys and that is about it.

I haven't shot the VersaMax but I know guys that have them love them. You really cant go wrong with Beretta's. I have one that I love shooting.

How do the guns shoulder? I bought a Browning Maxus just because I love the way the gun shoulders. I use the Browning for ducks because it is a heavy sucker and I use my Berretta for pheasants because it is lighter.

Both the guns you are looking at are gas guns also so they are similar animals.

A good friend of mine has a Versamax. He primarily hunts ducks and he loves it. I've shot clays with it, and it's a nice shooting gun. I don't think I'd like it for much upland hunting.

I haven't handled a Beretta A300, but I've owned a AL391 for about 13 years now and absolutely love it.

As for 3.5" shells, depends on how you hunt. If you do a lot of field hunting for geese you may want it. I am either hunting upland or decoying ducks over water, so I have no use for them.

Ill agree with max. I have a beretta extrema II and usually only shoot 3.5 for turkeys. Not needed there either but why not. Snow geese once in awhile too.

Is the a300 the same as the old 390? the 3901 was the same and the 390 was is a heck of a shotgun.

After what I've put my beretta through over the years, I'll never shoot anything but a beretta.

I cannot comment on the versamax but from what i've saw of other remington autos, I'd steer ya to beretta.

I cannot comment on the versamax but from what i've saw of other remington autos, I'd steer ya to beretta.

Like I said I haven't shot the versamax and I would agree with some of the older ones but I think from everything I have heard/read they got that one right!

I think Remington is running a $75 rebate so the 2 shotguns are actually similarly priced. Remington has suffered lately with QC (not sure if that is an issue with the shotguns) and Beretta does have a long history of good shotguns. In the end, it all runs to if you want 3.5" (which isn't necessary but handy when you want to run really fast steel loads and/or heavier turkey loads). I think 3.5" guns have better resale.

Upland game hunting I'd reach for a Beretta all day long. I am also a fan of the Maxxus which would be my next shotgun purchase.

Last edited:
I have an A300, it's definitely a great gun, reliable and easy to take apart when needed, I really need to shoot it more. I have a benelli super nova pump if I ever want to shoot 3.5's. However, I have never needed to use 3.5's, it just doesn't seem to pay, I use good quality 3" and i've never had a problem, dead is dead. We have some big honkers up here in the late season.

I have a duck hunting buddy that has the versa max and loves it shoots well cycles well. One of my best friends switched from Benelli to beretta and loves the a300. So much I fact he bought one for each of his boys. If you are hunting ducks and upland then 3" chamber will be perfect. I have a SBE 2 and love it but I am a Benelli man. The only time I use 3.5 is honkers and turkeys. At the 600 dollar price for the a 300 I don't think you can go wrong. I might look at that for my son. He has been wanton a twelve gauge.

benelli all the way. I picked up a lightly used 3" auto for well under a grand a couple years ago. 3" is plenty of gun especially with the new heavy shot options.

I have a Benelli super black eagle.....Love it. I like the option of being able to use 3.5 and 3

This seems obvious but make sure you shoulder the guns multiple times. I've never been able to shoot Berettas. They just don't fit me worth a darn. Same with the new Citori 725's. But guns like the Ruger Red Label, Remington 1100's, Cynergys, and the Franchi Affinitys seem to fit me very well. Speaking of the Franchi Affinity, I would take a look at those if you can. Shoulders similar to a Benelli M2 with very little weight. I use them for upland game and they have been reliable and very easy to clean. They take the Beretta Benelli Mobil chokes if you want aftermarket choke tubes. The Affinity is only a 3" gun. The Intensity is the 3.5 version.

I have the Al 391, Urika 2. A very sweet shooting gun. NOTE: the gun will only hold (4) 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. No problem unless you are snow goose hunting and want more shells. There is NO extension for this model. Just something that you might want to consider.

good luck to all
the dog

I have the Al 391, Urika 2. A very sweet shooting gun. NOTE: the gun will only hold (4) 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. No problem unless you are snow goose hunting and want more shells. There is NO extension for this model. Just something that you might want to consider.

good luck to all
the dog

Aren't you limited to 3 shells when goose hunting?? Or other migratory waterfowl??

I will never buy another Remington semi, I've owned 3 including a versa and not one has made it more than two seasons without going back to rem. benelli, beretta, browning is the way to go.

As far as 3.5 you say you have one so you know how ofter and when/why you use 3.5 shells. I like Beretta shotguns , have not had one that did't shoot good for me.

Pick one that feels good to you. 3.5 is not needed in any thing you do with it. Although the 3.5 for goose may be nice if you shoot straight you can kill'em with a .410. FWIW I shoot a benelli m2 and love it. I too have a nova but without the mercury tube you don't want to cycle that gun a whole lot with 3.5".

im a beretta fan, but see if there is a registered sporting clays shoot close to where you are. If so there will probably be venders there so you can check out which one you shoot better and go with that one. To try them out at a shoot it usually only cost a round of five stand and a box of shells;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back