Upland 20 gauge recommendations

What was the issue?
You have to let the bolt slam shut to ensure it would fire. If you wanted to slowly close the bolt to limit noise, it wouldn't go off. If you wanted to verify you have a round in the chamber, you couldn't just open the bolt partially. I think it's referred to as the 'Benelli click' that would show up in internet searches.

Some people say it's a non-issue, but it cost me opportunities. I believe if I pay that much money for a shotgun, the minimum expectation I would have is that it go bang every time I pull the trigger on a closed bolt.

You have to let the bolt slam shut to ensure it would fire. If you wanted to slowly close the bolt to limit noise, it wouldn't go off. If you wanted to verify you have a round in the chamber, you couldn't just open the bolt partially. I think it's referred to as the 'Benelli click' that would show up in internet searches.

Some people say it's a non-issue, but it cost me opportunities. I believe if I pay that much money for a shotgun, the minimum expectation I would have is that it go bang every time I pull the trigger on a closed bolt.
Ok . Just wondering. I have had the bolt issue you describe happen a few times but it never caused enough problems to upset me.

We have three Benellis in my house and have shot cases and cases of shells through them.

This is your free pass gun.

You still need the autoloader. ;)
I may have to save up for something really nice. Haha. I have 2 auto-loading 12 gauge shotguns, but I am really liking the 20 gauge for most applications.

Agreed! Plus, the o/u in a duck blind is more difficult to use. Could argue that it can be dangerous 😏
How so? I have duck hunted a lot with a Weatherby Orion and never had an issue with safety.

I acquired a new Stoger M3020 with the Burnt Bronze finish in the receiver and barrel. I too wanted an upland game semi-auto shotgun I could carry and shoot all day. It has proven to be reliable and most importantly adjustable for the fit I like. I use it on Dove, Quail, Chucker, Pheasants and the occasional duck if they get close enough.

All in for $623, can’t go wrong IMHO.

How so? I have duck hunted a lot with a Weatherby Orion and never had an issue with safety.
Completely depends on the blind you are in... but

Breaching the action in a tight space to unload, or reload, is much more difficult. Again, depends on the blind. But keeping the barrel facing a safe direction is the main concern.

Last blind I was in, we all had double barrels. (Out of state hunt, borrowed gun, didn't bring my semi-auto or pump). It was so tight that changing shells from duck to goose was impossible without flaring birds. The barrel had to be facing up and out of the blind making breaking the action open very hard, but it could not be done safely inside the blind. I would have had to face a loaded gun sideways towards other people if I loaded it inside the blind. This was an above ground brush blind.

If I were in a pit blind, it would pose the same issue. Semi's or pumps are just easier to leave the barrel pointed to the sky, load and unload as needed with minimal movement, safely.

I love my double barrels for upland though and have used them many times for waterfowl. Most the blinds Im in are just better suited for semis.

I am going through the same dilemma. I am looking hard at the Beretta A400 Upland, Beretta 686 silver pigeon, or Browning Citori hunter grade II. I want a nice 20 ga for grouse and dove. Possibly to be used by wife for skeet. The A400 is nice but there is just something about an over under that I really like.

My plan is to apply for Idaho moose and when I get my rejection letter, I will take the refund and by the 20ga. I have a 12 ga Benelli M2 (birthday present from my wife a few years ago) but really want a fun and light 20ga.

Last edited:
I am going through the same dilemma. I am looking hard at the Beretta A400 Upland, Beretta 686 silver pigeon, or Browning Citori hunter grade II. I want a nice 20 ga for grouse and dove. Possibly to be used by wife gore sleet. The A400 is nice but there is just something about an over under that I really like.

My plan is to apply for Idaho moose and when I get my rejection letter, I will take the refund and by the 20ga. I have a 12 ga Benelli M2 (birthday present from my wife a few years ago) but really want a fun and light 20ga.
Browning O/U is an amazing gun. Had mine for 15yrs

Completely depends on the blind you are in... but

Breaching the action in a tight space to unload, or reload, is much more difficult. Again, depends on the blind. But keeping the barrel facing a safe direction is the main concern.

Last blind I was in, we all had double barrels. (Out of state hunt, borrowed gun, didn't bring my semi-auto or pump). It was so tight that changing shells from duck to goose was impossible without flaring birds. The barrel had to be facing up and out of the blind making breaking the action open very hard, but it could not be done safely inside the blind. I would have had to face a loaded gun sideways towards other people if I loaded it inside the blind. This was an above ground brush blind.

If I were in a pit blind, it would pose the same issue. Semi's or pumps are just easier to leave the barrel pointed to the sky, load and unload as needed with minimal movement, safely.

I love my double barrels for upland though and have used them many times for waterfowl. Most the blinds Im in are just better suited for semis.
Good points. Like the other fell said, the CZ has magnets, so you can pop it open facing up and the shells won't fall out. However, a pump or auto is definitely easier in that situation. However, I have not been in a situation where the birds were so thick I had that problem. Majority of my duck hunting has been jump shooting.

@USAF Ret interesting that it has magnets, I missed that info. If tight spaces in a blind arent a concern, then that should serve your purposes well. Looks very similar to my winchester 101 o/u which has shot beautifully for longer than Ive been alive.

@USAF Ret interesting that it has magnets, I missed that info. If tight spaces in a blind arent a concern, then that should serve your purposes well. Looks very similar to my winchester 101 o/u which has shot beautifully for longer than Ive been alive.
Looking, I wish I had gone with the CZ Quail. It has a shorter LOP. I will have to get the stock cut down. I usually do anyway and have a good recoil pad installed.

Ok . Just wondering. I have had the bolt issue you describe happen a few times but it never caused enough problems to upset me.

We have three Benellis in my house and have shot cases and cases of shells through them.
Upgrade to a stronger recoil spring to keep the bolt closed.

I am going through the same dilemma. I am looking hard at the Beretta A400 Upland, Beretta 686 silver pigeon, or Browning Citori hunter grade II. I want a nice 20 ga for grouse and dove. Possibly to be used by wife for skeet. The A400 is nice but there is just something about an over under that I really like.

A400 with kick-off is smoooooove. And will adjust to fit the wife.

I have been shooting the upland Sx4 alot the last three years. Zero issues, nice gun.

Attachments

• 20221029_133907.jpg
    20221029_133907.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
I have lots of fancier shotguns in my safe but my Mossberg SA-20 is one of the best shooting of the bunch. Also got a youth one for son when he was younger. They will be one of the lowest cost semis out there but “punch well above their weight”.

If you can move up a bit in price, the montefelro has been known as one of the most reliable and long lasting semis ever. Definitely worth the upgrade. It will long outlast you.

A bit more gets you into the Benelli M2. All the semi shotgun any upland guy needs. Fancier/$$$ is merely gravy.

I have owned, used and referred to others all 3 and never heard a single gripe. Pick your price point and enjoy.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back