Caribou Gear Tarp

Upland 20 gauge recommendations

UPDATE: The LOP on the Drake was way too long. I am short statured and with my neck issues, it is even more of an issue. I called my LGS and they hadn't shipped the shotgun. So, I was able to cancel the order on the Drake. I ordered a CZ Quail which has a shorter LOP. I also just ordered the A300 Ultima with a gray anodized receiver and black synthetic stock for $675. I will be using the Quail for upland and the Beretta A300 for waterfowl. Thanks all.

Well, I got stupid. I am also ordering a Beretta A300 20 gauge. I am going to sell a couple of 12 gauge shotguns I have that have never even been fired. That will make up the difference. I like the recoil system and the adjustable LOP. I do this constantly, I could have ordered a $1400 shotgun for what I am spending on the two. But, both are great shotguns and I have a backup for every gauge and caliber I own.

Thanks for all of the great input. Sounds like the SX4 is a great value. Also seeing folks really loving the Tri-Star Viper and of course, the CZ O/U. I get really good deals on a military discount site called Guidefitter. They carry Weatherby. Unfortunately, they did not have an Element in 20 gauge.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The LOP on the Drake was way too long. I am short statured and with my neck issues, it is even more of an issue. I called my LGS and they hadn't shipped the shotgun. So, I was able to cancel the order on the Drake. I ordered a CZ Quail which has a shorter LOP. I also just ordered the A300 Ultima with a gray anodized receiver and black synthetic stock for $675. I will be using the Quail for upland and the Beretta A300 for waterfowl. Thanks all.

Well, I got stupid. I am also ordering a Beretta A300 20 gauge. I am going to sell a couple of 12 gauge shotguns I have that have never even been fired. That will make up the difference. I like the recoil system and the adjustable LOP. I do this constantly, I could have ordered a $1400 shotgun for what I am spending on the two. But, both are great shotguns and I have a backup for every gauge and caliber I own.

Thanks for all of the great input. Sounds like the SX4 is a great value. Also seeing folks really loving the Tri-Star Viper and of course, the CZ O/U. I get really good deals on a military discount site called Guidefitter. They carry Weatherby. Unfortunately, they did not have an Element in 20 gauge.

Stupid can be fun.

I got some 2 3/4" BOSS #5 shot for duck hunting. Anyone ever used those?
We’ve used Boss bismuth 5s this year. They are duck killers. I think less cripples but I might be bismuth biased. Boss are a little finicky - shells aren’t waterproof. Son dunked a box or so by mistake. A bunch would not fire. Firing pin dings in the primer. We had one frustrating duck hunt. Ducks would come in and maybe the first shell went off but not the second. We threw the wet group away and solved the problem.

I’ll continue buying bismuth going forward for ducks.

I got the Beretta A300 in and installed a Limbsaver recoil pad. I went and shot a few rounds of trap Sunday and it was a dream to shoot. Very comfortable with 2 3/4 inch loads. I also got a CZ Quail in 20 gauge. I pulled the recoil pad off and added a slip on Limsaver. Not as a soft shoot as the Beretta, but I could handle it shooting 15 or 20 times upland bird hunting. Ducks and dove, definitely the Beretta.
I have two brand new Mossberg 12 gauge shotguns in my safe I have never even shot. A waterfowl and turkey model. Those are heading to the gun shop for a trade or sale.

Just my 2 cents, but if you were worried about the LOP you could always just have the stock shortened. That's what I do on all my shotguns. I have them all cut to 13 1/2". They seam to fit me better and come up quicker. Especially in the later season when I'm wearing extra layers. Of course the only down side is if you want to resale one. Who wants to do that though. :)

Just my 2 cents, but if you were worried about the LOP you could always just have the stock shortened. That's what I do on all my shotguns. I have them all cut to 13 1/2". They seam to fit me better and come up quicker. Especially in the later season when I'm wearing extra layers. Of course the only down side is if you want to resale one. Who wants to do that though. :)
I got the CZ Quail which has a shortened LOP and the Beretta A300, you can remove the recoil system and use a standard pad to reduce the LOP. Both are good to go. And, I do the same. LOP is always too long.

I got the CZ Quail which has a shortened LOP and the Beretta A300, you can remove the recoil system and use a standard pad to reduce the LOP. Both are good to go. And, I do the same. LOP is always too long.
I shoot cheap Remington's so it's always the saw for me. lol Glad you found some you like and fit you well.

I shoot cheap Remington's so it's always the saw for me. lol Glad you found some you like and fit you well.
Well, I went into the local gun store and a guy had just traded in a pristine Remington 11-87 20 gauge. Had been sitting on the rack for 30 min and when I pulled it down and said I will take it, there were gasps from the folks wanting to buy it.11-87_1.jpg11-87_2.jpg

I have two upland guns…a Franchi AL48 20ga auto and a Browning Citori Ultralight Feather.

Truth is, the Franchi fits better and is actually 1/2# lighter. But I truly hate chasing my shells in the field.

Hi. I am setting up a hunt on a nearby game preserve for me and my late son's best friend. It will be very special. This hunt is for pheasant, chukkar and quail. I don't have an upland shotgun. I would like to buy an semi-auto gas operated 20 gauge for this hunt, and maybe future hunts. Maybe even some duck hunting for woodies.

I do not want to get something cheap, but I don't want to break the bank. I think $700 is my cap. Right now I am looking at the Beretta A300 and the Tristar Viper. I did call for a quote on a new Remington 1100. I may break the bank a little for that one.

Any other shotguns I may have missed? What are your thoughts on my choices? Do you have one of these?
Owned a gun shop for many years and had my choice of guns. The best pointing gas shotgun I ever owned as far as throw it up and it's on the money was a Remington 1100 special field. The straight english stock was a natural. Used for a wide variety of quarry. From throwing slugs to woodland grouse. Thats my pick. Youll have to look around pretty hard to find one though. If you do, dont hesitate. It'll get snapped up fast.

I fixed up my Beretta A300 Ultima for turkey and duck. It was a black with a gray receiver. Not exactly the best for hunting birds that can see movement. I tried gun skins and made a complete mess. I could not get it to fit and had wrinkles in it. Pulled it off and went back to the rattle can. Used some things from the yard and also bought some fake plants from Walmart. I think it turned out pretty decent.

View attachment Beretta_1.jpg

View attachment Beretta_2.jpg

View attachment Beretta_3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back