3” semi auto 12ga recommendations

Thanks guys. The two guys that got me out duck hunting run M3000’s, one of them has had a “click” issue. The other guys gun has issues with 2 3/4” shells.

Honestly even if that was the obvious choice I’d resist, I get too much satisfaction giving them crap for having matching guns 😂
It's the cheap gun and useless gun of the auto world. I learned the hard way and still use that pos on some hunts when I know it's going to get down right muddy and nasty.

The top two around that range are Franchi Affinity and Beretta A300. One of the two will probably fit. If it's the inertia gun upgrade the return spring to eliminate the click. Don't buy a gun that doesn't fit well no matter what.

You could go cheaper, but not enough to make it worth if you're not real tight on money. Also, if you're not real tight, going to a 20ga and HTL shells will probably help.

I've got a Beretta A300 you can get for under 700. It's the wood stock model. I want to replace it with the Ultima version.

Another vote for the Franchi Affinity 3 or Beretta A300. I have shot them both a LOT through work and have found them to be fully reliable. The Beretta shoots a little softer but gas will require a little more cleaning. I have an Affinity 3.5 myself and love it (3 seasons now without a SINGLE failure of any type). POI is a 70/30 IMO.

Benelli 90 super black eagle. Never had a problem and easy to take apart in field and even drop the bolt. Now my comparison is my mossberg 500 that has jammed, misfired on 3 deer and geese in the cold. I got my Benelli for just over 500 on a pro deal. Man I miss working at sporting goods store for the discounts and special deals.

Last edited:
The top two around that range are Franchi Affinity and Beretta A300. One of the two will probably fit. If it's the inertia gun upgrade the return spring to eliminate the click. Don't buy a gun that doesn't fit well no matter what.

You could go cheaper, but not enough to make it worth if you're not real tight on money. Also, if you're not real tight, going to a 20ga and HTL shells will probably help.

I've got a Beretta A300 you can get for under 700. It's the wood stock model. I want to replace it with the Ultima version.
I have an A300 and it's a great gun, never had it let me down and I've used it in some pretty nasty duck weather. But my 1947 Model 12 pump is still the champ! Doubles as a paddle too!

I have a Franchi Affinity 12ga 3". my only complaint is the barrel finish. I hunt ducks and some specks in west Tennessee and Northeast Arkansas, as well as doing the public land thing in Arkansas when i really get an itch for the timber. this year, I started throwing an oil soaked rag in my blind bag and wipe down the affinity before putting it away. my only complaint about the affinity is that after the first season (20+ days of hunting, a decent balance of in a blind/against a tree), it gets surface rust very easy. if you are looking for a reliable shotgun that you can use anywhere, I really think it cannot be beat for the price. if i were to do it again, i would have bought the camo version. fwiw, I am getting it cerakoted before duck season this year.

as long as you stick with a reputable brand, with a reputable warranty, i think you will be glad.

I have a Franchi Affinity 12ga 3". my only complaint is the barrel finish. .....inst a tree), it gets surface rust very easy. ...
Krylon is fairly durable and cheap.

For a cheap gun check Yildiz A71.

Don't buy a shotgun unless it fits you well.

So I just recently replaced my Stoeger M3000 with a Franchi Affinity 3 LH.

As far as the stoeger goes, it was a great gun. Not the lightest, not the fanciest, but I killed 100s of birds with it in every condition. From layout blinds in a thunderstorm where we ended up sitting in water while shooting ducks & geese, to freezing rain in November. That thing never failed. I did replace the extractor at one point because I had run so many rounds through it.

The only reason I upgraded was because I'm a lefty and decided it's time to bring a left handed shotgun to the table. So far, I love the Franchi. I paid $400 for the Stoeger in 2016. I bought it used. Sold it to a coworker for $300 a couple of weeks ago. The Franchi was $920 or so out the door. Not a bad price for a pretty nice gun. Best of all, it's left handed!

Some great recommendations have been given so far . . . here's my $0.02:

I've shot some sort of Benelli auto for the past couple decades. From the grain fields of Canada chasing waterfowl, to doves in Argentina, and all the places in between, I've NEVER had one issue with my autos (SBE, SBE2, and M2). If I were you, I'd go to the nearest gun store and handle a M2, and a couple gas guns (i.e. SX3, SX4, Maxus) and see which one feels the best to you. Save a little more money and you'll get a gun that'll leave you wanting nothing more.

I’ll be another to suggest a used beretta. I’ve got a 390 and 391 I really like. The newer 400’s seem lighter and thinner which I like the feel of. Some of the pre 390 guns, name escapes me now, were nice as well

Thanks again everyone. This seems like a great forum and I appreciate all the feedback. Started talking with a guy at work that is a big waterfowler, and has a good size collection. He has offered to let me come check out a bunch of shotguns in his collection and can probably help me with fit too.

I love my win 120, but not will be nice to have a semi for the coming season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back