3” semi auto 12ga recommendations

In your price range, you won't find a better shotgun than the Beretta A300 (or one of its predecessors...303, 390, 391, 3901). The 300 series Berettas are regarded by many as the best 3" field shotguns ever made, with many stories of guns getting into 6 figure shell counts with little cleaning (not that I'm recommending that) and no major parts breakages.

My 3901 has been running like a top for a decade now.

$700 is pretty low for an auto. I would beg borrow wait or steal a little more.

First get one that fits you well and feels good. I wouldn’t buy used. Good chance you are buying somebody else’s problem.

I would stay away from interia at that price. I would stay away from a used Benelli. I have seen my buddies have the click way too many times. I know guys love them but I wouldn’t own a gun that the action doesn’t lock shut.

Gas operated would be the way to go, a little less recoil. I have had an SX3 for years and it’s a great gun. I saw a SX4 in black at scheels the other day for $799. I believe or maybe $899. Great gun. Also the Beretta 300 series is a great gun and sometimes they go on sale for a great price.

You definitely don’t need to pay extra for 3.5 shells. Heck with premium bismuth shells and variable chokes, 2 3/4 inch shells would be plenty good for all waterfowl. Good luck and good hunting.

Remember fit is the most important thing.

Had my hands on a Beretta ES100 (used) today. Loved the feel of it , but if I go this route I may need a shim to adjust how it points for me.
I've had my ES100 for about 20 years, probably 10,000 rounds though it. Its killed pretty much everything with feathers in the eastern US and is still my daily driver for a waterfowl and turkey gun. I've shot clays with it for so long that the heat mirage was too thick to see through and the gun too hot to lay your face on. Runs like a sewing machine.

Only issue I've ever had was a cycling problem about two years ago when the recoil spring wore out. The issue was resolved by replacing the recoil system with a SureCycle ($200 +/-). This cured it and she runs better than ever now. The bluing kinda sucks on them as well, I've considered getting mine cerakoted but haven't gone through with it yet.

Last edited:
I've had my ES100 for about 20 years, probably 10,000 rounds though it. Its killed pretty much everything with feathers in the eastern US and is still my daily driver for a waterfowl and turkey gun. I've shot clays with it for so long that the heat mirage was too thick to see through and the gun too hot to lay your face on. Runs like a sewing machine.

Only issue I've ever had was a cycling problem about two years ago when the recoil spring wore out. The issue was resolved by replacing the recoil system with a SureCycle ($200 +/-). This cured it and she runs better than ever now. The bluing kinda sucks on them as well, I've considered getting mine cerakoted but haven't gone through with it yet.
Sounds promising! Any idea about shim availability for the stock? I’ve read Benelli legend shims may fit. Mounted, I was looking up the rib to the bead a bit. I see Cabela’s has the outlander new for about the same price (+chokes, stock adjustment pcs etc) thanks

Sounds promising! Any idea about shim availability for the stock? I’ve read Benelli legend shims may fit. Mounted, I was looking up the rib to the bead a bit. I see Cabela’s has the outlander new for about the same price (+chokes, stock adjustment pcs etc) thanks
I cant help you on shims, mine is as it was from the factory. I do see a bit of rib on mine as well when mounted but I've grown so used to that sight picture I would never consider a change.

The Beretta ES100 is the same exact gun as the Benelli SL. The SL immediately preceeded and inspired the Benelli Black Eagle, M1 Super 90, and Super Black Eagle.

Comparing the two: ES100s are inertia guns, Outlanders are gas guns. Neither are true Italian Berettas- ES100s were partially Spanish made, Outlanders are US made. They both use Beretta MobilChoke tubes. Many ES100s also came with an interchangeable 24" rifled slug barrel, I'd check to see if the one you're looking at includes the second barrel. Outlanders are in current production which may be beneficial for getting parts or maintenance.

I'd probably make the call on the condition if the used ES100, feel and fit vs the Outlander, and whether you want gas or inertia.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. I took the plunge on the Beretta ES100 I found. It seems to be in great shape, and when I went back in to look at it again it seemed like my initial issue with pointing it was more a matter of how I bring it up to mount. Time will tell, and I can’t wait to get it out to bust some clays. It does have a little different “manual of arms” as far as loading/unloading so I’m sure spending some time with it pre season is a good idea. I figure worse case if ot doesn’t work out, it should sting less since it’s a respected manufacturer and I shouldn’t lose too much money in the resale.

I shoot a Franchise Affinity. Very similar to Benelli M2. It's awesome.

My GF shoots a SBE 3. Her gun needs significantly more cleaning than mine. It has become a single shot several times due to fouling. I've cleaned my gun 2x since 2015. Just my experience.

I will repeat what was previously said about fit! On paper my Beretta A391 is my perfect shotgun, but especially with the kickoff the LOP is entirely too long for me and I shoot like crap with it. One of the models I have been eyeballing is the Savage Renegauge. That is close to your budget and highly adjustable. I can't vouch for the longevity yet (can't even find one in stock to test shoulder), but it is sure looking like a good value.

Back