Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rifles - Opinions wanted

I am going to ask guest hunters that they use the product of partners we are working with.

How do you plan to have those guest hunters comfortable shooting with the rifles prior to the episode? Maybe this is a stupid question, but I've hunted with a shotgun that wasn't mine and it made for a chitty hunt. I guess I'm just picturing your guest showing up before the hunt and you handing them a rifle and saying "shoot this."

If Buzz does draw a MT ram tag...and capitulates( fat chance) on using a custom, I sure hope OYOA has picked up a decent hat sponsor.;)

Last edited:
How do you plan to have those guest hunters comfortable shooting with the rifles prior to the episode? Maybe this is a stupid question, but I've hunted with a shotgun that wasn't mine and it made for a chitty hunt. I guess I'm just picturing your guest showing up before the hunt and you handing them a rifle and saying "shoot this."

It could be that way, if they don't have any of the equipment we would ask them to use. To date, four guest hunters have used my rifles, for a variety of reasons. All one-shot kills.

That is part of making TV. Don't know an easy way around it. It would be best if I could get them a rifle with a Leupold scope and Federal Ammo before the hunt. Not always feasible.

Knowing that, I make sure my rifles are dialed in to a level better than me, or any of my guest hunters, have been able to exceed. As such, no problems so far. The broken scope ring in the Colorado antelope hunt being the one exception :D

Best is when Oak or Lawnboy or Bugler show up and they have it all ready to go and make me look bad by making great stalks and great shots.

All of this goes to the point that making TV is full of hard decisions. It takes a high level of commitment and extra work, to do it right.

We are first and foremost producing the highest quality TV we can. In the process, we must stay true to what the average non-guided hunter would experience on the hunt we are on. If that means we lose opportunities for bigger animals to fulfill our message and commitment to quality, so be it.

And if that means we have to ask guest hunters to work with us as we do the best job possible for the partners who are paying to see this unique message brought to TV, so be it.

Doesn't really matter if the gun is custom or not. if you like the gun and they want to sponsor the show i say go for it.

Big Fin,

I have to admit that I do not get the Outdoor Channel here in Dodge, so I have not seen your show, but from the forum and the accolades you have received, I know I need to order a DVD of your shows.

My opinion is that if you require that only the sponsor's custom rifles be used in the televised shows, it goes against the concept of the show. To me, it seems to be saying to the viewers, you can do a OYO Adventure, but you need to have the RitzGun Model 9500 to do it. What is wrong with the following if I happen to be on one of your shows?

Randy: "Maynard, I see you are shooting a Winchester Model 70?"

MRB: "Yes, Randy, it was given to me by my late brother. You know, I was down on my luck and wanted to start deer hunting, but just didn't have the money to by a rifle and my brother was good enough to give me this gun that he had owned for a number of years, but never taken out of the box. That gift started me hunting big game and I loaned it to my sixteen year old son to take his first mule deer, a mount that hangs on the wall at ranch headquarters."

Randy: "I see there are a few marks and dings on the rifle."

MRB: "Yes, Randy, and each has a story. I hope one day to pass this rifle on to my grandson with the hopes that it brings as much joy to him as it has me."

Randy: "That is great, Maynard. I feel much the same about the rifle I am shooting today. It is a RitzGun 9500 that I have really fell in love with and enjoy carrying in quest of big game. RitzGun has incorporated a number of features that makes this my go to rifle and I certainly would be proud to pass it on to my grandson one day."

To me this approach would put both you and the custom rifle maker in better light. As a viewer, I see that I can do a OYO Adventure with my gun, but oh, how I would like to one day own a RitzGun.

Just my opinion

I personally dont think Id go with the custom rifle maker. To me not having somone hold my hand while I hunt applies to what I shoot also, I like to put my own stuff together. What also concerns me is that after time or the end of contract the custom guns arent selling and they want to cancel youll be another cowboy Jim Shockey, one week hes shooting a knight Muzzeloader cause its the best and the next he has a TC with a big ole sticker on the stock squealing I shoot one, you should too, give me a damn break. I realize sposorship is needed so why not use it in the spirit of the show. As one of the episodes use a MRC barreled action, Bell and Carlson stock, Timney trigger, leupold scope and put together a OYOA rifle from all these companies. Other companies could be used for the parts but you get my drift, why jump in bed with one high dollar outfit when you could use products from potential sponsors and do it along with the nature of the show.

I've read this topic, and the responses a couple of times, and I'm sure glad I'm not having to make this decision, I'd think that a custom rifle integrated into the show would be acceptable, but not with a bunch of cutaways showing you cocking the hammer on your TC as some of the realtree or wadell shows seem to have.If you're going to have guest hunters, I'd think that part of the adventure would be seeing the different gear that people have, and the stories that go behind them.Every rifle I own has a story behind it, and that's one of the reasons I carry what I carry on any given hunt (although if I don't kill an elk soon, my dad is going to take back the rifle he gave me). I will say, that while watching the show, I've not noticed gear promos, other than the advertisements at scheduled breaks, and by carrying that theme forward, I'd think that you've continued the story behind on your own adventures.

Note to Big Fin you can cross icb12 off your list of guys you might film. Since the rifle company that helps pay to bring the show to the air offends him to the point that he wouldn't watch the show.

He has no problem with all your other sponsors but draws the line at what shooting iron you pick. Interesting stuff, never imagined it was such an issue.

If it makes you feel better I will still watch, even though you never hunt waterfowl on your shows. :)

Maybe a good old OYO goose hunt over a garage sale decoy spread, home made layout blinds and shooting 870 wingmaster fixed choked shotguns would really bring in the ratings.

Nemont

offends? No, I just like to use my gear. If they wanted to film me, they can bring whatever THEY want and THEY can use it. I have no problem with that at all. But i will use what I have and be happy. Im not at all opposed to idea of a custom rifle on the show or the sponsorship... other than the fact that EVERYONE would be asked to use it.

As to the other sponsors:
I don't particularly care for the Denver Tent co, I don't like Kenetreks. I also really don't like Federal ammo, All my rifles shoot better with other factory loads.

I don't mind that these companies are sponsors, but if OYA came up to film me on a sheep hunt an asked me to use kenetreks... Id say no, I tried them, they don't fit me well. I don't like them. I have my boots for a reason. They could wear kenetreks and support the sponsor. If they asked me to use federal ammo, Id say not thank you, the stuff I have shoots the way I want it. If they asked me to use a denver tent.. Id say sure, if you pack that heavy biatch up the mountain.

If me hunting the way I hunt is a deal breaker. Im sure there are plenty of other hunters who would die for the opportunity to hunt with OYA.

I apologize if it seemed like I peed in everyones cheerios, but thats the way i see things.

This is a pretty interesting thread, and so far the biggest concern Ive seen is if a guest would have to use x brand of guns. Me, I could careless what weapon I have in my hands as long as I can hunt. If Fin said Van I want to go with you on a bear hunt but you have to use an acme 1000 rock I would be tickled. He just better be ready to stand next to me with the acme 2000 boulder in case I just piss him off with the acme 1000. Whatever you decide Fin Im with you and I know OYOA will show the true american hunter.

Underneath it all it still reaks of selling your hunting freedom... you know freedom to choose your weapon, cammo, pack, etc. As for us watching, we still have our freedom to hunt with what ever weapon we choose and thank goodness for that.

I'd happily hunt with brand X custom rifles if they'd pay me well to do so. No question. In the case at hand, if it comes down to not doing it with the weapon of your choice, or being able to afford to do it with a brand X weapon, I think it's an easy decision.

This really isn't a problem. Randy really does have his chit together when it comes to the equipment he is using. If you are borrowing something you can bet it will be ready to go, dialed in and ready to be shot when you get there. If he has the chance he will send you whatever you need to get accustomed too.

Best is when Oak or Lawnboy or Bugler show up and they have it all ready to go and make me look bad by making great stalks and great shots.
Nice try on down playing your abilities behind your weapon of choice. As I've read from Oak and have seen first hand you do quite well when it's crunch time. Just ask your pope and young antelope from New Mexico. :)

Why not just go with the custom rifle, you already use MR packs, I don't consider those in the average joes price range, nor kennetreks either. Most the products your pimping right now hits only a small market of consumers anyways........

Randy-
I feel that the shows meaning & content should be focused upon more than what equipment is being used. I watch the show for what it represents-dedicated hunters in OYO situations on public lands. You get out of the hunt what you put into the hunt! I think that's why everyone on this site is here. We all are willing to work hard for the animals we harvest. I believe anyone who puts up sponsorship dollars must have a strong belief in what we do as OYO hunters. So, for me personally, you take whatever sponsorship you need to keep the show airing at the high level you have gotten it too!! You represent the very best in what hunting shows have to offer. Keep up the great work!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back