Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Buying My First Big Game Hunting Rifle

Bill Christy

A controversial subject to be sure, in my opinion, your hunting rifle is the most important decision you will make in hunting. Like marriage, to each their own. You'll want a caliber suitable to the game you intend to hunt. Gat help from a reputable gun dealer who knows how to help you sort through all the "bells and whistles" offered nowadays. As for me, I'm old school. My hunting rifle is the good old 30-06. This caliber will kill anything I can afford to hunt. I prefer a wood stock because its heavier and will help absorb the recoil. I bought a Remington, before Remington had their financial troubles, because it is one of the longest running, and best, gun companies available. Be prepared to spend the extra money on what could be a "life-long" love affair. Just like a bad marriage, if you settle on the wrong partner, it could cost you dealer in the long run.

That is a bit of a stretch. It is pretty easy to get out of a rifle deal gone bad. It's quite a bit harder and more expensive when a marriage goes south.

I guess my marriage to a rifle was a good one since it has lasted for 50 years. In my case, a Remington model 700BDL in 270Win. A guy could do worse.

In my case, yes. It's not in many of my grip and grin photos but it made it in this one, hidden in the shadows, a bit.
View attachment 314730
It was a query for the OP but that's an awesome pic. Had a friend that had about 10 identical, prolly 70's era, BDL in different chamberings that I drooled over.

Last edited:
My Dad didn't hunt, but he did give me a single shot Rem bolt action .22 rifle when I was about 10, and he enrolled me in an indoor gun range where they taught me the basics of shooting.

When I got to college a couple of my roommates were from Craig, CO and they invited me to go hunting with them. The first year they loaned me a Win 94 in .32 Spl and I shot my first deer with it. The next year I borrowed a sporterized .30-40 Krag from my Uncle to use hunting with them and I shot my first elk, a 5x5 bull. That got me hooked on hunting.

My summer job through college was on a road survey crew with the US Forest Service in Steamboat Spgs, CO and my bosses had grown up deer and elk hunting in the Steamboat area. By the summer of 1967 I wanted to get my own hunting rifle so I asked my FS bosses what rifle I should get for deer and elk hunting.

They reommended a bolt action .270 Win or a .30-06. They said that only the dudes in Denver that came out into the mountains once a year shot .300 Winchester rifles. So I ordered a Herter's Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a semi-inleted walnut stock from them and put them together for my first centerfire rifle. That rifle kept my freezers full of deer, elk, antelope, moose, mountain goat, and caribou meat for the next 30+ years.

I have recently been thinking about this. I am more of an archery/shotgun hunter but I am thinking it might be nice to get a good rifle for predator hunting or possibly a rifle hunt in a western state.

My dad has a nice .270 that I am sure I could borrow, but there is something about having your own gun that keeps me thinking I should buy one. I think a .270 would be good, but I am not sure I want to buy my own when I know I'll eventually inherit dad's gun. So maybe I should get something else. But do I go with a .243 or a .223? In Illinois you can now use a limited number of rifles calibers in the firearm seasons, so maybe I should get one of those, although I am not a huge fan of the Illinois firearm seasons. Too many hunters in the field for my tastes.

Anyway, I might noodle on this question for a few more years. No rush.

LH Browning A-bolt in 30-06, bought when I was 16 with money from tying bugs and mowing lawns. Dad signed the paperwork before the words straw and purchase were a thing. Been a great rifle for deer, elk, pronghorn, coyotes, and one grouse. Hopefully I'll still be loving it in another 28 years.

A controversial subject to be sure, in my opinion, your hunting rifle is the most important decision you will make in hunting. Like marriage, to each their own. You'll want a caliber suitable to the game you intend to hunt. Gat help from a reputable gun dealer who knows how to help you sort through all the "bells and whistles" offered nowadays. As for me, I'm old school. My hunting rifle is the good old 30-06. This caliber will kill anything I can afford to hunt. I prefer a wood stock because its heavier and will help absorb the recoil. I bought a Remington, before Remington had their financial troubles, because it is one of the longest running, and best, gun companies available. Be prepared to spend the extra money on what could be a "life-long" love affair. Just like a bad marriage, if you settle on the wrong partner, it could cost you dealer in the long run.
A hunting rifle is a powerful tool that allows you to connect with nature and provides a unique experience. As your first hunting rifle, it's crucial to choose a model that suits your needs and skill level. A good option for a beginner would be a bolt-action rifle chambered in a popular hunting caliber, such as .30-06 Springfield or .308 Winchester. These cartridges offer excellent performance and are widely available. A bolt-action rifle is reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain. Brands like Remington, Ruger, and Savage offer affordable options that are perfect for a first-time hunter. It's essential to handle the rifle before purchasing it to ensure a comfortable fit and proper handling. Remember to practice with your rifle at a shooting range and become familiar with its operation, safety features, and maintenance requirements. Always follow local hunting laws and regulations, and ensure you have the proper licenses and permits before embarking on your hunting adventure. Happy hunting!

;)

I took all the bells and whistles off my rifle after I bought it. I assumed they were on there to let the grizzlies know I was coming but I found they were just too noisy out in the woods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back