Rifles - Opinions wanted

When I first saw this topic, I had some concerns, but I decided to wait and see where the conversation headed. Everything I could think of has been addressed.

Bottom line, I think we all trust you to “do the right thing” with OYOA.

A rifle is just a tool! There a dozens and dozens of tools which make "hunting", hunting. I don't even know why this is a question.

If you didn't have an optics sponsor and "Swaro" came and wanted to sponsor the show there wouldn't even be question of "Most guys use Cablea's or Nikon Morach ATBs or some other $300 optics....I don't think $1300 optics is true to the OYOA principle". There are a lot of guys who "can't afford" Sworovski optics that have it!

Is it selling out the concept of "OYOA" by shooting a Mathews Z7 instead of a 1998 Hoyt Raider Intruder(which i own)at 50 yards? Is it sacrificing "OYOA" because we can't afford Kenetrek($300+)instead of cheaper boots? Is it selling out "OYOA" by getting Sika Gear(which I did just buy, partially because of the show) even though there are much cheaper options?

My point is, Go for it....Any one of the above examples could kill your hunt as fast as a rifle that is 1/4" less MOA

I say why not take a custom sponsor.

I hope your sponsor is from Springville, PA and they offer coupons to everybody!

Like most here I am not into the long range hunting however who doesn't want to use the best equipment they can. The reality is custom guns and custom ammunition are hard to fault. I promise if, and/or when I draw a coveted sheep tag, I will take the best rifle I can afford with me.

It's odd (to me) people put rifles into a category as just another tool. I've held the belief for many years that a rifle is as much about the tradition of hunting as the taking of the game animal and going with family. It's become an integral part of most stories I tell about my hunt. I very seldom talk about a shoe or a backpack or the type of clothes I was wearing. However, the question is often asked about the rifle or bow etc while talking about a hunt. Rifles have become an heirloom (at least with my family) even if they are never used. Therefore my thought is this...if firearms are nothing more than just another tool to deliver a result, use anything you would like and take up the sponsorship. It doesn't sound like you have an attachment to a certain rifle. You are more into the sponsorship game and getting funding. As others have said, ultimately most people watching the show don't care what you use to shoot a deer with...they can't tell caliber, model or brand unless you make it a point to say something about it. Thus far, you haven't done that, other than this show sponsored by blah, blah, blah.

Besides being a tool, some look at a rifle as a possession. I am one of many who has rifles i haven't shot for ages but just like to own them. So i guess i can say the ones I hunt with are mostly a tool, but I do take some pride owning certain guns I may have did some customizing or fabricating myself.

Another thought to the "just a tool" process. If you end up being able to do a youth hunt, and it's a "first" for the youngster, whether big game, elk, or whatever, and the guardian of the hunter has a rifle with family history (Grandpa's rifle, all of my older children have used the same rifle for their first big game hunts, etc), how do you address that, provided of course that the firearm is appropriate for the job at hand? I'd want my son, if he was ever allowed such a hunt, to use the same rifle I taught my older children to hunt with,and add to the memories associated with my family hunting. Isn't one of the reasons many of us hunt to spend time with family, and pass on traditions?

I'll borrow or steal:D any of Fin's rifles for a hunt. I've got dibbs on that 270 Fin if you go all purest on me. I have a rifle that my grandfather was never able to kill an elk with. It was my first gun and I have a great connection with it. Kinda feel like I'm helping him vindicate himself through me on those tricky wapiti. Even though I love that gun and it holds an emotional aspect for me, when Fin handed me his gun to use on our mule deer hunt I didn't think any less of the hunt or of the weapon. Sometimes you do what you need to do to please sponsors within reason. He has way nicer scopes than I so I feel like I'm driving a caddy for a day.:D

Another thought to the "just a tool" process. If you end up being able to do a youth hunt, and it's a "first" for the youngster, whether big game, elk, or whatever, and the guardian of the hunter has a rifle with family history (Grandpa's rifle, all of my older children have used the same rifle for their first big game hunts, etc), how do you address that, provided of course that the firearm is appropriate for the job at hand? I'd want my son, if he was ever allowed such a hunt, to use the same rifle I taught my older children to hunt with,and add to the memories associated with my family hunting. Isn't one of the reasons many of us hunt to spend time with family, and pass on traditions?

First point would be whether or not an experience of that importance should be imposed upon by commercial filming, such as OYOA. I would probably decline such offer, just given how much of an imposition filming is to the experience, and how much I value the time spent hunting with young people. Might be best to have someone follow along with a little handheld and record it for family memories, and not even consider commercial filming.

Second would be the requirement I have to deal with. If it was a hunt that was to be conducted with Grandpa's favorite rifle, then they should use that, and not even be worried about having the hunt filmed. The intangible value of continuing the connection with Grandpa's rifle is far more than any value they could get from having us film the hunt.

Some of these "what ifs" make it sound as though people are begged to be filmed, and then expected to do something against their will. My first effort is to try talk everyone out of being filmed, as it is a big headache. If I can't scare them off, then we go to the next step and we talk about the time requirements; the first priority being producing TV being more important than killing the big buck; and the requirement that they use products of the companies who support this show and its unique concept.

Most often, the time commitments and filming commitments are more than what most people would want to deal with. Probably not much value in the "what if" scenarios that some have discussed here.

Hope to make a decision about a rifle company (or decide to not align with any rifle company) in the next couple months.

The intangible value of continuing the connection with Grandpa's rifle is far more than any value they could get from having us film the hunt.
Statements like that should be espoused by more show makers...
Hope to make a decision about a rifle company (or decide to not align with any rifle company) in the next couple months.
That news will be quite interesting. Willing to offer any hints? I'm hoping it's one of the OTC/common companies (Remrugavagechester) and not a more elite type (Blaser or a specific custom gun maker). Just think it would fit in with the theme of the show better. Though a brief snippet on setting up the rifle or small customizations would be cool.

Grab that sponsorship Randy! The more sponsors you can land, the longer you will be able to produce great hunting TV. I understand a little how much money this business costs and how hard it is to have a successful show. As long as the sponsor doesn't require you to overtly advertise how great the rifle is and make you spend a certain amount of time talking about their product, I can't see how it would be offensive.

When I draw my Montana sheep tag this fall, I'll be more than happy to use any rifle, scope, or any other gear that OYA uses in their filming. As long as the gear doesn't hold me back or isn't of inferior quality to what I own, I'd have no qualms about using it.
I would jump at the chance to have my once in a lifetime hunt videoed and edited by professionals. Not because I want to be famous or on TV but because to me good videography is like any other art. It helps me remember vividly the excitement, emotions, and highlights of the hunt long after it is over.
Several years ago my wife drew a ram tag and I was able to get some great footage of the hunt. It was some of the most dramatic and perfect video that I've ever been able to capture. I've watched segments of that hunt several hundred if not thousands of times and each time it brings back the joy and wonder that we experiences when she saw her trophy of a lifetime go down.

To me what I appreciate about OYA's concept is that it shows me what can be accomplished by the average Joe. OYA isn't about average results. Its about showing what average people can acccomplish with extraordinary effort. You are sponsored by several companies whose equipement I can afford and some whose equipement I choose not to make the financial sacrifice in order to buy their product. But I still appreciate the fact that the makers of equipment out of my finacial reach are willing to support a show that promotes an idea and ethic I believe in. It makes me keep thoses companies in the forefront of my mind as a company to buy from when I can afford more expensive equipement.

On another note. I had a booth this year at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA. The Federal Ammunition booth was in the same hall I was. I stopped by and told the Rep at the booth how much I appreciated them supporting OYA because OYA promotes the same hunting values I have. I've now forgotten the Reps name but it turns out he was the guy in charge of public relations and had some responsibilities in deciding where Federal spent their advertising dollars. He said he had not met you Randy, but had talked with you on the phone several times. Anyway to the point. He was very appreciative of the feedback, since it helped him to know that Federal was getting a positive reaction and was therefore spending its advertising dollars wisely.

Last edited:
Go with the custom gun.I like the show weather you have products I can afford or not.I also know what I can do with my products and if they dont do what I expect I get something differnent.I am interessted in seeing what happens.

Hells Bells! Nail down that sponsor before some of these guys scare them away. Some people are like a dog w/ an old sock, don't you know...

IMO the people on this site are dedicated hunters and we all use different equipment i persoanlly use the best I can afford at this time I wouldnt spend 1500 on a new rifle but am always interested to know what is out there and what to save for to uprade someday.
You have worked hard to get to where you are now and if they will stand by you I say it is worth a shot.

Randy, so far your ethics and morals got you this far,keep using your general beliefs and I think they will guide you in the rite direction!! I have developed a new type of release and i'm kinda going through the same situation,I'm not about to sell my soul to someone who can tell me how and where i can hunt!!

Use the rifle, then give the rifle away to someone on Hunttalk. Your happy, your sponsor's happy, and I'm, I mean someone on Hunttalk's will be happy. Win, win, win for everyone.

I’m almost certain to draw a coveted Nevada jackrabbit tag in 2013 or 2014. I would be willing to have it filmed for posterity, so you should start thinking of forwarding me a custom 30-378 with a 6.5 - 20 LR, and a few cases of ammo so I can practicing.

Fin, If the rifle is just a tool, then the use of that tool is the intangible that changes from hunter to hunter. A good craftsman has tools that are favorites, but can do his job with any tool that suits the purpose. Shooting an animal is just the mechanics of the hunt. The real test is in finding the animal to shoot. If you have a good rifle, that shoots where you point it, it is just a tool. Whether it's your favorite tool or not is a different story. A poor craftsman, on the other hand, couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a scoop shovel and it doesn't make any difference what tool he uses. He will most likely be more interested in who to blame when he misses. There is certainly nothing wrong with shooting a less expensive, production rifle if it shoots straight and is reliable. On the other hand, the most expensive custom rifle is little more than a pile of iron and wood if it doesn't shoot where you point it or it's not reliable. So choose the rifle you hunt with based on the technical and performance merits or the rifle, not by the tag that's on it. Every hunting show on TV has made the statement at one time or another, that you should buy the best optics or equipment you can afford. Whether this is strictly as a sales gimmic or there is merit to the statement, who knows. What is important is you should always use the most reliable equipment you can afford. So if you have a shot at a sponsor who builds high dollar custom jobs, go for it. Not everyone can afford a Sako or a Weatherby or a Leica or a Swarovski ...stop to think about it, not everyone can afford to go hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back