Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifles - Opinions wanted

Hey Schmalts,

So, who is OYOA show geared for F-class SHOOTERS or average HUNTERS?

Why gear a show for .001% of the F-class shooters that may also hunt? Theres already a ridiculous show called "best of the west" that covers that line of thinking.

AWhatever dude....

Get a grip, you comment put down anyone shooting over what you feel is too long, and it had nothing to do with OYOA. Regardless of what OYOA has to do with it your comments are opinionated

I'm in the opinion that if it's a product you believe in, take advantage of them wanting to sponsor the show.

P.S. Jose hasn't shown a pic of anything dead besides birds in years. I wouldn't take his comments very seriously.............:)

Schmalts,

I think you implied wayyyyyy too much in what I said...or perhaps you need hooked on phonics.

Show me where I put down anyone or their abilities, other than that crap show "best of the west", which is a true statement...it is pure crap.

BTW, what distance did I say was "too long"?

...and also...glad you're not opinionated or anything...jerkass.;)

Last edited:
No offense Fin, but it's humorous that you'd be worried about projecting a status of elitism on your show while it's particpants are decked out stem to stern with Sitka gear, carrying a MR pack while wearing Kenetrek boots. That's $1500-2000 worth of wearables that will need to be replaced several times over during the life expectancy of a rifle. It's not a jab, merely an observation that most of your viewing audience already doesn't have the means to outfit themselves as you're outfitted.

Companies have two seasons of shows to understand exactly what they are investing in, and if they want to spend their coin with you to support the OYO philosophy I can't see how anyone can complain.

What happens next year after you sweep the major Golden Moose categories and a big time ATV manufacturer comes knocking on your door? My guess is that will be more than a 3 page thread :D

What happens next year after you sweep the major Golden Moose categories and a big time ATV manufacturer comes knocking on your door? My guess is that will be more than a 3 page thread :D

What happens when this year, when we didn't sweep the Golden Moosies, ATV companies are knocking on my door? :D:D:D

I already know what I am doing on that one, so I will probably put it out for discussion, knowing full well what I intend to do. I own an ATV, and I use an ATV in many places where I could legally be driving my truck.

But we will start that thread separately in the next couple weeks. One topic at a time. And I suspect that topic will be more than three pages.

Back to rifles.

All of this is interesting for me to understand what viewers have as an impression of the show, based on what they see us using.

It confirms my original belief and the postion I hold with sponsors - that natural product integration is best. Regardless of what we are using, people are more receptive to us using it and not dwelling on it, than they are to having us use something and then spend minutes rambling on about how important it was, to the point of insulting the intelligence of our viewer.

That is the most valuable part of this discussion to me.

Whoever we end up with a rifle company, or any other product, needs to understand that the show is not changing due to their involvement. Natural and tasteful product integration is how we do it. We will continue with our formula of success and if someone doesn't like that, well.......they would have mistaken me for someone who cares.

I don't care what you hunt with as long as the hunt doesn't change because of sponsors.

And yes, "Best of the West" is just a 30 minute commercial on a rifle, scope and ammo. Tis crap.

Big Fin--thanks for the clarification---so I stick to my first opinion--use what you want as long as they(the rifle sponsor) aren't telling you how to hunt....that goes for all sponsors....

and if you go with a rifle sponsor then make sure their gun likes Federal ammo....

Using your logic I should be stretching shots just because I can and its a waste of my time and equipment because I'm not?

Buzz, you know as well as me that.. you can't make an amazing shot that you don't take!

I will save my amazing stalks to bow hunting and muzzle loaders. Until then, I find it "fun" to harvest an animal using skills that came from practice shooting. Yea, the last couple mule deer in MT with my new Sako tack driver were taken at a whopping 75 and 85 yards, but i would have not tried to get a whole lot closer once I got a point where I know I could kill them and had any chance at spooking them.

Im waffling....

Would you rather we use rifles under $1,500 even though the companies may have declined supporting the On Your Own hunter, OR .....

I don't care what the company supports etc when it comes to buying a product. If the product works to my expectations I'm going to buy it. I will not even care if they anti hunting, if their product is superior to the others than I'm going to use it. Example: Pantagonia.

Would you rather we use the rifles of a custom rifle maker who views the On Your Own hunter as a valuable part of his potential customer base and a great proving ground for the durability and quality of his product?

Same answer as above. I don't care what their views would be on a hunting show, sports show or anything regarding tv, politics, music etc....

Should the view of OYOA keep the products they sponsor within the reasonable budget of the average hunter?

I think that is what you are really trying to get at. I don't think theres a correct answer for that because.....

An OYOA hunter is going to use the best gear he can to help on his hunts. Almost every OYOA hunter will start off with a cheap rifle, a cheap scope binoculars etc. But over time a fair number of OYOA hunters will "upgrade". Best word I could think of, where's Noharley when you need him ;)?

When I read the title of this thread the first company to come to mind was the ones who produce the "green ammo boxes" hahahahhaha. Oh well.
agree
This is truly an interesting question...On one hand you have a company that wants to fund OYOA to keep the show moving forward, but yet it's product it out of reach for most people that do OYOA in my opinion.

Because I don't have the want to purchase a custom rifle nor do I ever think I need a custom rifle to kill any American big game animal I don't believe I will ever do so, but I honestly think you need to ask the question of yourself "Do I truly believe this custom $3500 rifle is any better than my $900 stock rifle and can I make my viewers believe I believe this?". Now this really does not matter to me because we all know you need the funding to keep the show going so to me personally I say take the money and tell your viewers what you want, I won't think any less of you.

The real problem is I can't even prove to myself the $3500 rifle is better than the stock one because it's not like I can just go into a store and test them out like I can do with a bow. I hate to tell you, I don't just take the word of people on TV about the products they use :) because we all know they are being paid whether they believe it's the best product or not.

I don't see any problem with taking sponsor money and using the product if you yourself believe in the product. I like to believe this show is about people doing the hunting on their own and not about the products, but maybe I'm just being stupid.
agree, I rock a rem 710 (300 in the box with case and bore mounted scope) and it kills everything I aim at.
The gun isn't the 'star' of the show. The concept of the on your own hunting and public hunting is what stands out with the show. As long as you don't have to do a cheesy 'Wayne's World' type segment showing all your sponsors or do the Ted Nugent half hour infomercial about every product you use, then I don't see where what sort of rifle being used is an issue. I think that if a reputable company wants to support the show, then go for it.
Id stop watching
Fin,

Another thing I forgot to ask. Just as an example, when I draw my Montana Bighorn permit this year, and assuming you would agree to film it...would I have to use a rifle that a sponsor provides?

Reason I ask is because there are likely only 2 rifles that I'd ever use to hunt a bighorn in Montana with and unless your sponsor is winchester, and they're fond of the model 70, then I'd bow out. Not that the rifles I would use are more accurate, are made of better materials, etc. but because the rifle I would use, would be a part of a very special hunt.

Some things just arent negotiable to me...that be one of them.
Id really like a straight answer to this.
Given the proposed scenario, I don't think we have to worry about the answer, but here it is. Once you sign a sponsor, they expect you to use their products. And, they have no tolerance for the products of their competitors.

The companies we work with put a premium on natural product integration, not the :30 second ads or the "in show promo." So, if they saw a competitors product being used, it would be a big deal.

And this is why they provide the product. They tell you what of their products they think is the best fit for the message of the show. You agree and sign, or disagree and continue working with others you think would fit. And when the time comes, all people in the show are using that product.

So any of you who might want to be filmed, best check out the sponsor list beforehand and decide if any of them put you over the edge. :p

Oops, I really want to film that hunt, come next October, and I just know you are going to draw, so I better get a proposal to them this week. Actually, they are much more of an ammo company, and given our relationship with Federal, probably would not waste the time to answer us.

Anyone else want to have their sheep hunt filmed. Buzz just crossed himself off that list. :D
If this was a serious reply, Just lost my support.
and if you go with a rifle sponsor then make sure their gun likes Federal ammo....
same thoughts here, what if your 3500$ custom rifle don't shoot federals for shit? My husqvarna 30-06 doesn't, so I shoot Rem 125 gr. You don't have that option.

what about Bow hunts? Would we see a reduced number of bow hunts?

What happens when this year, when we didn't sweep the Golden Moosies, ATV companies are knocking on my door? :D:D:D

I.

Something tells me Fin is getting a fatter azz:D
Also, what if you sign a custom gun maker will it cross off all Muzzle loader hunts for your show?

Last edited:
Mr Big,

I really doubt it matters much whichever way you go with the rifle sponsor decision.

And I really don't think that most of us here on this board are a statistical average sample of your TV audience. I would be cautious with any consensus that we all reached here; even if we were ever able to agree on anything.

The average viewer (not the average bubba that Buzz refers to) is not going to dwell on the moral or ethical implications of a long range shot any more than they are going to go out and buy a head to toe matching Sitka gear ensemble when they see how much it is.

I think you should have all the "sponsers" you can get....As long as OYO is calling the shots... don't see why you wouldn't.... If they want to "provide" a rifle for a filmed hunt... and the hunter agree's... Everyone is happy....If Buzz or someone wants their hunt filmed and won't use a "sponsers gear"... then thats his choice... you decide.. its your show

Schmalts,

The trick is knowing when to use your stalking skills and when to use your shooting skills...some are much better at deciding when each is called for than others...but "fun" plays no part in making that decision for me.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by Big Fin
Given the proposed scenario, I don't think we have to worry about the answer, but here it is. Once you sign a sponsor, they expect you to use their products. And, they have no tolerance for the products of their competitors.

The companies we work with put a premium on natural product integration, not the :30 second ads or the "in show promo." So, if they saw a competitors product being used, it would be a big deal.

And this is why they provide the product. They tell you what of their products they think is the best fit for the message of the show. You agree and sign, or disagree and continue working with others you think would fit. And when the time comes, all people in the show are using that product.

So any of you who might want to be filmed, best check out the sponsor list beforehand and decide if any of them put you over the edge.

Oops, I really want to film that hunt, come next October, and I just know you are going to draw, so I better get a proposal to them this week. Actually, they are much more of an ammo company, and given our relationship with Federal, probably would not waste the time to answer us.

Anyone else want to have their sheep hunt filmed. Buzz just crossed himself off that list.:D

same thoughts here, what if your 3500$ custom rifle don't shoot federals for shit? My husqvarna 30-06 doesn't, so I shoot Rem 125 gr. You don't have that option.

That was a serious reply. If our show is going to spend $40,000 to bring an episode to air, I am going to ask guest hunters that they use the product of partners we are working with. Doesn't mean the product the other hunter has is not worthy, or not up to par, and in some instances, may be much more expensive than what we would ask them to use.

I am accepting sponsorship from companies who believe in what we are doing and want to be a part of it. I am not willing to demonstrate and integrate product of their competitors, regardless of who is being filmed. If the hunter in question cannot accept that, then I will not film the episode. I will find a different episode with different hunters.

Though Buzz and I have good laughs about this stuff, if it was a sheep hunt and someone came to me asking it be filmed, before agreeing, one consideration would be whether or not the hunter would accomodate our request to use products of our partners. If not, I would say, "Thanks but no thanks." and not impose on their hunt and their wishes. They would not be filmed, they would use their chosen products, shoot a big ram, and be happy as hell. And I would be happy for them.

If a policy such as that would cause someone to decide they would not watch the show, I guess I would have to live with that, though I would hope otherwise.

We plan the number of bow hunts based on many issues. First is the fact that I am not that great of a bow hunter, so I don't feel that qualified to be any sort of expert on such. Not being a great bowhunter, I spend more time rifle hunting, so that is what we will see more of.

The business plan of the show was to have 2-4 bow hunts per year, given viewer preferences, the ability to get tags, and many other factors. Sponsors want to know the planned mix of weapon types. We have promised sponsors that we will have no more than 3 per year. So, you will see 3 of them next airing season.

As far as Schmalt's question about muzzy hunts, we will not do too many of those. Kind of like archery, I have only killed one buck and two does with muzzy equipment. We currently have no promises to sponsors about the number of muzzy hunts. But, if a sponsor asked us to do only one per year, or for that fact, none, I would probably accomodate that, given it was never a big part of the business plan.

As far as whether or not a rifle shoots Federal Ammo good or not, it will be shooting good with Federal Ammo, or that rifle will stay at home and will be replaced with one that shoots Federal Ammo well. I have enough rifles for replacements, and will make sure of such, when we sign our rifle sponsor. Fortunately for me, all my current rifles shoot Federal Ammo just fine.

Again, thanks for some great comments. Finding the greatest value of these comments to be that guys are not too concerned about who or what, so long as we don't turn it into some cheap advomercial. Roger that!

Fin,

I'm glad you clarified that my question, while somewhat serious...was also pretty far-fetched with a whole lot of humor thrown in.

I asked about an extreme case, and really not even a once-in-a-lifetime situation of having a MT ram permit in my pocket.

I guess I should have just asked if using the sponsors gear would be required for ALL hunts, or if they'd be willing to "wave" the requirement.

You answered that question straight up with a NO, the sponsors would require their products be used exclusively...and thats understandable and makes perfect sense.

I'm on board with the rest, that as long as it is not an infomercial for any specific product, and it doesnt change the way OYOA goes about its message and hunting, I'd let them be a sponsor. Makes nothing but sense to me.

Last edited:
Im waffling....
agree, I rock a rem 710 (300 in the box with case and bore mounted scope) and it kills everything I aim at.

Id stop watching

Note to Big Fin you can cross icb12 off your list of guys you might film. Since the rifle company that helps pay to bring the show to the air offends him to the point that he wouldn't watch the show.

He has no problem with all your other sponsors but draws the line at what shooting iron you pick. Interesting stuff, never imagined it was such an issue.

If it makes you feel better I will still watch, even though you never hunt waterfowl on your shows. :)

Maybe a good old OYO goose hunt over a garage sale decoy spread, home made layout blinds and shooting 870 wingmaster fixed choked shotguns would really bring in the ratings.

Nemont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back