Nwtf

MT_BWHTR

Hey folks, not sure if this is allowed on here, so I apologize if not. As I mentioned in my intro last week, I'm new to the forums, and will be getting into the mountains for the first time this fall hunting. I'm from KS originally, so I have a ton to learn, and that is why I got on HuntTalk. I now live in Helena, MT and am the Regional Director for the NWTF for MT and WY. I know there are a lot of folks on here from these states so if anyone is interested in attending our banquets, helping out on chapters, forming chapters, or just has any questions related to the NWTF, just let me know. If you don't know, the NWTF is focusing more on public access, recruiting new/lapsed hunters, and habitat abroad..... not just turkeys. Let me know if ya'll got any questions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduAWlzlG3c

Avid turkey hunter here. Have helped with banquets over the years. My experience with turkey hunting is that spring gobbler hunting is similar to hunting elk in the rut. You call to them. You listen. You move and set up for a potential shot. Might use a decoy. Can even ignore the wind and just hunt, ha ha. Unlike elk, no need to make four trips packing out the critter.

Likewise, fall turkey hunting is like hunting elk before the rut. You look for sign. Not much calling is useful. Often can pattern a flock or two of turkeys then set up waiting for them to pass close enough for a potential shot. And, again, no need for hiking out multiple times with a 100 pound pack.

Welcome aboard and am jealous you have so much great hunting and fishing opportunity in easy driving distance.

Welcome to HT from another NWTF member in MI. Our Banquet is a week from Saturday. I'm quite involved with out Battle Creek Chapter (Turkeyville Toms) and am looking forward to mentoring kids again like I do every year at a 2 day hunt we have at Fort Custer for them the end of April. We start with a BBQ Friday evening along with a session on calling, etc. and then take them to one of the ranges to make sure all their shotguns are sighted in. We also provide one of the barracks for them to stay in, as well as food on Saturday and again for Sunday morning breakfast before they head out for the Sunday morning hunt. Following that we have a bunch of our State of MI Legislators coming Sunday night for a hunt on Monday and it's always good to get with them and "get in their ear" on current topics! It's something I really look forward to after a long winter up here.

Greetings from Boise. Mr Koka just left my house. Longtime member, chapter pres., state board member here! Recruitment is our challenge in ID as well. If anybody has ideas on how to attract the younger crowd please share them.

Greetings from Boise. Mr Koka just left my house. Longtime member, chapter pres., state board member here! Recruitment is our challenge in ID as well. If anybody has ideas on how to attract the younger crowd please share them.

We get a ton of kids started in the Jakes Program by paying the $10 fee for their first year as a member of the NWTF. It's money well spent and the majority continue their membership once they see the group in action!

Top Gun,
We too do very well at our Jakes events......what we need are the "pro-staffer" to put forth some effort via committee involvement.

Welcome, I was just sitting next one of your predecessors (former NWTF RD Wyoming) at the guides meeting for our 30th annual Kansas One Shot Celebrity Governor's Turkey Hunt.

Best Wishes in your endeavors there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back