Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Beginner-Mountain Goat Hunting

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,

I have been on a few big game hunts in my life but never for mountain goats. I have always wanted to hunt them, but I have never ever applied for a tag for one of them. I have actually never even seen one in person before. The hunt itself seems like a once in a lifetime adventure and something that would love to do. I currently live in AR (so I am a non-resident to any state with mountain goats). I have done a little research on the way the draw works for goats in WY and MT, but mainly WY. I don’t currently have any points in MT or ID (the other state I am considering applying for a goat tag). I do have a few specific questions:

Which State has the best Odds for me (non-resident) to draw a mountain goat tag between- WY, MT, and ID?

Which State has the best goat hunting between-WY, MT, and ID?

And in that State which area is best?

I do realize that my chances of getting a mountain goat tag are pretty low in any state. But I know that if I never try then I will most certainly never get one. Please let me know what your thoughts regarding the questions above and your thoughts on mountain goat hunting in general for a beginner. And anyone who has gone mountain goat hunting and knows what it is like to try to draw for a tag year in and year out. I would love to hear your stories and see your pictures from your hunt if you don’t mind sharing. Any wisdom that you have learned from your hunt that may help me avoid some beginners mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated! All info, input, and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!!

Last edited:
Are you willing to go to Canada or Alaska? Those are your best odds. I asked the same questions a few years ago on here and the HTers told me what I'm telling you and they were right. I still do apply but buying a hunt is the only guarantee you go on one.

Are you willing to go to Canada or Alaska? Those are your best odds. I asked the same questions a few years ago on here and the HTers told me what I'm telling you and they were right. I still do apply but buying a hunt is the only guarantee you go on one.
Thank you for the info! Don't to get too personal but what is a ballpark number that I would have to pay for a goat hunt in AK or Canada?

Any where you can draw a tag is the best place for you to hunt. Dont read up on the draw or you will never bother.
Take a decent camera and carry your goats out in much easier fashion and hunt every year if you wish.
The country is the adventure the goats are just a reason to be there. But yes that is easier to say when you have a few on the wall already.82A7BF48-749C-44FD-BB76-B9A44CD8C3D7.jpeg

Any where you can draw a tag is the best place for you to hunt. Dont read up on the draw or you will never bother.
Take a decent camera and carry your goats out in much easier fashion and hunt every year if you wish.
The country is the adventure the goats are just a reason to be there. But yes that is easier to say when you have a few on the wall already.View attachment 312243
Where was that picture taken if you don't mind me asking? Thank you!

As a non resident your odds of drawing are poor and will continue to get worse in the years to come. Montana and Idaho populations are on the decline, Wyoming is growing. The weather, getting into goat country, and dealing with steep terrain are the hardest part of goat hunting. Go out in the summer, looking for goats, and see if it's something you really want to do first. I'll pm you with a few ideas, if interested.

20200914_120659.jpg

As a non resident your odds of drawing are poor and will continue to get worse in the years to come. Montana and Idaho populations are on the decline, Wyoming is growing. The weather, getting into goat country, and dealing with steep terrain are the hardest part of goat hunting. Go out in the summer, looking for goats, and see if it's something you really want to do first. I'll pm you with a few ideas, if interested.

View attachment 312247
Understood. Yes I am interested, please do so. Thank you!

View attachment 312247

@BigHornRam That is what I love about this forum. Not everyone just slams another HT'er for thinking about something or asking questions. This is true "friendship" and helping another out and encouraging. @RugerHawg413 may decide that he does not want to hunt goats, but you have given him some help and spent something valuable to all of us (TIME). Thanks @BigHornRam

I have been very lucky to draw MT twice and odds are not good to ever draw again. Throw $$$ at WY. Low odds, but no points.

I also went to Kodiak in '07 and had a great hunt with Brian Peterson.
At that time all his units were draw, but I got lucky the first time applying. You would have to work out an agreement with him before the draw.

When I went, the price was about 40% of what it is now, but deer was not included.

Go while you can still get up the mountain. They get steeper every year and the price won't be going down. Good luck.

I have been very lucky to draw MT twice and odds are not good to ever draw again. Throw $$$ at WY. Low odds, but no points.

I also went to Kodiak in '07 and had a great hunt with Brian Peterson.
At that time all his units were draw, but I got lucky the first time applying. You would have to work out an agreement with him before the draw.

When I went, the price was about 40% of what it is now, but deer was not included.

Go while you can still get up the mountain. They get steeper every year and the price won't be going down. Good luck.
Understood. Thank you for the info and wisdom!

The first thing I would recommend is to determine whether you really want to hunt goats within the next ten years or if you want a small chance to hunt goats within the next ten years.

If it’s option A then make a financial commitment to saving for an Alaska or Canada hunt.

If you’re happy with spending a several thousand dollars on the slim chance to draw a couple thousand dollar tag in the next ten years then apply for all states that
offer a nonresident tag.

I’ve had the great fortune to take two goats of my own as a resident of MT and accompany several other friends on their goat hunts. The country is amazing and goats are incredible animals. A goat hunt is probably my favorite hunt.

If I were starting over today and not a resident of a state that awards goat tags, I would definitely go to Alaska. I would probably go to Kodiak or one of the south east Alaska coastal hunts.

The first thing I would recommend is to determine whether you really want to hunt goats within the next ten years or if you want a small chance to hunt goats within the next ten years.

If it’s option A then make a financial commitment to saving for an Alaska or Canada hunt.

If you’re happy with spending a several thousand dollars on the slim chance to draw a couple thousand dollar tag in the next ten years then apply for all states that
offer a nonresident tag.

I’ve had the great fortune to take two goats of my own as a resident of MT and accompany several other friends on their goat hunts. The country is amazing and goats are incredible animals. A goat hunt is probably my favorite hunt.

If I were starting over today and not a resident of a state that awards goat tags, I would definitely go to Alaska. I would probably go to Kodiak or one of the south east Alaska coastal hunts.
Understood. Thank you for the info and wisdom. I will definitely give it some thought and decide what is best for me to do. Thank you again!

I asked pretty much this same question 13 years ago on this forum.

Then I was lucky enough to actually draw a Wyoming random tag in 2014 with about 2% draw odds at the time.

It truly was an adventure of a lifetime and I still think about it regularly. Easy to do when I see it on the wall every day.

As has already been mentioned, statistically you have no guarantee to ever draw a mountain goat tag in the lower 48. If you want to be 100% sure you will get to hunt a mountain goat you are going to have to win an auction tag or pay for an outfitted hunt in Alaska or Canada. Or move to Alaska. It's been 13 years of building points in Colorado for me and I'm still have under 5% odds on applying for a tag there but there is a chance!

With the new 10% nonresident limit in Wyoming those odds just got even harder.

It is a very neat hunt and you never know, lightning might strike for you like it did for me drawing a 2% draw odds tag just 3 years after posting about trying to draw. If you don't apply you for sure won't draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back