Himalayan Tahr in New Mexico

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I have heard about some Himalayan Tahr being in New Mexico and that they are considered a "non-game species" so that all I need is a "small game" license to hunt them. I have also heard that they are on "Mount Taylor" and/or Unit 9. After doing some research on them it seems like a very fun/interesting hunt. I live in AR so unfortnately for me I can't just drive over for a weekend. I had a few questions, I don't know if anyone will really know.

Best Time Of Year to Hunt Tahr?
Best Areas/Units to find them?
How Many are estimated to be in New Mexico?

If anyone has any other info about them please share. Also, if anyone has hunted and/or killed one please share your hunting story and any advice you could give would be great. Thank you for any and all info!

Hello,
I have heard about some Himalayan Tahr being in New Mexico and that they are considered a "non-game species" so that all I need is a "small game" license to hunt them. I have also heard that they are on "Mount Taylor" and/or Unit 9. After doing some research on them it seems like a very fun/interesting hunt. I live in AR so unfortnately for me I can't just drive over for a weekend. I had a few questions, I don't know if anyone will really know.

Best Time Of Year to Hunt Tahr?
Best Areas/Units to find them?
How Many are estimated to be in New Mexico?

If anyone has any other info about them please share. Also, if anyone has hunted and/or killed one please share your hunting story and any advice you could give would be great. Thank you for any and all info!
Got a better chance of someone giving you their ss and credit card numbers than any credible info on that subject

I talked to a GW down there. have been interested in going to NM. he was nice guy to chat with. He said there's very few left and that they are close to impossible to get. But he said there's a couple very avid people who chase them every year with very little to no success. He also said they are mainly on private.

You could try New Zealnd. We have thousands.
Iv been looking into this. I'm on the fence if we would need a guide. My father-in-law would like to come I brought it up about a month ago, and it happened to be a dream hunt of his. So we are looking into it. He said would prefer to fly in he's 64 and in great shape. But he also knows he has limits at his age and just feels it's his best option.

If you’re capable of hunting mountains in the USA you don’t need a guide. Just contact a helicopter operator and they will drop you off in a location with tahr.

But if you want a guaranteed very easy decent tahr (12inches plus) you might want a guide on private land.

If you’re capable of hunting mountains in the USA you don’t need a guide. Just contact a helicopter operator and they will drop you off in a location with tahr.

But if you want a guaranteed very easy decent tahr (12inches plus) you might want a guide on private land.
Appreciate that kiwi

I'm not sure I'm recalling this correctly, but years ago there was a thread on Monster Mulies where a guy shot one and posted pictures. The supposed background is one of the local Indian tribes had transplanted some Tahr into a high fenced "game park" and some escaped. Anyway, from the pictures at least one person accused the guy of actually being inside the game park when he shot the Tahr. Big argument began and I think the post was removed. But you could search that site for any tidbits of info, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything useful. I also think your chances of finding Tahr are about as good as finding bigfoot.

They poison them and shoot them from helicopters in New Zealand there are so many...and, it's an amazing hunt. Go there.

If someone has cracked the code on these in NM, they aren't dumb enough to put it here on HT.

...but if someone reading this does have info on tahr in NM, feel free to pm me your honey holes.

I’ve been a good deal over Mount Taylor from Grants on up and on the Cabezon side too. Never seen any tahr. Even the Laguna Pueblo which is said to hold some is only selling one OTC non-tribal tahr this year. I’d say there’s a far greater chance of success hunting Texas petting zoos. Or for the same price, unlimited in NZ.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back