Caribou Gear Tarp

NM ram

zia

here is a ram we found yesterday while packing salt to the bighorn herd in the Pecos. Skeleton was intact, still a bit of smell and some beetles so he didn't die that long ago. Packed him out and turned him over to NM game and Fish. What do you think he scores? I am going to post it on a few sites and see what people think but this is a really nice ram for the Pecos.

Last edited:
Well, at least you have the pictures. I love the dark color near the bases. I'm no judge of sheep, but he sure looks like a bruiser to me. I'd be curious to hear how he scores, especially in relation to other rams that have been taken from that area.

wow, great ram! Does NM require you turn in the find?

Not sure I am looking at it right but he looks like 10-11 yrs old. Hopefully one of our resident sheep experts will chime in. Mine is a pure guess but I would think he is north of 180.

Last edited:
My cousin was fortunate enough to draw a Oryx tag one year. While hunting we found a 12" Oryx horn and threw it into the back of the truck. A Game warden stopped us while on the White Sands range and confiscated the horn. He was nice about it, however, informed us that is was illegal to posses a horn or antler in New Mexico.

good luck to all
the dog

The skull is the property of the state so they can sell it and use the money for conservation projects, remount and display it or whatever they decide. I am proud the state has sheep this nice because it is the result of hard work by a bunch of fine people in the game department using our (hunters) money for conservation.

Last edited:
Sad but good find Mike.

Don't know how to score Sheep so I'll be conservative.....Well over 170 is my guess

My buddy leaves tomorrow morning to head up there and try and kill a monster like that.

My cousin was fortunate enough to draw a Oryx tag one year. While hunting we found a 12" Oryx horn and threw it into the back of the truck. A Game warden stopped us while on the White Sands range and confiscated the horn. He was nice about it, however, informed us that is was illegal to posses a horn or antler in New Mexico.

good luck to all
the dog

It is legal to possess shed antlers from Deer and Elk. It is illegal to have horns, skulls or antlers attached to skulls.

I talked to your friend Chad this morning and gave him my report, sounds like a real nice guy and I hope he shoots a dandy! He said he was leaving at 4:00 tomorrow morning, bet he doesn't sleep much tonight anyway.

I talked to your friend Chad this morning and gave him my report, sounds like a real nice guy and I hope he shoots a dandy! He said he was leaving at 4:00 tomorrow morning, bet he doesn't sleep much tonight anyway.

Yeah excited is an understatement. The rain up there and an ankle injury kept his 2nd scout trip from happening...you would have thought the guy had to turn his tag back in for not going.

I think he'll be fine. He is gonna try to stick a big one with his bow.

I know he appreciates your help.

It is legal to possess shed antlers from Deer and Elk. It is illegal to have horns, skulls or antlers attached to skulls.

DT: You are exactly correct and I was wrong. The reason he confiscated the Oryx horn was because part of the skull was still attached. Thanks for correcting me.

good luck to all
the dog

I support states that restrict picking up deadheads. More than one low life poaches a big critter then leaves the head hid away until "stumbles" onto the deadhead when is 100% legal to keep. Screw poachers.

Yes, it's a neat find for sure, wish I could draw the tag and shoot one for real (with a gun or a bow, I have shot a few with a dart gun) Tough job though....here is my office and a few of my co-workers. Some of them can be a real "ass'.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back