Do you get tired?

Not tired of hunting, just tired. I had hunted waterfowl for better than 50 years. At the beginning of season 2017 I made a decision to stop. I have taken my share. Went on to giving ALL of my decoys, layout blinds, calls and more to youngsters that didn’t have the funds to get started. I didn’t need the money. This has made me proud to help the next generation of waterfowlers. Next, big game hunting. I have been able to hunt five countries on three continent. My home abounds with trophies. This season my wife has undergone many health issues. My desire to hunt has waned incredibly. I haven’t the desire to hunt as much as my want to be with her. I haven’t taken a deer this season. This is just fine as it’s not a priority. My priority lies within my home. I will continue to hunt upland birds on a smaller scale. Not traveling far from home. My ten year old lab, Belle, looks at me wantingly to hunt. She doesn’t understand. I DO! My firearms are becoming safe queens. I look back upon my hunting career fondly. To those who understand this I say enjoy your memories. To those upcoming hunters/adventurers I urge you to go for it.
Below is a picture of my angel. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Not tired of hunting, just tired. I had hunted waterfowl for better than 50 years. At the beginning of season 2017 I made a decision to stop. I have taken my share. Went on to giving ALL of my decoys, layout blinds, calls and more to youngsters that didn’t have the funds to get started. I didn’t need the money. This has made me proud to help the next generation of waterfowlers. Next, big game hunting. I have been able to hunt five countries on three continent. My home abounds with trophies. This season my wife has undergone many health issues. My desire to hunt has waned incredibly. I haven’t the desire to hunt as much as my want to be with her. I haven’t taken a deer this season. This is just fine as it’s not a priority. My priority lies within my home. I will continue to hunt upland birds on a smaller scale. Not traveling far from home. My ten year old lab, Belle, looks at me wantingly to hunt. She doesn’t understand. I DO! My firearms are becoming safe queens. I look back upon my hunting career fondly. To those who understand this I say enjoy your memories. To those upcoming hunters/adventurers I urge you to go for it. MTG
I think this is where I am. My hunting got cut down to "not much" when my wife came home. We made deer season work and I got lucky to bring 2 home last year. This year I lost my place to hunt and was mad at first and depressed, but now I'm feeling like I'm just over it. My body hurts, I have a lot to do here taking care of things, I just don't really care too much about going anywhere. I might unload a few guns and use the money elsewhere. Not sure if I will look into a new place to hunt or not. Doubt it, it needs to be handy for me and there isn't much available. Doves around here are scattered, not interested in waterfowl, no pheasants. I might pop a rabbit or two but that's about it. But I'm OK with it. I've been pretty lucky to hunt and kill what and where I have. I've met some great people and made new friends doing so. Wouldn't trade that for anything.

Not tired of hunting, just tired. I had hunted waterfowl for better than 50 years. At the beginning of season 2017 I made a decision to stop. I have taken my share. Went on to giving ALL of my decoys, layout blinds, calls and more to youngsters that didn’t have the funds to get started. I didn’t need the money. This has made me proud to help the next generation of waterfowlers. Next, big game hunting. I have been able to hunt five countries on three continent. My home abounds with trophies. This season my wife has undergone many health issues. My desire to hunt has waned incredibly. I haven’t the desire to hunt as much as my want to be with her. I haven’t taken a deer this season. This is just fine as it’s not a priority. My priority lies within my home. I will continue to hunt upland birds on a smaller scale. Not traveling far from home. My ten year old lab, Belle, looks at me wantingly to hunt. She doesn’t understand. I DO! My firearms are becoming safe queens. I look back upon my hunting career fondly. To those who understand this I say enjoy your memories. To those upcoming hunters/adventurers I urge you to go for it.
Below is a picture of my angel. MTG
Thanks for sharing that.

As much as I hunt, and as fulfilling as hunting is for me, it will never come as a higher priority than the needs of my family. Mrs. Fin knows that and I think it gives her a higher tolerance for my extended absences.

I'm 62, and have hunted and killed enough. I've got the physical energy and conditioning for it, I just don't have the desire for it. I hunted in 2021 and killed a nice old mountain bull. That was a super gratifying hunt, and it felt appropriate at age 60 to take a bull that wouldn't have made it through the winter. I didn't hunt last year at all. This year, I backpacked in the night before the opener, and had a great time taking my rifle for a walk opening day. The weather was gorgeous and it was great to have a night alone in a tent. I could have hunted more, but my job tends to suck a lot of desire for hunting out of me (self employed). I "might" hunt some when I retire, or I might not. But otherwise I'll continue to backpack, dayhike, x-country ski, snowshoe, dink around with rifles, travel, and whatever else comes along. I love to hang out here and absorb the joy hunting still gives guys, and I'm happy to live vicariously through others experiences; I just don't need to be the guy pulling the trigger.

Happy Thanksgiving all...

I had about lost interest in deer hunting until I had kids old enough to go. Fire re-lit with the excitement of them shooting. If I get grandkids before I go I imagine I'll be good to go.

One aspect that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the physical fitness aspect.
I will be 67 in April and I believe that my physical fitness would not be what it is today without passion for hunting.

As a youngster, I don't think I would hump up the hills every morning in June-July with a 60-lb pack without my passion
for big game hunting which started in August in Alaska.

Even now, I hike every other day during the off-season in order to have the endurance to hunt upland birds and then
put in the fun miles every weekday during the hunting season.

I never stop because of it, but boy do I ever get tired of it some years. I’ve got 4 straight uninterrupted months of deer season every year and by the time January 31st rolls around I’m always worn to a nub.
Every spare minute I can squeak out I’m in the woods, my thoughts are in the woods even when I’m not, I stay frustrated when I’m wanting/needing to be in the woods and can’t be because of work and family obligations and very very often I just end up frustrated with the lack of dividends from the time and effort I’ve put in. I want to be as care free about my approach to hunting as many people I know who can just take it or leave it at will, but I’m firmly into the zealot category and turn it into work. My brother is the same way and we’ve both discussed how much more enjoyable our lives could be if we could learn to dial it back a notch.
Years like this one where I’m going weeks at a time without even seeing a deer are especially tiring. The worse it gets, the harder I go trying to compensate for bad conditions. It’s a vicious cycle.

In many of my dreams I’m hunting. The fire is there except sometimes when I’m depressed and don’t want to do anything I normally enjoy. It’s crazy to think I only have about half of my hunting career left. There’s so much I still want to do, so many places I want to go. I have to pick a few and leave all the rest.

I’ve averaged about 60 days afield over the last five years, and I could easily do more if I had the time. My kids are starting to get more involved now, adding a layer of joy and fulfillment.

I continue to have the night-before-Christmas feeling before hunting seasons start, when I spot game, and when trying something new. Just this year I dived back into duck hunting, got more into squirrels, scouted new rabbit spots, and started handgun hunting - still have lots to learn there.

I’m becoming more averse to hunting pressure as I get older. This is probably my first hunting season in over a decade where I have not specifically targeted either pheasants or doves, as they get pounded hard where I live.

My drive to hunt has definitely changed a lot as have my priorities while hunting. My freezers are plumb full at the moment so lying here in bed when it’s 11 degrees and blowing feels pretty good…

I do most of my hunting now watching my kids tip things over, which I believe is even more enjoyable than myself doing so. If not for them, a lot of the time I just as soon stay home and take care of chores….

I haven't experienced much problems with idiots in the field. Avoiding openers helps IMMENSELY. Still have good legs and heart so I can get away from the road hunters sitting on their fat asses in SxSs. And I hunt exclusively public land ... on this side of the pond anyway (in South Africa there is no public land hunting). Pheasant hunting has become hard work but I'm okay with that. I avoid NE Montana because that's become the thing to do for pheasant hunters. Too many of the aficionado types sucking on cigars and swilling expensive bourbon. I accidentally walked into a Pheasants Are Forever poker fest at a Hi Line bar a few years back. Not my crowd! I hunt birds on a couple of public places and can still see fifty pheasants a day but lucky if I can even get shots at three roosters. It takes a LOT of hiking. My dogs are not able to take it this year. Rooster killer Lab Ellie will have ACL surgery Tuesday in Great Falls. Twelve year-old Fr Britt is giving it hell like she's half that age but showing signs of lameness in front end. Little gal is living on borrowed time after cancer surgery in January. Three days ago I shot a big muley buck after two days hunting. That's a half a day more hunting than my average to tag out. This one was about four miles from the Jimmy. He came out on a friend's SxS. Two years ago I dragged a buck out of there but only a mile or so in snow. At seventy-one I'm still able to hunt like I'm half that age. God gave it to me so I better use it. I'm not quitting.

I don't know if I would call it tired but I got altitude sickness for the first time this year. I came down the mountain for a few days while my hunting partners were into some elk. They finished the hunt pretty early and I didn't mind coming home when they were done. Tagged out on deer within the first few days of the deer season and not really minding it. Still take my grandson to sit in the blind when he wants to and find myself dreading having to help him clean a deer, even thought about taking one to the processor. Don't now if I'm hunted out or getting lazy. Looking forward to TAC and a few other events this spring though.

I don't know if I would say I ever got tired of hunting, but I have never felt the need to hunt until the last second of the season nor any worries about leaving a tag unfilled. I hunt for the fun of hunting so if some other activity seems like it would be more fun, or worthwhile, at the time, I'll go do that instead.

I took a friend pheasant hunting for his first time one year. He loved it and went hunting every single day of the season after that. Even if it was only for a half hour after work. On the last day of the season, we were hunting together, and I mentioned that I was a little sad the season was ending. He told me he wasn't sad at all because it was wearing him out. All I could think of was, there isn't any law that said had to hunt every stinkin' day.

I am tired.

Already had a lot going on this year then an injury in early summer that messed up most of my plans. Then some family things that took up a ton of time in Aug/Sept. I did manage to get out elk hunting 4 days and deer hunting about 7 days. Got extremely lucky with a mountain lion coming out and shooting it while deer hunting. I know tons of people want to shoot a mountain lion but is bad that I would have preferred an average 4x4 whitetail to come out instead? Probably could have squeezed in some mornings/evenings the past few days but have done other things. I'll get out tomorrow and another day or two later in the week.

I'm tired. Was going to go out today one last time but my body is telling me to chill. We hauled a bear out four days ago. I was out yesterday alone and banged out a few more miles. I did a rough calculation and I think I walked nearly 180 miles, and about 30K feet of that was up (I got it a bunch) this season. Helped to haul out an antelope, two elk, a whitetail buck, a muley buck, three whitetail does and a bear. We do not road hunt. Shortest haul was just under a mile but I will tell you those ascents and descents sucked. I've lost God knows how many pounds. I can't eat enough food. And my legs are just pissed at me. I'm not twenty years old, I'm 57. I look forward to trying to do it again next year though. I definitely have to focus a bit more on training during the off season though. It's just going to get harder and harder to keep up with the kids as the years pass 😁

I love to hunt and the lifestyle of deer hunting. I’m not the least bit embarrassed to admit that come February I’m ready for hunting season to end and to start fishing in the salt. We have a long season (Nov-Feb) in Alabama with liberal limits and prep in the woods starts in October. In addition I hunt in Ohio as well.
But with in two months I’m ready to get back at it. Its a long summer. Fishing does occupy my time. But is really a distraction from wanting to hunt.

I’m too new to be hunted out, but I pretty much only really focus on spring turkey and deer season in October, so plenty of dwell time in between to keep the drive alive.

I’m looking forward to some casual duck hunting throughout the winter, and I’ve got my bear tag to fill yet, too. Through in shred hunting, and that oughta hold me over until mid April.

It's a tired I'm willing to endure. I can understand that by the end of a long season you are worn down. It happens but I'm good to go by the time the next one rolls around.

Never expected so many responses.

I find myself wanting to hunt more (of course, grounded since shoulder injury in May, surgery on 11/8), so the "tired" for me is related to all the things in surrounding life. At 65, retirement is around the corner, but I cannot allow myself to think that when I am suddenly free of the work world that I will be less tired. I'm having to concentrate on finding the joy in life to combat that tired feeling, because I don't think I can just hunt and fish the tired away.

David
NM

I took this season off but more out of recuperating from a medical condition from the summer and treatments through the fall. But I didn't miss going out oddly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back