PEAX Equipment

NM Elk Hunting. 16E

Can't offer much but I'm sure looking forward to the recap.
Sorry i missed this until the thread got resurrected. I ended up taking a cow my first morning out after spiking out the afternoon before. I actually spiked right on top of the herd and they kept me up all night. Easy to locate and move in on in the morning.

Sorry i missed this until the thread got resurrected. I ended up taking a cow my first morning out after spiking out the afternoon before. I actually spiked right on top of the herd and they kept me up all night. Easy to locate and move in on in the morning.
How far did you spike in? Assuming you went into divide wilderness?

I suggest you always try to scout, at least e-scout, and have some sort of plan and back-up plans.
Yeah, I'm living in Socorro going to college so I am already planning scouting trips. I'm hoping to go pretty soon and put some cams up / maybe find a shed or 2. If all goes well I should have like 4+ weekends. Just trying to decide if I should try and focus on backpacking into the wilderness or focus on a couple areas with easier access.

Yeah, I'm living in Socorro going to college so I am already planning scouting trips. I'm hoping to go pretty soon and put some cams up / maybe find a shed or 2. If all goes well I should have like 4+ weekends. Just trying to decide if I should try and focus on backpacking into the wilderness or focus on a couple areas with easier access.
Plenty of room to get away from people without having to go to great lengths. Most hunters are pretty lazy.

Heading out to 16E for first archery hunt. Better to take 4 wheelers or my llamas? Its my son's first elk archery hunt, also his first Bull hunt. This was my first bull he helped me with last year. in unit 36 - late rifle. Also my farthest shot on an animal. This will be our first hunt without his older brother. Lost one son when he sacrificed himself for his brother. Went ahead and taking the full 2 weeks off - Never did that long of a hunt before, but the time with them is so precious. This will be a special but likely painful trip without him. IMG_2768.jpgIMG_2774.jpgScreenshot 2023-06-22 at 8.04.11 PM.jpg

Heading out to 16E for first archery hunt. Better to take 4 wheelers or my llamas? Its my son's first elk archery hunt, also his first Bull hunt. This was my first bull he helped me with last year. in unit 36 - late rifle. Also my farthest shot on an animal. This will be our first hunt without his older brother. Lost one son when he sacrificed himself for his brother. Went ahead and taking the full 2 weeks off - Never did that long of a hunt before, but the time with them is so precious. This will be a special but likely painful trip without him. View attachment 281702View attachment 281709View attachment 281708
16e is a rough unit. Sxs Is good for luera but all the other places are walking areas and if u ride the lamas they would be better. I had 2nd archery years ago and was pinned down about 60yds from the bull I wanted but couldn't move. My son got him 2 weeks later on the youth hunt there. Terrain varies there from open rolling hills to forest.

Going out for scouting trip first week of August. Our second visit. Anyone know if they are getting moisture?

If there's access u can. Landowners don't have to open gates til 14 days before Antelope season might be open

If there's access u can. Landowners don't have to open gates til 14 days before Antelope season might be open
You can only enter state trust land for hunting during the season for which the license applies plus a 14 day scouting period prior to that season. You can only take an unprotected species (coyotes, prairie dogs, feral hogs) subsequent to your ongoing hunt. There is no license for unprotected species, so they are not covered by the current easement with the Department of Game and Fish. You cannot enter state trust land only to hunt unprotected species.

From the land office website

You can only enter state trust land for hunting during the season for which the license applies plus a 14 day scouting period prior to that season. You can only take an unprotected species (coyotes, prairie dogs, feral hogs) subsequent to your ongoing hunt. There is no license for unprotected species, so they are not covered by the current easement with the Department of Game and Fish. You cannot enter state trust land only to hunt unprotected species.

From the land office website
So your saying I can't enter luera to scout thru my buddies land out there?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back