NM Unit 50 Late season Cow hunt

scorpio75

Been reading some posts on NM Unit 50 for all hunts. Different opinions on hunting this area. I normally hunt Colorado with a couple guys and have been doing so for the last 20 years. This year a different friend wants to go but is limited on time. So, we have been looking into NM. I have researched draw odds, number of licenses per unit etc etc. My friend is all about statistics, percentages and so on. Our plan is to apply for the draw and mixing our 1st 2nd third choices. Hopefully get drawn for one of those. Our back up plan is LO vouchers for antlerless in the late season. Percentage wise that looks to be unit 50. Question I have is if anyone has hunted late season antlerless in that area and can one safely assume the percentages are somewhat accurate? Send me a PM if you don't want to answer here.
Thanks

Been reading some posts on NM Unit 50 for all hunts. Different opinions on hunting this area. I normally hunt Colorado with a couple guys and have been doing so for the last 20 years. This year a different friend wants to go but is limited on time. So, we have been looking into NM. I have researched draw odds, number of licenses per unit etc etc. My friend is all about statistics, percentages and so on. Our plan is to apply for the draw and mixing our 1st 2nd third choices. Hopefully get drawn for one of those. Our back up plan is LO vouchers for antlerless in the late season. Percentage wise that looks to be unit 50. Question I have is if anyone has hunted late season antlerless in that area and can one safely assume the percentages are somewhat accurate? Send me a PM if you don't want to answer here.
Thanks
I think you can assume the reported percentages are accurate. I havent hunted 50 but I have hunted near there for elk several years. The benefit of the LO elk tag is that they can be used any 5 consecutive days during the season. That might provide some needed flexibility for the schedule assuming you don't draw.

Yessir been reading that. Not afraid to get off the beaten path and do some ruckin to get to them.
Not really too much rucking to be done in the unit. It's flat BLM/FS land which is heavily traversed by roads authorized and unauthorized, and several mountains/hills in the north of the unit which all have good road access. Cool area, but hard to really get away from ATVs or Jeeps

Not really too much rucking to be done in the unit. It's flat BLM/FS land which is heavily traversed by roads authorized and unauthorized, and several mountains/hills in the north of the unit which all have good road access. Cool area, but hard to really get away from ATVs or Jeeps

hi thanks for your input. Yessir been reading some folks tend to take vehicles where they can and shouldn't. I too will have an ATV put only intend to take it and park it then do some hiking to other not so easily reached places. Looking at the maps it doesn't seem like there's a drastic elevation change throughout the area. But my hopes are to find a place and let everyone else push them my way.

"Yessir been reading some folks tend to take vehicles where they can and shouldn't."

That level of understatement is almost English humor. ATVs are stinking everywhere if the ground is near to flat, like 50.

A good friend worked his butt off in 50 - one heck of a good hunter, went to extremes most will not. His wife ended up with a 5x5. But his strategy is far from typical, most likely what it takes to be successful in 50....but he ain't going back. And based on his description, I ain't going.

David
NM

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back