Moving to Reserve NM, any advice?

mdeerjunkie

Ill be moving down to Reserve NM next month for work. I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with the area such as culture and environment. Wondering what other hunting opportunities there are besides elk and deer. I know its in the heart of the Gila, but drawing elk tags in that area isn't really easy. Excited to get to explore the area and see some of those big elk though.

I know Reserve fairly well. What will you be doing there? Housing can be challenging. Definitely gets a bit colder on the side of the Gila than the south end. It's where I go in the summer to cool down on the hot weekends. Hunting opportunities besides elk and deer would be turkey. I have not quail hunted up there but there might be a few around.

New Mexico is special, or at least was when I was there. Spent a lot of time backpacking in the Gila; you could spend a lifetime. Best memory is a bunch of wild turkeys marching single file across a ridge 20 yards away from my tent. Black Widow recurve at full draw. No tag.

Enjoy the cuisine, learn chiles. Visit ancient churches. Tune into the spirituality of New Mexico. Go to Santa Fe, see Georgia O'Keefe's paintings, the Loretto Chapel.

Read Willa Cather, particularly, Death Comes for the Archbishop. And, Querencia, by Stephen Bodio.

And there's great trout fishing in the small streams. Get a nice 3-4 wt rod, a few Adams in 14-18, a few small pheasant tails, pack some rice, cheese, dried fruit, and to heck with freeze-dried crap.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I know Reserve fairly well. What will you be doing there? Housing can be challenging. Definitely gets a bit colder on the side of the Gila than the south end. It's where I go in the summer to cool down on the hot weekends. Hunting opportunities besides elk and deer would be turkey. I have not quail hunted up there but there might be a few around.
I’ll be working for the forest service on a shot crew, and housing is provided, that was one of my biggest concerns.

I work for the Gila as well. You'll spend quite a bit of time up at Negrito base by the T Bar grasslands. That's one of my favorites places on the forest.

I had to dig my way out this morning. I'm at the pie shop and Danny is taking his tractor over and try and get the drift out of the drifts.
I had a road grader in Wed. to clear the road and it blew back into the road yesterday.
Ordering new chains for the Tacoma today. At least it works great again. All new underneath.

I had to dig my way out this morning. I'm at the pie shop and Danny is taking his tractor over and try and get the drift out of the drifts.
I had a road grader in Wed. to clear the road and it blew back into the road yesterday.
Ordering new chains for the Tacoma today. At least it works great again. All new underneath.
Glad to see you're still kicking!

Trying to get a sat. phone.
Who knows when my starlink order will get here. 1st order took a year.............elon is a ......
Glad to see you're still kicking!
Gotta be tough to stay alive these days.

Most snow in years. Powder that just blows around and builds. They had to use loaders to get it off the county road.

Trying to get a sat. phone.
Who knows when my starlink order will get here. 1st order took a year.............elon is a ......

Gotta be tough to stay alive these days.

Most snow in years. Powder that just blows around and builds. They had to use loaders to get it off the county road.
Good to hear that you’re getting some moisture. Hovering just above 50% of normal for us.

I want to say the last major devastating fire on the state line was 2011 so fuels may have come back strong enough to keep you busy right off the home base. Though you could also be mostly outside of NM April-November too, right? And not forestry at all, but the VLA blows my freaking mind every time I see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back