New to this

CapWolf

I have only posted a few times but never in the Deer section, so ill do a little intro.

Live and hunt in NM. Just moved for a dream job to southern NM close to Texas. Been hunting casually all my life but in the last few years have really become addicted.
But... i got an issue. I want to hunt in Texas but i don't know anyone who owns land! how does one hunt Texas when there is no public land? I desperately want to get some whitetails in the freezer. any advice or ideas please let me know. Thanks

Is traveling to other states out of the question? Like Kansas or Oklahoma?

Traveling to other states with public land would probably be easiest. I'm not really sure how hunting leases work but do know that Texas has alot of them. Maybe since you are close to Texas you could find someone that lives farther away that has a lease and keep their feeders full in exchange for letting you take a few does.

Az. is right next door.Biggest Elk and Biggest Muleys anywhere.Just not going to tell you where.:cool:

The thing about Texas is i get all my tags free, i could travel but, its just cost prohibited.

I will just have to ask everyone i run into to see if they will let me shoot some does or small bucks

I grew up in AZ have done most of my hunting in AZ. In fact i have 15 Elk points. Waiting for the perfect moment to cash those things in. Early season rifle.

Thanks for reaching out. I have found this forum is a lot more friendly than some others. I guess ill just have to keep asking everyone till i find that one place.

Asking around is the cheapest way but the easiest way is to join a deer lease. Everyone I know who hunts in Texas has a lease. Be ready for sticker shock. I spend less on my yearly New Mexico trip than I do on my whitetail lease.

It's cheaper for me to hunt mule deer in UT than it is to hunt whitetail in my home state. Leases are becoming more and more prevalent, and are outrageously expensive. Either get ready to pony up, or plan on doing a lot of asking around/door knocking. I would think your best luck is to find some small towns off the beaten path, and ask around at the local feed store, tractor repair shops, and any coffee shop where old men hang out haha. Good luck!

Where did you grow up in Az?Been here 50yrs - military time...dirtclod Az. (15 Elk pts,you are the Elk God!)

dirtclod- I grew up in Elmirage. joined the Military and still work for uncle sam, so NM is the closest i can get to home. Very difficult to plan and dedicate the time to hunting elk in AZ when your in the Marines. but now its time to cash those points in!! i can't wait.

Oklahoma has some pretty good public land whitetail on the WMA's. Usually not large deer for must part, but you should be able to put some in the freezer. Generous bag limit too.

There is some public land in TX but not sure about west Texas. The Natl Forests in the east side of the state are an option if you're up for the drive.

Come on up to Oklahoma we have thousands of acres of public land around the lakes and rivers. I have a lease but end up hunting public about half the time to fill the freezers. These deer where shot on public8 pt.jpgView attachment 86334web small buck.jpg

Attachments

• 20161119_165956.jpg big buck (2).jpg
    20161119_165956.jpg big buck (2).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 209
wow! I am going to have to look into OK. Pretty cool picture of the buck in the boat. on a different note, I grew up in the west and have never thought about public lands, or cared for that matter. Always just taken public land for granted. just another reason to protect them and keep it public.

wow! I am going to have to look into OK. Pretty cool picture of the buck in the boat. on a different note, I grew up in the west and have never thought about public lands, or cared for that matter. Always just taken public land for granted. just another reason to protect them and keep it public.

I grew up in NM then moved to Kentucky. I definitely took public land for granted. It's tough out here!

And to the original point, there's some good deer hunting just a few hours from southern NM. The Gila wilderness isn't too far

Samking- I actually have a tag in 37 this November. I love hunting in NM. drive back home and lets go hunting!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back