New Mexico elk hunting

scorpio75

Hey fellow hunting enthusiasts. New to the site fo NM hunting and have just a couple questions that the rule book is vague on and havent been able to find any answers thru google. Lol Was hoping there is a few that can help with the answers or lead me in the right direction.
Couple of nonresidents that want to archery/rifle hunt. Have been reading the forums but haven't run across this. Have always hunted OTC units in Colorado but have limited time and decided time for a change. Having said all that, down to the questions.
When applying for the draw can you mix up the hunting types and dates on your application? Specifically, the 3 choices. Can i have my first choice first season archery in a unit 2nd choice first season rifle etc. and can i mix the units? So, my idea is 1st or 2nd archery as first choice 1st rifle second choice (same Unit) and then third choice late season rifle in a different unit.
Any help is appreciated.

Yes. Each hunt is a different code and you can put a different code in for each choice.
Ok that answers that. Next question, If I put in and application for 3 choices and my hunt buddy attaches to that application, can he put in an application with other choices and I attach to his application will it deny the application as being a duplicate.

Ok that answers that. Next question, If I put in and application for 3 choices and my hunt buddy attaches to that application, can he put in an application with other choices and I attach to his application will it deny the application as being a duplicate.
I’m pretty sure he just joins your party if I remember correctly. And no that would be like having 6 apps

One application. Once your Customer ID number is associated with an application it cannot be added to or submit another application for the same species
Got it. So basically, we need to decide exactly what are preferences are 1,2,3 submit and pray to the draw gods for something. I read they look at all 3 choices before moving on? 3rd ones a charm or 3 strikes and out?Lol

Got it. So basically, we need to decide exactly what are preferences are 1,2,3 submit and pray to the draw gods for something. I read they look at all 3 choices before moving on? 3rd ones a charm or 3 strikes and out?Lol

That's about it. Only thing I'd add is put the hunt with the lowest draw odds first and best last.

and make sure there are actually 2 nr tags for your hunt choice....

and make sure there are actually 2 nr tags for your hunt choice....
I've downloaded this past year draw results and found another percentage report for the last 3 years and have been working from that in boiling down areas. Not really looking for those "trophy areas" as I enjoy just getting into the woods and anything I see is a gift. Don't get me wrong a bull of a life time wouild be awesome but considering the travel and costs anything is a trophy!

Is that because theres a better chance in draw for the first one?
Your app is assigned a random number then they look at all three choices in order before looking at the next app. So if you are the lucky one assigned #1 you're going to draw your 1st choice.

That's about it. Only thing I'd add is put the hunt with the lowest draw odds first and best last.
I do this too, so the OP should take this with a grain of salt, but I have been thinking about this a little. I think it is the flaw in the NM system. If people keep putting in for those units with the worst draws odds first pick, the draw odds just keep getting worse, or at least never get better. I think first, make sure you pick a unit you want to hunt in. Specifically, does the terrain meet your style of hunt? You want to spike camp or drive around in a SxS? Don't just put in for the Gila units because the odds are less than 1% and you feel lucky. You better be damn sure that is the type of hunt you want to do.

Consider if you would help your buddy hunt or vice versa if there were only one tag - you might consider putting in separately, instead of as a party. Spread the wealth, so to speak. This is what my wife and I do, so in theory we have increased the chances of at least one of us getting to hunt. Has worked out so-so, mainly because NM is simply a difficult draw for either resident or NR. I have friends that do this, too. Basically the philosophy is that even if you don't get to carry a rifle, you are still getting to hunt.

David
NM

I do this too, so the OP should take this with a grain of salt, but I have been thinking about this a little. I think it is the flaw in the NM system. If people keep putting in for those units with the worst draws odds first pick, the draw odds just keep getting worse, or at least never get better. I think first, make sure you pick a unit you want to hunt in. Specifically, does the terrain meet your style of hunt? You want to spike camp or drive around in a SxS? Don't just put in for the Gila units because the odds are less than 1% and you feel lucky. You better be damn sure that is the type of hunt you want to do.
Trying not to give out a whole lot of information or ask to specific information. Was in a couple Colorado forums and got blasted for telling too much or asking too much. Some people get irate when asking for just a little help. They act like you're trying to get their honey hole info! I have 2 units in mind in the northern part of the state and have reading the forums and studying the maps. I'm familiar with the general location and towns around them. I grew up in NM, joined the military right outta high school and although my parents lived there until they both passed away, I haven't been back to take up residency. As mentioned before, I have been hunting an OTC unit in Colorado for the last 20 years but have a friend that is new to elk hunting and he's all about statistics and percentages. So, it'll be his first time and he's not "woods" savvy. He was AF and I Army. Lol We've hunted together in TX but that's a different kind of hunting. Trying to find an area that provides a great experience for him at the same time could be successful for both of us.
I'm open to private conversation if anyone wants to extend their knowledge to a newbie NM hunter.

Need a right or wrong on this.
I put in an application, my buddy puts in and application and we both attach to the others application. If one gets drawn the other is drawn also?

Need a right or wrong on this.
I put in an application, my buddy puts in and application and we both attach to the others application. If one gets drawn the other is drawn also?
I have never put in for a group app in NM so I am not 100% sure, but I think only one person can put in the group app because the group only gets one assigned draw number at the start of the process. If you are unsure, I would wait and call someone at NMGF on Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back