Mem Weekend getaway

mconway951

Well guys i woke up this morning with no plans for the weekend and just decided i am gonna go tour out west for a few days I dont have to be back for anything until thursday afternoon so I am gonna head west out of MN and do some touring and scouting always wanted to go to NW Nebraska and check out the country i have heard there is some good deer hunting there. Also prob gonna head to wyoming and do some checking on some public land i have found there.
Have a fun and safe weekend ill see yall when i get back.

Random road trips are one of life's greatest pleasures. Make the most of it.

Well had a great weekend out hiking and scouting i love being in the woods and went alone this time so on the drive i didn't have to stop for bathroom breaks or anything else on the hikes i didn't have to wait for anybody it was great. I started in Nebraska checked out the state forest land south of chadrin saw some mulies and whittails some had decent horn growth most weren't haning around long enough to get there pic taken. Went and drove almost every road through the oglala national grass lands. I saw tons of antelope but never saw a deer out there now granted i didn't get out and hike but i glassed from the road a lot and never saw a deer. I have heard great things about mule deer hunting there and was just surprised to not see a deer. Anybody have any thoughts on that was i doing something wrong could they just all have been way way off the road i could see for literally a mile out there in most places from the road?
Anybody ever hunt this area of Nebraska thinking of doing a dec muzzleloader hunt there dont really care mule deer or whitetail just looking for a decent deer.
After that I went up to the black hills in SD where I turkey hunt lots to just see the area at a different time of the year i am normally there mid april. Saw tons of deer again and while hiking walked up on a large group of cow elk they let me get within 40yds or so
Here are some pics of the weekend

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 130
Sounds like time well spent. Hope you can do it again in the fall - that is a great time to be in the Black Hills and on the Great Plains.

Speaking of getting away for the long weekend..... We made it over to our place in E. Oregon and took off the winter siding and built the front steps on the porch.

NewSteps.jpg

Back