Caribou Gear Tarp

Family Trip to Alaska - Let’s Talk

We lived outside of Fairbanks for 30 years.
I agree with the other posts, I would skip the drive to the Arctic Circle...it is just a sign,
and the 4-hour one way drive is not that scenic compared to the drive to Valdez.

You could get a flight to the Arctic Circle out of Fairbanks if you wanted.
Some Fairbanks spots to check out, depending on your interests:
1) 12-mile and Eagle Summit up the Steese Highway and the 27 mile Pinnell Mountain Trail.
2) Chena Hot Springs Resort
3) Riverboat Discovery
4) Fish Hatchery in town
5) Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum
6) Pipeline viewing stop by Fox
7) Silver Gulch restaurant/brewery by Fox
8) Fairbanks/North Pole has more Thai restaurant per capita than any other place in North America, they are all good
9) Creamers Field/ Fish and Game Headquarters
10) Tanana Lakes Recreation Area/ Tanana River..up close look at a large glacial river

Since origin/departure is from Anchorage, you could do a big loop,
Anchorage, Glenn Highway to Glennallen, south to Valdez, stopping at Worthington Glacier, then Horsetail Falls,
spend a day in Valdez either on a boat tour or fishing.
Richardson Highway through Big Delta to Fairbanks, spend a couple days in the Fairbanks area,
the Parks Highway to Denali, Talkeetna, and back to Anchorage.

See if she will settle for a picture in front of the North Pole sign...

The long days are really confusing. You are driving along and start to feel hungry, think about getting some lunch and realize it's 6 o'clock in the evening...But I lose track of time on the highway...

My rule of thumb is one big thing per day and let the rest fall in place. Driving with Family, I add 15% to all Waze drive times, and each kid gets a roadside "hey lets check that out" opportunity per day. Had too many cool things like swimming holes, hot springs and community events that i didn't plan for just pop up along the way.

Alaska is Big. In a week I only covered between Seward and Talkeetna with a drive as far as I could go into Denali. I also did a race in Anchorage, but that's another story. Enjoy your trip and don't be ashamed when you say "shoulda done this years ago!"

I would skip Fairbanks and the Arctic circle if it was me. I couldn't image going to Fairbanks on purpose. :)

Your trip will be all driving and you're doing too much and not enjoying it. Many of our roads suck and it takes longer to get places. The good news is you will have plenty of daylight to burn. Haha. The drive north of FIA is lame until you get to the Brooks. Flat and a wall of trees. As mentioned, doubt a rental car company will let you go up there either. Most don't but people still take them. Your insurance should cover your rental, but check.

Personally what I would do is make a loop from Anchorage via Cantwell, Denali Highway, Valdez to Whittier via ferry. Can make a couple day side trip to McCarthy,which is super cool. Fish the Klutina in Copper Center. Most rentals say no on the Denali Highway to, but I'd still go. :) It's 100 miles of dirt and has plenty of traffic. No cell service though. Stay at Alpine Creek Lodge along the way. Alternative you could skip the Valdez and McCarthy section and turn at Glennallen and drive back to Anchorage. This is about 600 miles of driving and you can see all you want of Alaska. I've done this loop in a long ass day before a few times. This is by far the best most scenic drive.

You can only drive into Denali park about 30 miles the road is closed for construction. Your odds of seeing the mountain is always low anyway, so keep that in mind for a flight tour of you do it.

The wildlife center and the sea life center are not that cool IMO. My kids can take or leave them. Both will cost you $200+ for your family for an hour of entertainment.

Fishing the Russian around the 4th of July is usually still good. By the end of your trip the lower Kenia and Kasiloff will start fishing ok. Silvers are not in anywhere, and fishing the salt won't likely be producing much either. Too early. Good luck catching a brn door! They are rare and even rarer on tourist boat out of Seward or Homer. Tourist boats are great at fishing money out of your pocket and giving you 12lbs of halibut for $300... Good charters are booked by now, and run $400--450pp but you might luck out and find one with 4 seats. You get what you pay for keep that in mind. I would look at charters out of Happy Valley or Nanilchik Less expensive and better fishing, but halibut only.

I'm ready for summer!

There are a number of Kennels along that route, many in Talkeetna and Willow area and some on the Denali Highway

Fairbanks is pretty boring, IMO. I'm up there for work often and the only highlight is the food scene. There is a cool gold panning place in Fox called Gold Daughters, they have other stuff there to look at as well. Mining and oil pipeline stuff. A cool aviation museum too.

Good luck planning!

I agree with everyone so far. You’re definitely pushing it with the schedule. Agree with Moose’s Tooth for pizza and beer. As noted, the wait can be long. I’d also recommend Glacier Brewhouse (a little spendy) and Humpy’s. Humpy’s is somewhat touristy but still fun and decent food. If you’re in town for breakfast, Gwennie’s is our go to spot.

The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks is 5ish hours without stopping. That said, Talkeetna is a neat little town and has distillery worth checking out and a good brewpub in town. Once you pass Denali entrance and all the gift shops, 49th State Brewing in Healy is a good stop if it works out. Nice brewery with decent food and beer.

Mainstream car rental companies do not allow you to drive their vehicles on the Dalton or Denali highways. There are at least 2 companies that specialize in renting suvs/trucks specifically for folks wanting to drive these highways. They are also a bit spendy and you may already be up against the wall for availability. I don’t recall the company names but I’m sure you can find them easily enough. Also keep in mind that driving to the circle and back is a push do to in a day. You can rarely get much above 50mph and there’s always something to stop and check out. There really isn’t much at the circle once you get there besides the sign, other than toilets and a camping area. Still worth the trip to say you’ve done it.

There isn’t much in Fairbanks, so we usually only run in for supplies though there are a few gift shops in town. Santa Clause house in North Pole is a must stop and I second the recommendation on the Mongolian beef from Pagoda. Chena Hot springs is a cool place to visit, just keep in mind that its about a 120 mile round trip from Fairbanks. Other spots in the area worth the time IMO - Banks Alehouse, good food, beer and service every time we’ve been. Ivory Jacks outside of town off Goldstream road - has character and we like their pizza.

When is came to Seward, we were ‘meh’ at best and didn’t spend any time there. I do echo the sentiment to check out Exit glacier. Personally, I’d go to Valdez or Homer over Seward. If you go to Valdez, pink salmon or humpy’s will be running and quite easy to catch from the Richardson on the east side. Plenty of pull offs to pull over and fish.

Bambistew is spot on with the Denali Hwy. Beautiful drive and plenty of spots to cast a line. On the Paxson side, McLaren River Lodge was a nice stop.

Thanks everybody for all the information so far. Really good and lots to think about.

As an aside, we’re on our own on the first half of the trip because my aunt and uncle will be in glacier view watching them chuck cars off a cliff. Anybody heard of this?

Thanks everybody for all the information so far. Really good and lots to think about.

As an aside, we’re on our own on the first half of the trip because my aunt and uncle will be in glacier view watching them chuck cars off a cliff. Anybody heard of this?
Been there. It's pretty cool! Lots of YouTube videos on it.

Having done (8) trips to AK, I think your schedule is biting off a whole lot more driving and travel than you will be able to accomplish in that time.
I've done the cruise / inland tour thing and would not recommend. Felt like being herded around like cattle.

The trip I enjoyed the most was flying out from Anchorage to stay at a remote full service lodge that took us out every day via float plane so sight see, fish and shore lunch on different lakes and rivers within an hour or less flight from the lodge. Back at the lodge every evening for first class meals, cocktails, hot showers, nice accommodations, etc. Small aircraft is the only way to really see much of Alaska.

My family and I was just up there this past June and had a pretty good time. We started in Anchorage, went to Fairbanks (after my family picked me up in Talkeetna), then Back down to Anchorage, Seward, then over to Kodiak and then up to Utqiagvik (Barrow), and then home. A couple of notes:

1) While in Fairbanks, we did a dog sled tour at Black Spruce Dog Sledding and I have to say, it was a highlight of the trip. My family are dog lovers and we had a good time touring the kennel and getting pulled by the dogs on a training run (really in a UTV in neutral). Either way, the tour was well done and the people were super friendly.
2) Also in Fairbanks, we did this walk with Reindeer thing. It was interesting to get up close to them but overall, kind of boring.
3) In Seward, we did the Exit Glacier hike, which was awesome. Also, we did a Kenai Fjords cruise. We saw tons of sea life (whales, sea lions, etc) and it also took you right up to another glacier. My kids really enjoyed that (6 and 8 year old boys).
4) Kodiak was fun and we were scheduled to get a bear seeing tour but the weather turned to crap so it got cancelled.
5) Lastly, the trip to Utqiagvik was interesting. Not much to do up there in Mid June (still sea ice was everywhere) but if you are fortunate enough to get out to Point Barrow, you can see Polar Bears. Also, being up at 2am and having it bright daylight outside is trippy.

Flattop?

I agree with most others, your timeline is off. It’s a push to make anchorage-Fairbanks in a day without a stop. The last half in Seward and Whittier seems more appropriate time wise.

During that time the reds should be running on the Kenai and the Russian river. But that also means the people will be there.
Yep, I think it was Flat top. Way to go from my " I don't recall, but it's in Anchorage" description...hahah..

I have too agree with all the above that your itinerary is very ambitious. I would suggest limiting your travel to Denali and the Kenai peninsula. The reason I say that is due to the excessive amount of time you would be spending on the road and how little time you would actually be able to spend at any of the spots. Especially with 2 kids in the car. Savor your trip and enjoy it over a mad dash from spot to spot. If you do have the time I suggest clam guning out on the Kenai peninsula for a morning or evening activity with the kids. It's a lot of fun and they can play a bit on the beach.

After spending over a month traveling Alaska, the family agreed if we were to fly in for a shorter trip that Denali and the Kenai peninsula would be the focus.

I took my youngest son up to Alaska back in 2015 , to show him where I grew up , took him up to Denali and stopped in Talkeetna for an overnight on the way up .

There’s a Couple great restaurants there that were on the original Man vs Food show , also did the zipline there , good times he was in 5th or 6th grade I think , Roadhouse for breakfast is strongly recommend , Alaska is amazing, you’ll have fun whatever you choose

IMG_3348.jpegIMG_3376.jpegIMG_3379.jpegIMG_3381.jpegIMG_3370.pngIMG_3352.jpegIMG_3371.pngIMG_3556.jpeg

While you’re in Anchorage, stop in for some pizza and beer at Moose’s Tooth, and get the Diablo sauce if you like spicy food! Better yet, if you have the time, is to go to Bear’s Tooth Theaterpub. Same people, same pizza, but you’re eating & drinking while watching a discounted movie. Great way to keep the kids entertained for a few hours.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back