Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bridger mule deer

Spedray

I have grown up in the gallatin valley. My hunting partner and I have decided to go all in on the Bridgers this year. We usually hunt in SE Montana for deer. With the harsh winter and dwindling numbers, we decided to take a break and hunt close to home. I know this isn’t the tag it was growing up in the 90’s. I have hunted off and on for elk in the area in November. I have seen some ok bucks during the rut. I have never bow hunted this area though. Do the buck tend to hang out in the head wall areas during bow season? Went scouting last weekend, and while the area looked amazing, we saw very few deer tracks. Am I out of line thinking we can hold out for a 170” buck? Going to be going out almost every weekend during season and not afraid to hike. Just looking for some general guidance in elevation I should be looking at. Thanks to all that help.
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 271
  • 70941870877__6FC8A7BF-659B-43EC-8D22-5D0E85ECFB2D.jpeg
    70941870877__6FC8A7BF-659B-43EC-8D22-5D0E85ECFB2D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 281
I’ve only seen one mule deer buck in the Bridgers over 170, unfortunately for you he walked right across the road out of the special draw unit and in to a general unit. Now his rack sits under my friends house waiting for him to get enough balls to tell his wife off and pay a taxidermist. Too bad I was already tagged out that year.

Start banging on doors on springhill road homie! Seen some cheaters N drops in the front lawns in years past..

As far as actually IN the bridgers….
man….
I think I might actually know right where @Doublecluck is talkin……..

Access isn’t an issue. I have a few places lined up already. More wondering what elevation range I should be looking at for early season and if there are still some nice 170” bucks hanging around. A friend had this guy hanging around this winter.

Attachments

• 14A974C0-.jpeg
    14A974C0-.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 305
I have grown up in the gallatin valley. My hunting partner and I have decided to go all in on the Bridgers this year. We usually hunt in SE Montana for deer. With the harsh winter and dwindling numbers, we decided to take a break and hunt close to home. I know this isn’t the tag it was growing up in the 90’s. I have hunted off and on for elk in the area in November. I have seen some ok bucks during the rut. I have never bow hunted this area though. Do the buck tend to hang out in the head wall areas during bow season? Went scouting last weekend, and while the area looked amazing, we saw very few deer tracks. Am I out of line thinking we can hold out for a 170” buck? Going to be going out almost every weekend during season and not afraid to hike. Just looking for some general guidance in elevation I should be looking at. Thanks to all that help.
Jon
I think 170” isn’t a reasonable expectation anymore. It used to be. However I would probably go for it but I don’t mind eating tags. It’s way better to eat those than chips and Oreos imo.

Edit: sheet…I just got punked😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DFS
I think 170” isn’t a reasonable expectation anymore. It used to be. However I would probably go for it but I don’t mind eating tags. It’s way better to eat those than chips and Oreos imo.

Edit: sheet…I just got punked😂
That’s not what I wanted to hear but it will still be an experience. Last time I was in there 5 years ago for an elk hunt we saw some 150” main frame bucks with some extra cheaters. Hopefully I can atleast find a unique buck.

Best of luck on the hunt. Wish it was worth applying for. A few buddies have and ate their tag. Beautiful country and if you’re fine shooting an okay buck it could be a fun adventure. Surprise us all!

Living in Bozeman w/ Bridgers deer permit would be like being on house arrest. You can’t look anywhere else and are stuck in a dogshit mule deer area. And, if you find a nice one - there’s a house within a hundred yards.
Our office native montanan swears there's giants out there, he's seen 'em! He says that about everything and everywhere in MT. The dude couldn't find a fault in his home state if his life depended on it.

Our office native montanan swears there's giants out there, he's seen 'em! He says that about everything and everywhere in MT. The dude couldn't find a fault in his home state if his life depended on it.
Give the man a break. He's an endangered species. Harder to find a Native Montanan than a West Slope Cutty.

Back